“Great Hotel Experience”

Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had been traveling from the Outer Banks and needed to stop for the night. We got a room on the spot and since we did not want to drive anymore were pleasantly surprised when we saw many choices for eating walking distance from the hotel. It has a lovely green space for walking around around a pond. We had great nights sleep as well and the staff were all friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Awolfe584
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for staying at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel and reviewing us on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you had a “great night sleep” and the “staff were all friendly and welcoming” to you and your family. Thank you again for choosing our hotel for a last minute stop and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

This is a nice 3 star hotel. It's nice but not spectacular. The hotel seems a little old, but fine for a few night's stay. The best feature is it's close proximity to the Washingtonian Center, where there are numerous restaurants, boutique shops, movie theatre, and lake. Much of the center is relatively new.

Yes, I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014
Sara M, General Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

I'm sorry to learn that your impression of the hotel was less than satisfactory on your recent visit. I certainly understand your comments and appreciate the feedback. Should you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me directly at the hotel at 301-590-0044.

Kind Regards,

Sara Moore

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We attended a wedding last weekend and the choice was excellent. Check in was easy and accommodating. We had a lovely room with a view overlooking the lake. It was such a pleasure after a six hour drive to walk right outside and have everything at our fingertips from dining to shopping. Having restaurants, shops and a movie theater situated around a beautiful lake was amazing. There was even a live band by the lake at night
I cannot say enough about the staff. Ned was exceptional and took care of any need we had.He really is an ambassador for the hospitality business. I also want to give a shout out to Wade,Michael and Lindsey who also addressed our needs throughout the weekend.
We will definitely return if we are in the area.

Room Tip: Request one overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for staying at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center while you attended a wedding. Looks like the staff at our hotel along with our location, contributed to making your stay excellent. We look forward to seeing you again in the future and thank you for providing your review on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Staff were exceptionally friendly during check in and were very helpful at suggesting surrounding activities and options for eating etc. I was only staying here one night on business, so was looking for some decent sleep and this was a fantastic bed - I could barely get out of it in the morning I was so comfortable.

The soda / pop machine on my floor was broken, which was annoying, though they have a little shop by reception so I was still able to get something. Also, the water did not drain well at this hotel in my room; I really hate that though I know many hotels have a lot of trouble with that. I usually try to mention it but didn't have time today.

Also, as with most Mariott's this hotel charges for phone and internet. Ridiculous in 2014; so cheap to provide and such a necessity. Oh well, just used the hotspot in my phone as everyone should when a hotel charges for internet. A smarter way is to offer basic internet for free, and charge for high speed. That seems much more reasonable to me.

Would happily recommend this hotel it is in a nice location and has a lake beside it, with lots of shops etc nearby.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for reviewing the hotel on Tripadvisor. I do apologize that the beverage machine was not working on your floor. I also wanted to note that in the restaurant and lobby area, we offer complimentary high speed internet. Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel and please stay with us again. Please contact me with any questions.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We really enjoyed our one night stay. Good service, nice room and great location for enjoying the Rio Washingtonian Center. Great morning breakfast buffet! The only drawback for us was that there was no pool.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel and reviewing us on Tripadvisor. Our breakfast buffet has a lot of selections and we are glad that you enjoyed it. Also, approximately two years ago the hotel was renovated and the indoor pool was removed so our guests could host events in our new Lakeside Ballroom. Please contact me with any questions. Thank you again for your business and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I loved the location of the hotel. I really did not mind the parking situation. I have plenty of patience and parked all the way at the top which made it easy to get to and from my car, and I felt safe walking to and from during the day and night. The hotel has an awesome pool with a Jacuzzi and both were heated so it was a great time to relax my sore muscles from mountain biking.
You will find everything you need at this place, literally, shopping, food, beer, wine, awesome views of the lake. The bad side was the customer service. I booked through Priceline and after staying my 2 nights I went to check out and the woman at the front desk said I did not rate to use my rewards card. Which was shocking and very disappointing. I always use my rewards card and this was the first time it was not honored. She seemed not a bit concerned since I was leaving. Can someone give me in writing the rules and policy on booking through a 3rd party? Otherwise she just has bad customer service and will not be staying again.

Room Tip: Ensure to request a room with the view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

The Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center Hotel does accept Marriott Rewards Cards. I also wanted to mention that we do not have an indoor pool which you referred to in your tripadvisor response. Please contact me directly so I can provide you with information on rules and policies on booking through a 3rd party. Thank you for choosing to stay with Marriott.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Had to stay here as it was mandatory for a sports tournament event was registered at to play in the area over memorial weekend.
Did I say nothing spectacular? Yes and it was… let’s just agree a forgettable experience.
For $150/night and not to have enough towels in your room… not even soap bar, and even worse when called to order they bring soap bar, they came to our room in a few minutes with 10shower gel, as I reminded the gentleman that came up that our need was that of soap bars, he simply said “No one knows where they are and this is what I had” how can not one person inside this hotel have any clue where the soap bars are put away when the crew goes home??? Ridiculous!!!! And yet the three nights we stayed not one person came over with the soap bars, I guess they were saving them. No idea.
Day 2, I take a shower, my son takes a shower, then my husband… and he starts calling me… I rush to the bathroom and to point out to me, the water on the tub is still there as the drainage does not work GREAT! Just what I need, call again front desk and a repairman is sent over… so never knew how long it took him, for we had to go. All I know is that it was fixed, still how could this happen in a hotel that given where it is situated, they need to be able to support many people taking showers at the same time and tub should NEVER clog!!
Rooms were smaller than average as in between beds barely room to walk and one of the beds was practically by the wall. Basically rooms are tight, for what we are used to seeing.
Overall a forgettable experience, never what to have to go back!
Only positive location, there were several restaurants in the area. But then again we have a car, so we could have driven to any restaurant we wanted.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Mario L, Manager at Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback and comments about your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us was a “very forgettable experience.” We pride ourselves on outstanding customer service and providing an exceptional stay for all our guests and clearly we did not deliver for you. If you visit the Gaithersburg, Maryland area again, please consider staying with us so we can make your future stay a memorable one.