“Excellent Hotel”

Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel a week ago and I have to say it is one of the best hotel out there. Rooms are clean free wifi not to mention the wonderful Front Desk stuff. The young African lady at the desk in the morning is extremely pleasant, always have a smile on no matter what time of the day you catch her. I was given a 2 double bedded room upon arrival and when I asked to be moved, the request was granted immediately. Great customer service. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Bradovonne
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Hello Bradovonne—thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent stay and for taking the time to let others know of your experience. I am delighted to hear the details of your stay and pleased that you found everything to your liking. I will share your feedback with our staff as it will be very motivational. I hope to see you here again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I am a Hilton Honors member, however did not receive upgrade and it was a non-holiday, non-weekend business travel. The bed was not as comfortable as I am used to and the telephone in the room did not work. The front desk staff made me feel like I was doing them a favor for staying there. This is not the norm for Hilton. Maybe it was a bad day for her. I was not asked how my stay was when leaving. I don't think they cared.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Hello WOnderfulLife—thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for your recent business travel to the area. I am very sorry that you were not totally satisfied with your stay and that the staff did not make you feel cared for, as they should. Your choice of us as your hotel is very important and we do care that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. I will be discussing this with our front office management and staff. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that you will choose us again when your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I received a good discount to stay at the Hilton - and can't complain for the price! The pool area, hot tub, and workout room were nice. Staff DEFINITELY went out of their way to help with two different situations. Although the hotel is not new, and you can see some wear and tear, it was a good stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Hello lakerogers- thank you for your kind comments relating to your recent stay at our hotel. It is most satisfying to see that you have complimented our staff and noted boldly that they went out of their way to help. I will pass these comments again. We look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

We stayed at this property Thanksgiving weekend. I am a Hilton Honors member and while I'm often upgraded to a suite when I travel for business (and don't require one), I asked for an upgrade at this property (so my kids could have their own space) and was denied due to no availability - understood as it was a holiday weekend. In order to accomodate all of us, I ended up purchasing an extra room, which was not adjoined to the one I'd reserved earlier - not an issue. The issue, however, was the large bug my wife found and had to kill in the bathroom of her room - extremely disgusting and unsettling for her to sleep in that room. It was late when we got back to the hotel, so she wanted to get my son to sleep and didn't make an issue at the time, however, it was disappointing to spend so much and find a huge bug in the bathroom. The staff was very nice, the room was comfortable, the toiletries very nice and we enjoyed the hotel breakfast the next day - however, will reconsider staying here in the future (and we do travel to DC frequently to visit family) due to the bug situation...

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
HiltonManagement, Director Of Rooms at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Hi Wayne L,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Gaithersburg and acknowledging our services as you stated; "The staff was very nice, the room was comfortable, the toiletries very nice and we enjoyed the hotel breakfast the next day." While upgrading to a suite is based on availability, it was not available on your visit but the Front Desk honored the next best which was free upgrades to the King bedded rooms with a queen size pullout sofa at no additional cost. This was given to you as you are a valued Hilton Honors Diamond member .
In regard to the "roach like bug", it's known as The brown marmorated stink bug (harmless) which seeks warmth and follows light which are very much an epidemic in the North East. These bugs are found on people walking, on luggages, cars and gain access into homes / hotels from open windows or doors. We sincerely apoogize that one of them got nestled in your room that came into the light when you got to the room. Our Housekeeping team does an exceptional job in cleaning the rooms and all Hilton Hotels including ours,have a mandated preventative pest cleaning program to combat pest/bugs.
I hope that you will give us another chance when your travels bring you back to or through the Gaithersburg area.
Best regards.
Director Of rooms

Reviewed 13 November 2012

For years we’ve been making an annual business trip to Gaithersburg, and the Hilton is always our hotel of choice for two reasons: its convenience to the Fairgrounds nearby and the room rate (group discount) makes it an excellent value.

In my opinion it earns consistently high marks for cleanliness, comfort, spaciousness, easy to use WiFi, and nice bathroom amenities. The duvets are very cozy. Thank you, Hilton, for doing away with those ubiquitous swirly-patterned quilted bed covers found elsewhere! The room décor is fairly nondescript, but I prefer soothing tones to garish ones, so that is a plus.

The reception at check-in is less consistent, often not very welcoming - even when not at all busy.

Downright disappointing is that the little nook in the lobby that has papers, travel items and most importantly a Starbucks wasn’t open last year or this – on Saturday morning! With the Starbucks gone from the shopping center across the street there’s no place to get a decent take-away coffee!!

