“Rather good”

TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This place is very clean and meets most needs. The rooms are very adequate and the suites have all the amenities needed for a longer term stay. The only problem with this property, if it can be called a problem, is in comparison to the Hilton property known as Homewood Suites; an evening meal is served in the Hilton property and smoking rooms are available. In addition, the simple space available in each room seems better in the Homewood Suites.

Having said that, the very great strength of this hotel is the staff. Each and every person was accommodating, personable, and helpful. You can sacrifice on square footage when the human element is so strong. For the price, it is an excellent value.

The deceptive thing about this hotel is that most will enter from West Diamond Road. It appears devoid of normal restaurant choices; however, if you simply do down the road about two more miles, you will run into a shopping center with Panera Bread, Boston Market, and a number of other choices.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Reage55

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were in town for an extended lacrosse tournament and having a clean, extended stay hotel so near the facility we would visit each day was perfect. The rooms were clean and the fully equiped kitchen helped us eat a few meals in and even prepare a homemade dinner one of our nights. This is a huge deal when we travel for weeks at a time. The breakfast in the morning had a little bit of something for everyone- mainly all carbs, but it was decent enough.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

A smoke free room is supposed to be a smoke free room, but when we checked into our room it smelled of smoke terribly. Not only that, but the room just felt dirty. The first time we complained an employee came into the room and his solution was spraying some febreeze. Great?! Not so much. When we complained again they brought a century old dehumidifier into the room. When asked why this wasn't ever taken care of before we arrived their answer was "our cleaning ladies are just slack." Wonderful. After complaining a multitude of times, they did switch us to a new room (which was WAY better) and sincerely apologize. Don't think I will be staying here ever again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Natypie
TPSGaithersburg, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. The entire team at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Gaithersburg works to make sure that each and every guest has a great stay. When we are not able to meet and exceed guest needs, we use the comments as training tools to ensure we deliver a superior stay for future guests. Thank you again for your comments, I have shared them will the entire staff. We do hope that you will give us a second chance to make a great first impression!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Based on some reviews I read, I was a little unsure of this hotel. But I found it to be clean and comfortable with a very friendly and helpful staff. The furnishings are just starting to show the high use signs, but everything was clean and comfortable. Overall, a pretty good experience

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is not a complete overall review of the hotel as it's meant to document two incidents that have occurred recently.

I've been staying at the hotel during the work week for almost two years. My girlfriend has joined me most of the past year as she works in the room while I'm at the office.

Twice in the last month, there's been two incidents where the same male cleaning staff has entered the room when he shouldn't have. The first incident was he knocked. When my girlfriend yelled NOT to come in, he came in anyways. As it turned out, she was in her underwear after a shower.

Yesterday, it happened again with the same person. My girlfriend just came back to the room, so she didn't lock the door right away. The cleaning person came in WITHOUT knocking. She immediately told him to leave.

After the first incident, we told one of the management staff. She's a great person and we love her. But when we told the property manager and the housekeeping manager of the problem yesterday, both parties mentioned that they weren't told of the problem that occurred the first time. This tells me that either this previous incident wasn't considered "serious" or it means that they don't have appropriate communication to escalate when things happen.

My girlfriend feels extremely violated and I'm very upset about the two incidents. We're hoping that this male cleaner is NOT allowed to ever be assigned to our room. Without going through all the details, he is not at the same level as the female cleaner at the property.

According to my girlfriend, the cleaning person's English is excellent. According to the manager, he not hearing impaired.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Lawrence W
TPSGaithersburg, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay. The entire team here at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Gaithersburg want to make sure that each and every guest has a great experience. I have shared your concerns with the Housekeeping Department and we are taking the necessary steps to make sure that each employee is trained and aware of their and guest surroundings. We appreciate you letting us know about your stay. Should you have any additional comments or concerns please email me directly at dan.appolonio@bfsaul.com. Thank you again for your comments.

Dan Appolonio

Reviewed 27 February 2014

First of all, the staff is phenomenal!! I stayed here last October and didn't have any issues. In fact, it was great. This visit has been less than favorable. My first day was Tuesday and the light on my phone was on and couldn't get it off. I've covered it up while I sleep. Then I realized the heater wasn't working properly. I had it up on 86 just to keep it decent. Terrance came over to check it and offered to move rooms. I declined because I had already unpacked everything. Yesterday, I came back from work to find that many of the TV channels, including The Weather Channel, did not have sound. Today, the issue has still not been resolved. Apparently it's a DirecTV issue. Sonny has been great and brought me a review card and, for my troubles, some goodies. If it weren't for the employees and the fact I'm here on business, I would have changed hotels. The staff is the best thing about this place. I'm not happy with quality of stay though. Not sure I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Beverly C
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed there for a month for relocation. The hotel is OK, staff at the front desk are nice.
The room was fine, but the room we first got had a very stinky sofa. We assumed it was pet's pee or something. We told the hotel staff about that and they changed it with another one promptly. But the staff mentioned "I don't smell anything" kind of accusing or doubting us, which was very annoying. Seriously, anybody should be able to smell that (my husband who is usually very not sensitive to smell could smell it!).

House keeping kept forgetting a right set of towels every day, so we had to call the front desk requesting additional towels every day...Breakfast is just a snack stand. We got tired of it within a few days and started to buy bread and other stuff by ourselves. There is a train track close to the hotel, so we constantly hear trains even through nights.

We prepaid for a month stay, but after we left, we received a bill charging for a pet. we never took our pet to the hotel. I called them and they refunded it immediately, but still, they were not organized in terms of reservation. However, we appreciate they were flexible when we had to make changes in check-in date multiple times.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
TPSGaithersburg, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you again for taking time to let us know how we are doing. I have printed your comments so that the entire staff here at the TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg can work on our service and delivery in an effort to ensure each and every guest can have a great experience. Please know that when we have a guest who has had a disappointing stay, we take the time to review the comments so that we can learn and improve on our ability to make sure that every guest is satisfied. Thank you again for your comments. Should you have any additional information to pass on to me please email me at dan.appolonio@bfsaul.com. Thank you again for staying with TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg.

Dan Appolonio