“Quiet location, clean bungalows and friendly staff”
Review of Lena House

Lena House
barcelona, spain
“Quiet location, clean bungalows and friendly staff”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I spent a few days in Lena House while I was waiting for my visa extension. The bungalows are basic but clean, with nice view to the beach. The location is perfect to relax for a few days. The beach is clean and with normal local life (children playing, fishermen coming back from fishing or taking care of their nets...), which is very enjoyable if you're coming from a touristy place. The staff is very discreet and friendly and Didakus helped me a lot for my visa extension. All that for a very fair price. I strongly recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Podimore
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed four nights in this incredibly basic and simple beach bungalow. It is right on the beach and Lena 2 was four hundred meters from the main building and restaurant. You have to walk down the beach to reach lena 2 making it delightfully quiet and isolated. At high tide a boat is (sometimes!) available to transport you for breakfast and dinner. It is a little hit and miss but a starlight boat trip to dinner adds to the charm of the place.
Excellent local trips can be arranged with the owner very cheaply and we particularly recommend the snorkelling boat trip to the islands where we were lucky enough to swim with reef sharks.
The food is of good quality and reasonably priced. Our only concerns were the lack of cleaning during our stay. In four days the room was not cleaned, swept or indeed the bins emptied but we don't want to be too harsh on a small homestay that is charging very little. It is perfect if you like isolation and can deal with very basic facilities and intermittent water and electricity. If you need boutique it's not for you!

• Stayed August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We began our holiday here at Lena house and are so glad we did.

Didakus and his family are very welcoming and keen to share local knowledge with you. As other reviews mention the beach is not the most spectacular in Indonesia but more than makes up for it for the location.

The bamboo bungalows were great, good mossie nets (although malaria is not as common in east Flores) and great semi outdoor bathroom/mandi.

Be sure to hire a motorbike and ride into the mountains as they are spectacular and the ride is great fun.

Didakus is a very engaging host and invited Emma and I to come and visit the NGO where he works, as Emma is in a similar field.

Highly recommend having the fish curry and grilled fish (kingfish when we were there), some of the best food of our trip.

We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Ben_Foster_84
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I came to Lena House because I had to wait for a flight, and having already stayed in Maumere for a few days as a single female traveler, I was in need of some peace and a break from the predominantly Male town. Lena house is approx 25km from Maumere, an easy ride down a straight, flat road along the coast.

When I arrived I was immediately sure I was going to be very happy here. The bungalow I stayed in was really pretty and had an organically themed bathroom which I thought was really cool. The room was basic but so clean and well kept and the mattress on my bed was so comfortable - I had the best sleep. I had a little balcony facing the sea, and it has lots of little corals on the edges making it so pretty.

The area consists of 4 bungalows (There is also another site with more bungalows just a little way down the beach) and there is a restaurant area in the middle, They have a dog, chickens, and pigs, so with the organically themed bathroom and garden it really makes for a natural experience, I thought it was great. The sea is right there for you to swim in, it's very clean. And Didakus can arrange for snorkeling trips and also other trips such as a visit to the local Volcano. However Lena house is also perfect for relaxing and having a nice rest before you move on to your next trip. I did go snorkeling on one of the days i was there and it was great. I saw a trumpet fish that day actually!

The food was very nice, the breakfast was perfect and a good size unlike some other places. The prices are very reasonable and give great value to your stay.

Didakus does also have an internet modem which guest can use in their laptops for a fair price per hour.

The family are so nice and make you feel so welcome. The restaurant makes for a good area to socialize and it seemed a few people would have some nice evening chats there.

I highly recommend Lena House, especially if you are a budget traveler looking for somewhere nice to stay after a long trip through Flores and are waiting for a flight, or if you need to do a Visa run, Maumere does have the immigration office there so many people do come here for that.

Room Tip: If the sea facing bungalows are available Didakus will offer them to you first! Very nice view to wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed 4 days in Lena House 1 in Wodong. The owner and the family are very helpful and can (if you want), organize different trips. We did the snorkelling trip to Pulau Baby! Very recommended. Nice corals, clear water and the good thing is: you're the only one :-)

The food they cook in Lena House is simpel, but very very delicious (fish curry and gado gado). The prices are very fair.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RetoMartina
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our 7 nights at Lena House. We would strongly recommend it to other travellers.

Lena House (24km or 30 minutes east of Maumere) consist of two 4 bungalow sites separated by a 10 minute walk along the shoreline. Whilst the beach isn't the most impressive we have seen the water is clean and clear and good for swimming. The real beauty of the place, however, is the family who Lena House, the seclusion, tranquility and natural beauty of the surrounds.

The bungalows are basic, but clean and well kept - each has a western toilet with mandi, cold running water, mosquito nets and verandah with chairs and table. The very reasonable room rate includes a decent breakfast of pancake or bread and jam or omelete; tea or coffee; and a fruit salad. The menu whilst not extensive was excellent value. The Gado Gado and fish curry were amongst the best we've had in Indonesia.

Didakus - the patron of the family - is a wity and engaing soul. He works for a local NGO and is knowledgable about the local area and Indonesia in general. He also kindly agreed to sponsor our VISA extensions free of charge, which saved us money and trouble at the immigration office. We very much enjoyed our evening chats with him.

Should you decide to stay here be sure to take a trip 5-6km up the coast to the fishing boat building village - a mixed christian and muslim community; we had great fun meeting the locals.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tigerfeat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wodong
Budi Sun Flores Diving Resort
Kelimutu Crater Lakes Eco Lodge, Moni, Flores
Seraya Hotel & Resort
Seraya Hotel & Resort
#2 of 20 in Labuan Bajo

Been to Lena House? Share your experiences!