“Going down hill”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
York, Pennsylvania
“Going down hill”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I have stayed in this hotel 3-4 times within the last year. My most recent trip will be my last. The 9th floor hallway had a very distinct stench. When I mentioned I might want to move to a different room - the front desk staff was completely indifferent. This was the same response when my friend, staying on the 10th floor brought down a black man's sock (she was sleeping alone) she found in her bed. The carpeting in her room was filthy and I had a broken lamp in my room. The place simply isn't on the same level as it was 6 months ago. We were planning to book a party with the Hilton, as we did last July, but that's not going to happen. Their total lack of customer service/satisfaction and unclean environment has guaranteed we will take our business elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BigVic52
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Hello BigVic52- Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Hilton for several recent stays and for posting your comments about your most recent experience. I am sorry that you did not find this most recent stay to be as favorable as the others. I apologize for any deficiencies you noted and assure you that we have already inspected and corrected any conditions that you brought to our attention while you were here. Your use of the word stench concerns me and investigation revealed that this was due to the fertilizer application done by our landscape company that day. I am also concerned about the comments that your friend found a sock in the bed. I assure you that the bedding is completely changed for the arrival of a new guest and that every sheet of the triple sheeting as well as the duvet is put on the bed individually. I cannot understand how a sock would have gotten into the bed under these cleaning and changing procedures. Your friend never called down or stopped by to tell us personally of her concerns and in fact requested complete privacy and anonymity. I only wish that we had the chance to discuss and investigate this matter before her departure.
I assure you that our standards have not changed in the last six months and in fact we were rated very highly on cleanliness and conditions on a Hilton Inspection held only one week ago.
I hope you will again consider the Gaithersburg Hilton for your next stay in the area.
Yale Feldman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southeast
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I got a great price, conveniently located, clean, neat, friendly staff. A little difficult to find the front door the first time, but easy to spot from the interstate. I've decided I'm spoiled from my bed and no hotel bed can even compare ("memory foam" although this is not a paid advertisement!!!!), but this was on the lower end of bed comfort. However, I would stay here again when in the area. Nice feature - what few smoking rooms are separated by a glass door, so smell does not travel - Great for non-smokers but doesn't make smokers feel "less than".

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SouthernSweetT
HiltonManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Hi SouthernSweetT,

Thanks for staying with us and posting how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Although Hilton in general does not have "Memory Foam" mattresses, we are pleased and satisfied that there were other aspects for you to have enjoyed your stay.
From your review as well as other customers who had voiced about getting to the hotel, we've revisited our hotel's website ensuring the directions are in it's simpliest form to get everyone here with ease.
Should you return to the area, we hope that you will consider staying with us again. Thanks again for your comments.

C. Clarke
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed here for a Tropical Fish convention.
This place was great. Clean and well kept.
Everyone was always smiling. The staff was very helpful.
I loved the heated mirror!
The location is easy to get to and plenty of free parking.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank finman57
Hi Finman57,

Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate your honest feedback and kind words. The Tropical fish Convention was truly enjoyed by customers and employees and certainly looking forward to its return.

Thanks again for your comments.

C. Clarke
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Just ate Breakfast at this hotel's restuarant. The layout had everything you would want. The waffle and omelett bar was perfect. Service a bit overwhelming for a buffett. Overall the price was a bit high.....but woth it, in my eyes.....if you stay at the hotel....and do not have the budget, just go there once. Maybe a good "last day before you leave" breakfast.

Room Tip: West rooms face a highway....270.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kevin B
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Good Morning Kevin B--It is now Sunday morning and don’t I wish you were coming down to breakfast. After your nice comments, it would be great to see you back here again so soon for our buffet. We appreciate your comments and are glad that you enjoyed the buffet and found it to be a good value. We strive to make it so and are pleased with your feedback.
Hope to see you back soon.
Jupiter
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

I was there for several meetings. The rooms are spacious and very good. Nice little feature are the heated mirrors in the bathroom. The breakfast buffet is very good. Although it is an older hotel, it is nicely kept and renovated. The food in the restaurant is also good.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank flying_dutchman_US
Hello flying_dutchman_US-Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate hearing these and will strive to ensure that all of our guests feel the way you do about our rooms and restaurant. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again in the near future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2013

As other folks have rightfully mentioned, it's indeed an older property. But my room and linens were smelling fresh and the bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is complementary WIFI access which worked well. The breakfast has good choice. I personally like a light breakfast and was happily surprised by a large selection of fresh fruits and health choices. The check-out process is automatic and your bill is delivered to your room. As other pointed out, you can walk to shopping center.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
hiltongaithersburgGM, General Manager at Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Hello Ewald C—thank you for the comments you posted on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at our hotel. In a very short space and few words, you were able to touch on many of the positive attributes of our hotel. I appreciate the things you said and that now they are available for others to review. I am pleased that we were able to satisfy you on your stay and hope that you will choose us again for your next stay in the area.
New York
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We have now stayed in three different hotels in this area. The Holiday Inn which we really enjoyed, the Courtyard Marriott Washingtonian Center which is a great location, and this one, the Hilton. I must say we really enjoyed our stay at the HIlton so much, that the next time we visit my family we will stay here. The service was amazing, the room was clean and they provided a pack n play for our one year to sleep in. I prefer these over the metal cribs the Holiday Inn offers. The restaurant was mediocre, but convenient for a bite to eat when you dont want to go outdoors. The bar area is pretty nice, we always saw alot of people enjoying a drink there. Right accross the street is a shopping center with a CVS, several small restaurants, Ross, Chuck E Cheeses for the kids, Carters for shopping, Bed Bath and Beyond, Panera (great for breakfast) etc. The mall is about a 6 minute drive and the highway to go towards D.C is literally a 5 minute drive. We LOVE that the laundry facilities was COMPLIMENTARY for guests, yes free laundry! THe pool was OK, pretty small, nothing fancy. The gym was nice though. Our only complaint is that our room did not have a fridge or microwave in it, and the maintenence person came to install it our second night and just walked in our room! He wasnt told there were guests in there so it was really awkard, not his fault, but the hotel should have known to have that installed before offering the room to us. We had to wait to get everything installed before we could leave. THis would have saved us alot of time going to the ice machine with our cooler to keep our 1 yr olds milk and food cool. Not convenient but after it was all done we were good to go. Will stay again :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Hello truang3l19- Thank you for the response and for all of the detail you provided me in understanding your stay. It will help me to correct the things that didn't’t take pl;ace according to your expectations. Your comments are valuable and I will follow up on them to plan corrective action for the future. Overall, though, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. You have compared us to other good hotels in the area Sand I am delighted that we fared well and that you will stay again. I look forward to the chance of meeting you on your next stay at our hotel.