This year my additional observations are as follows. The key cards often do not work initially. When this happened to me in the past, I figured I was doing something wrong. But two other parties on my floor had a problem and had to return to reception TWICE for recoding. When hauling a laptop and luggage, it’s irritating to have to deal with this issue.

Also, although I checked in around 3:30 – 4:00, my floor was still in the throes of room cleaning. This hasn’t happened before, and I feel the person at the desk has some control over room assignment, but simply didn’t care that he was sending guests through a gauntlet of housekeeping carts in order to access their rooms.

I wouldn’t switch hotels in the future, but I’d like Hilton to maintain their standards, thus ensuring a more pleasant and satisfying experience for the guest.

Room Tip: A corner room is always nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
HiltonManagement, Director Of rooms at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Hi Noel_and_Scott ,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Gaithersburg as your choice for travel over the years and noting the many aspects that has kept you loyal with us. From your obseravtion about the reception desk, the Front Desk Manager acted by addressing your concern with the team. While there are uncontrollable factors at times that will lead to key cards to be de-magnitized, our ever present staff are there to assist in getting the situation remedied. As these locks are battery operated, it can lose power at any given time and unfortunately it will be discovered by customers or the cleaning staff when they get to the doors. Other cases, the keys will be de-magnitized from credit cards and cell phones which seems to the most frequent issue.

While we are flexible with our check in times and commit to meet 3:00 PM arrivals, the Housekeepers will ensure that all customers who are requesting services, will do so within a timely, clean and professional manner. On a normal business day and based on occupancy levels, rooms are cleaned up to 4:45PM which is before 5:00PM for their close of working day.

As for the starbucks, it is opened based on the occupancy level in the hotel as it does not attract ouside patrons. The restaurant manager and employees will brew starbucks coffe that can be purchased from the restaurant and the news papers are left for free as a comprimise. If there should be snacks or medicinal supplies to be purchased from the Starbucks and the customers should asked, it has never been denied.

Please feel free to stop by and ask for me Clinton (Director of Rooms), the General Manager (Yale) or the F&B Director (Farouk) on your next trip to Hilton Gaithersburg.
We value your feedback and thank you for your continued patronage as you stated you will not switch hotels.

Best regard & until we meet,

Director of rooms

Reviewed 6 November 2012

We were on our way to Virginia for a college rowing event and needed a place to lay our heads. Room is clean, bed was very soft and inviting. We were leaving very early in the morning so the lack of a free breakfast was not a big deal. It is an easy off the freeway. Nice restaurant choices within walking distance to hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
HiltonManagement, Director Of Rooms at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Hi queenbeader ,

Thanks for choosing Hilton Gaithersburg as your choice of travel. We are pleased in knowing you find our property clean, conveniently close and accessible to all the places that are important to you and for future travellers.

For your next trip, before you locked into a rate, please inquire of the rates that includes breakfast (full hot buffet) in the restaurant which opens at 6:30 AM Mon-Fri & 7:00 AM on Sat-Sun.
As a bonus, the grab & go shop adjacent to the Front Desk opens at 6:00 AM where you can purchase hot/cold beverages and pastries at reasonable prices.

We do thank you for staying with us and looking forward to your return!

Best regards,

Director Of Rooms

Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a night organised by the tour operator - Super Vacations. The hotel was away from the city centre ( about 30 minutes drive by car). The entire reception looked like some kinda lodge, didnt resemble a Hilton Hotel. The rooms however were comfortable, had everything from complimentary wifi, tea and coffee maker in the rooms, large tv, radio and alarm, good toileteries. Would recommend this hotel if youre here for a night and get a good bargain.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Vinn_2k,

Thanks for your keen observation of our property and the positives that you identified. Sorry in knowing our quaint look did not measure up as a Hilton Hotel in your view; however, Super Vacation has chosen us because of our value, full service amenities and the convenience from the hustle & bustle in the city (Washington DC) and stay here in Maryland.
Customers who have found value and love the personalize service from the reception desk, has voiced the beauty of the warmth, recognition as a returning customer and knowing they are at a Hilton prpoerty that is clean and well kept as you mentioned earlier.

If travels should take you back to the Gaithersburg, Maryland area (Not Washington DC) and not travelling with a tour group, i do hope you will stay with us to enjoy the value from a full paid rate and the warmth from our employees who are eager to serve and please .

Warm regards,