“Rating”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 175
Description: Kaufmann's Tavern a Maryland Landmark since 1937, Kaufmann's specializes in the freshest and finest seafood as well as our signature steaks and pasta dishes. For years Kaufmanns' has been famous for the best hard-shell crabs in Maryland, featuring our enormous "Monster Crabs". Patio Season is here and we are ready, come join us on our outdoor patio for great food while enjoying the beautiful weather or cozy up to our outdoor waterfall bar for drinks and appetizers. On chilly nights, have cocktails next to our outdoor fireplace. There is live music on the patio Wednesday through Saturday And six outdoor TV's to catch all the action. The patio at Kaufmanns has quickly become the hot spot and local gathering place, so come check it out. If it is crabs you are looking for, Kaufmann's is the place. We serve the bast hard shell crabs all year round. Kaufmann's is now featuring its new small plates menu. This menu offers small portions of many new delicious appetizers.
annapolis MD
“Rating”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

$$$ Over Priced
Poor Service
Dated Decor
Lounge and surounding arfea very dirty
Bathrooms dirty.

I was able to get a sneak peek into the kitchen. The very small amount I could see was greasy with dirt every where.

I am sorry to say that this once extremely good restaurant has failed to live up to it's reputation. After rating more than 100 food establishments over the last twenty years I am always sad to see a great place fall so low. We came with a small group around 6:300 P.M. on a wednesday night.

We were met by a pleasant young hostess with a smile. She seated us in the lounge with the big screen TV even though we requested a quieter setting. She stated that they did not have any other seats available even though there were plenty of seats in the dining room area.

Our wait staff were friendly and considerate, but extremely slow. Drinks came to the table in about 10 minutes and were wrong. The table ordered three Gin and tonics, an old fashion and several Iced teas. The Gin and tonics brought to us in a 12 glass, filled with tonic and no taste of Gin. When asked the wait staff stated that the bar had no smaller cocktail glasses and then brought out our mixed drinks iin a plasstic cup. we were not charged for the first round of drinks but unfortuniately the second round was just as bad aas the first and we over heard the bartender complain that we terrible customers. We almost left right then but I was rating this establishment and had a job to do.

The group ordered New York Strip Steaks, A fresh Rockfish plate, House Special Wings and several salads.

Other than the Steaks, It was one of the worst meals and service we have had in the last several years. Steaks were done to perfection. Baked Potato's were cold and dry. salads were hot and dry with some spoiled stuff mixed in.

Overall we would give this establishment a passing grade for a local bar or dive.

It failed for a once top rated restaurant. Pass this one by.

• Visited April 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice Environment, OK Food”
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stop in for dinner at J.Kings, formerly Kaufmanns about once every two months. For us we go because it is a nice restaurant very close to home. I will say that I have tried a large amount of their menu and have yet to have had anything I would recommend to anyone. It is nice looking restaurant and it is a great place for drinks but if you are looking for a great dining experience, I would pass.

1 Thank Timothy K
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very disapointed”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Took my grandson who drove up from West Virginia for lunch today Aug. 20.2012 he ordered the crab platter, and a cup of MD crab soup and I only ordered a cup of Md. crab soup i had two small pieces of crab meet it was like eating Veggie soup no taste. His crab cakes did't have old bay he had to ask for some the only thing he liked were the potatoes, i met him in Gambrills driving from Baltimore other side of tunnels. I would not go there again, it was terrible. The water was good and his coke. Hope they can get someone that can learn how to fix a crab cake with old bay seasoning.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank nancy w
Catonsville, Maryland
“Skip this one”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Under-seasoned steamed crabs, poor timing on food service, some were eating,some were waiting, no forks served with salad or sandwiches, no towels in restroom. Won't recommend, nor return. 18% service on less than average service.

• Visited June 2012
Bowie, Maryland
“Kaufmann's Tavern is now J. Kings - and the food is delicious!”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We went here because the restaurant showed up on restaurant.com - we thought the location looked familiar, and turns out that's because it was: J. Kings is actually the new name for Kaufmann's Tavern. Their "official grand opening" is 02JUN12. There's an interesting story behind this change, though. Apparently Mr. King bought this restaurant more than 10 years ago, but in deference to the original owner and the local clientele, he did so with the agreement that he would keep the original name for 10 years. I find it absolutely amazing that in this day and age that someone kept that kind of agreement, even though the original owner died several years ago. That was refreshing and gives you an idea of the kind of values the owner has. So though J. Kings is "new", it's anything but ...

The place started out as a local place for crabs, and it's true to form - there's still plenty of crabs, with paper on the table inside or out. We went for steak, though (actually, that's one of the restaurant.com restrictions) but we were just as happy as we're not really crab-pickers. They have a Sunday brunch - many yeas ago we went to one of their "special occasion" brunches (Valentines Day), which was very good - lots of food. Not sure if that's the case now - the menu on the wall seemed to be kind of brief - but I think it just listed "categories" of food - my expectation is that there will be lots of good choices if you go. It's expensive, too ($22), but its all you can eat.

on atmosphere: inside has a bar on one side, there's a special event room (which was in use, and though the parking lot was PACKED, the restaurant had seats. A pleasant surprise - so don't let full parking lot fool you into passing by in fear of a wait. There's an outside dining area, and they do pick-up and catering too. On WED-SAT they have live bands, but I'm not sure where they set up and the impact on dining. The inside was a little dark, but we prefer that - it gives a more intimate feel. The walls have a lot of sports memorabilia/pictures. Apparently Mr. King is a Redskins fan but gives the Ravens their fair due as he's technically in Ravens country. This restaurant could fit any of the categories noted on trip advisor - single, couples, families, groups - business or casual.

The service - great! We had a wonderful waitress, and she was prompt and helpful. She shared the stories with us when we asked about the pictures, and we found that kind of interaction very likeable. There weren't very many people in the dining room when we went - it was about 5:30 Pm, so still a little early.

The food: oh my goodness, it was excellent. It was pricey, and we were happy to have had the coupon, but the meat portions were huge. We got the strip and the prime rib - both were big portion sizes, which was nice since the price was $26 each. The prime rib was done a little more than the requested medium, but still tender and tasty. The strip had a wonderful seasoning. The julienne vegetables (their standard side) were outstanding - sweet and garlic-y, a very pleasant surprise we both thoroughly enjoyed. The red bliss potatoes were also quite tasty. We got a calamari appetizer - always a gamble because we're pretty particular. These were good, not too chewy and a very pleasant crispy coating. The tomato sauce for dipping was EXCELLENT - sweet with nice chunks of tomato. The tea was good, too (not wimpy and watered down, as so many are). We had leftovers, and those veggies went into a wonderful omelet the next day - and they were still nice and crisp and delicious.

Our only real complaint was that the price was really high. At first we thought that it was over-priced, but we were really so happy with our dinner that we revised our original assessment to simply "high priced" - but the coupon made it reasonable. Those steaks were huge! I maked this under $$ for cost per person using trip-advisors criteria - I think that's misleading because the cost was really in the $$$ range.

I am going to write this review up under J. Kings, too. It doesn't yet show up under Trip Advisor, so I want to be sure that the new name gets its props - especially since it took them so long to be able to use it! Their website will give you more info: http://www.jkingsrestaurant.com

• Visited May 2012