“Clean, Quiet, and Outstanding Service”

Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Service was the key. Unlike may hotels, the staff here actually seemed to care about guest service. When they asked a question, they actually listened for the answer instead of just asking because it was part of some script. Check in and out we're both quick and easy even with several guests to process. The room was clean, quiet, and well designed with plenty of outlets for the electronics. USA Today was waiting at the door early the next morning. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg for two nights and found it to be an odd experience. My room had floors that were not swept, drapes that were falling off their drapery hooks, uncomfortable lumpy pillows and it faced a brick wall. There were 14 of us who stayed at this hotel and each person had a negative story to tell about their room. One item to pay attention to is that the 1st floor is the basement and yes they have guest rooms in the basement. The second floor is really the first floor and the meeting rooms are right next to the guest rooms.

On the positive side the staff could not have been nicer, the heating system actually worked and the temperature in the room was the temperature on the thermostat. The bathrooms were very clean and the shower had good pressure.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is our pleasure to hear kind words about our friendly staff.
We are sincerely sorry for the issues you had during your stay. It is our goal to consistently ensure our hotel and services are superior. Your comments are important to our success, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.Thanks again and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed 10 March 2013

This hotel is completely OK, not great and not bad. Pretty much as expected. The staff are good, the breakfast is plentiful and again, OK. The room service is good. The rooms are good, decor a bit dull, and if you look behind the furniture, the wiring points are loose and might be dangerous. The plumbing is suspect, with water coming out of the wrong part of the tap, and the toilets block with monotonous regularity. The hot water supply is excellent and the temperature easy to adjust. I would stay here again (have done twice) and there is nowhere else in town that is better value, though value is affected by proximity to Washington which raises prices, of course. All in all, entirely satisfactory and on the plus side of average, but they should have a look at the wiring and the plumbing.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear rh1312,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and your experience makes you want to come back to our hotel. Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have stayed at this hotel once a month for about the last two years. The staff has always been exceptionally attentive and helpful. The rooms I have stayed in have been well appointed, beds comfortable, temperatures adjustable to my needs and clean. Bathrooms were clean. Towels are nicely thick and absorbent. Breakfast buffet was very good.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank phsinv
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg, MD for the good part of 2 months while on business. The accommodations are above average, the rooms are clean and well kept, and the value is unbeatable. However, the hotel staff is what makes this hotel the place to stay when in the Gaithersburg area. The staff, especially the afternoon and evening staff managed by Isidro Alberto, is especially accommodating, very helpful, and friendly, always willing to assist with any request. The staff exemplifies the meaning of service to the customer.

Room Tip: Great breakfast, clean rooms, centrally located.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. it is our pleasure to hear kind words about Isidro Alberto and our staff. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your accommodations and your stay. We wish you safe travels and look froward to serving you in the future. Thanks again!

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Ok, this is probably one of my harder reviews because my stay was without issues but there are some concerns with the hotel as others have reviewed here and colleagues that was with had some issues ( more on this below)..........

I stayed here for 2 weeks as part of a large group attending a conference down in Bethesda, MD....so didn't have a choice of where to stay....

MY REVIEW:
As mentioned before I had a comfortable stay with no issues. As far as the hotel review itself, it is located in a suburban part of Maryland with a Costco and other shopping areas around the hotel right off the 270. There are many good restaurants ( driving distance) within the area.

Hotel is large for a Holiday Inn and found out that this is not a Holiday Inn Express which are newer and great. This is a traditional Holiday Inn so it is dated with regards to decorations and inside.....this part was evident.

Reception staff and staff in general were outstanding!! In fact (as others have reviewed) this is what made the hotel a good stay for myself. Friendly staff to include front desk to the maid's and also restaurant personnel all friendly, which is a plus.

My hotel room was located with others attending this conference, so all of our rooms were together. Room was spacious and was clean. Came with refrigerator and microwave ( don't know if this is standard since we were part of a large group). Bed was comfortable and clean and bathroom was clean with hot water and good water pressure. Room again was outdated with decor and furniture and noticed some cracks in the walls and doors......so overall they need a major renovation or update if they want to remain competative .

They had a small gym in basement which had 3 treadmills, bike and a nautilus system....ok. Tried their pub downstairs, ok food and good brews on tap. Tried their breakfast one day and was good.

Now to tell of some of the concerning reviews from my colleagues. There has been mention of bed bugs in prior reviews and it seems this is unfortunately accurate. Person I knew told management and they confirmed bed bugs were present after he had received some bites. I know bed bugs can happen even at 5 star hotels so hopefully management is doing something. I also talked to someone else in our group who had to change rooms for cockroaches......Finally there is a fire station one block down the road. depending on which part of the hotel you are on, you will hear sirens at all parts of the day/night. Ask the front desk about this as my colleague had sleep issues.

So hotel was comfortable for me and saw no bugs but I think the Hotel needs a major renovation and needs to change it's image fast with it's bed bug issue. I can't say I would recommend this hotel for my family or friends given the concern. Although my stay was a 3 have to give it a 2 given major concerns it has.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank globetrotterswannebe
HIGaithersburg, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Thank you for your valuable insights. We rely on our guests to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet their needs. We have taken note of your feedback and this will be used to reconsider improvements as we renovate our hotel. We take the matter of bedbugs extremely seriously and we do have one of the industry's most prominent pest control providers that conduct montly inspections of our hotel to ensure that our beds are clean and bug-free. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Melvin.Nichols@BFSaul.com

Reviewed 8 February 2013

I stayed here for two weeks as I was attending a class in a nearby city. When you drive up to the hotel, the parking lot (or covered garage if you prefer) are clean, well maintained. The garage is very nice during cold weather, rain. The lobby is well-lit and clean. Front desk staff were great, nice, warm, courteous. My room, however, was not great at all. I statyed on the 7th floor and when I walked out of the elevator, the light is dimmed and hallways appear dark. The carpet appears dated. The room looked like a slight upgrade from the hall way. The bathroom had a leaky faucet, but I will say that the water pressure in the faucet and bathtub were wonderful and water became warm to hot very quickly (watch out if you have small kids). The fridge in the room was more like a freezer and froze everything. The microwave turn table did not rotate and only heated my food 1/2 way. I had to microwave several times to get the food to a decent temperature. The bathroom had missing tiles in the baseboard; this was an eyesore. Sometimes housekeeping didn't replace my coffee area with new cups. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I've stayed in, the support in the mattress was so poor; i nearly fell to the floor when I would sit on the edge of the bed.

A few of my classmates had significant complaints. One had roaches and had to be moved to another room. Two others had visible bed bugs and one had bed bug bites all over his arms, shoulders, back, chest! This is horrible. While I don't have those complaints at this time, I'm worried that I might in a few days. Everytime I have an itch, I think its a bed bug. I have not searched the online bed-bug registry, but I heard from other classmates that this hotel listed on it several times.

Room service was great and the food in the cafe and pub weren't bad at all. However, I probably wouldn't stay here again.

2  Thank NavyNurse1998

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I have shared your comments in detail with those managers who have responsibility for the areas of concerns that you have detailed. We do have one of the industry's most prominent pest control providers, Steritech, that conducts monthly inspections of our hotel and hotel rooms. I assure you that when there is any type of bedbug claim we take measures to ensure that our beds are clean and free of bedbugs. If you would like to discuss this in person, please feel free to contact me directly at any time.

(301) 948-8900