“Love the food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fuji Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #10 of 83 Restaurants in Gambrills
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Crofton, Maryland, United States
“Love the food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

I love the food at the new Japanese Steak House (FUJI) in the new Waugh Chapel Shopping Center. It is much better and the service is much better they are no longer rushing you out the door so they can seat other people. I must warn it is VERY VERY crowded on the weekends and there is no reservations.

Visited March 2013

Maryland
“Honestly? We went there too much...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

Let me preface this by saying that My Husband is the reason we went there too much. Now that that's out of the way and the blame has been successfully transferred.... If I was reviewing this restaurant about 6 months ago before they moved, my rating would have been a 4. Since they moved, the rating has dropped dramatically and I'll explain why below.

Wait Time:
We used to go to this restaurant when it was in the original Waugh Chapel shopping center. At the time the wait was minimal. I can count the number of times we had to actually stand at the front instead of going right to our seats. However, since they moved to their new location in the Wegman's Shopping area in Waugh Chapel [about .5 mile further off Waugh Chapel Road from the original location] the wait has gotten insane. We went there for my friend's birthday celebration and ended up standing around for over an hour and a half. The sad part is their waiting area now has about 6 chairs total.

Atmosphere:
The atmosphere in Fuji had been fairly quiet at the old location. You'd have your birthday parties and such, but on the whole you could hear yourself think. Since they moved, the location has become so incredibly loud you feel as though you must shout to talk to the rest of your party. It is still kid friendly and the chefs do an awesome show during the hibachi meal. But the atmosphere has changed so much I just can't give it the 4 stars I'd like to.

Price:
The price for hibachi, which is what we typically get, starts at around $19 and runs up from there. We don't usually get out of there without spending at least $80 [including some appetizers].

Food and Portion size:
The food here is some of the best hibachi in the area. It's not the best hibachi I've ever had, but it's yummy. My husband would live there if I let him. I should let the ladies know that unless you ditch the rice, noodles, and red meat you'll be lucky to get the meal in under 1000 calories. So there's that.

For the guys, portion size is really quite large. Plus you'll get salad and soup prior to the meal.

Wait Staff and Cleanliness:
We've had good wait staff and incredibly poor wait staff. It's very hit or miss at the new location. It didn't used to be that way, but I think Fuji just grew too fast.

The restaurant is in a brand new building so the area is still practically new and thus, clean. However, we will no longer be eating there due to being grossed out.The ventilation's grease trap wasn't emptied properly the last time we went to Fuji. My husband pointed out that the nasty grease was dripping all over his place setting, plate, and napkin. The waiter went and got a bus boy to come empty the trap. The bus boy came over and, reaching over my husband, wiped the dripping grease off the outside of the trap. As soon as he left, the grease resumed its dripping because the trap was overflowing.

My husband pointed this out to the waiter as the new napkin was getting spotted with more grease. The waiter got flustered and tracked down the bus boy who repeated what he had done prior before leaving again.

By now it was slightly humorous and we started taking bets on when they'd actually empty the trap. My husband called the waiter over a third time and pointed out that the problem was still not resolved as he now had grease in his drink. About this time I noticed that the nasty grease had also begun dripping on the hibachi grill, which the chef was about to use (having just arrived with his trolley of food).

The waiter finally brought the bus boy back and they asked my husband to move. They then emptied the grease trap and put my husband's place setting back. They failed to give him a new napkin and failed to clean the grill. The chef failed to clean the grill prior to cooking and they ended up cooking our meal in the nasty grease that had been dropped on the grill. And noone seemed to notice except us.

Honestly, we could have overlooked most of it, but this experience left us with a real bad taste in our mouths [har,har,har]. As such, my husband doesn't even want to go back. And he'd drag me kicking and screaming there over and over again before this happened.

Pros:
- Good food
- Good portions

Cons:
- Wait time is incredibly long
- Cleanliness of cooking area is in real doubt

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lonelysheltie
Maryland
“Great for the Whole Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

We went to the new Fuji location last night for my daughter's 10th birthday. We called the day prior, and they did inform us they did not take reservations. I wanted to bring a birthday cake and balloons for my daughter, and they told me it was no problem, and no additional cost. They would keep the cake in the fridge while we ate, and cut and serve it after dinner! Upon arrival, we probably waited about 20-30 minutes, there were 7 of us (smaller groups were seated almost immediately). We were prepared to wait, so not a big deal.

That sat us at the table closest to the door, which had a draft. We asked to be shifted to the other side of the table, and it was no problem. The waitress was very nice, and there was a family of 4 that sat in the reminder of the table, so we all were chatting it up. The chef, "Tony", was a riot! He had us laughing the entire time, and he took special care to make my daughter feel special on her bday (even made a heart shaped out of fried rice with a candle in it)!!! The food was prepared to order and there were no issues. The rice was a little dry, but when mixed with the noodles, and that DELICIOUS yum yum sauce, it was fine!

After dinner, they served the cake (we were stuffed, so shared it with the other family), and gave some to the waitress for being so helpful. The decor and atmosphere were so nice. I had not been to the old location, but will definitely be returning to this location!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Food is good, but service is lacking.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

We have visited this restaurant at the old and new location several times in the past year or so. In both places though, the service was lacking although the food wasn't bad.

The front desk staff are very disorganized. We have gone in several times and asked for non-Hibachii seating and they just tell you to stand and wait in the corner while others are seated. We actually have seated ourselves several times because they forgot about us which is hard to do w/two kids.

Another time, our waitress rushed us and made several mistakes on our order. This would normally not be too much of an issue regarding the mistakes, but the food was taking a very long to prepare which made the wait even worse. Again, with kids, this isn't a good thing to have to sit and wait for food while they become restless. Sushii dishes shouldn't take 30 min + to make and an apology would be very appreciated when mistakes are made outside of the time frame of getting the check and hoping for more of a tip.

I also remember choosing to get Hibachii and having the chef being very rude regarding our food choices/allergies. He was more concerned with cooking what he wanted when he wanted then being concered that several folks in our party were allergic to shellfish. He finally obliged in recognizing this but was pretty rude about it.

It's also a bit pricey but that's the norm for most Japanese places.

So all in all, I want to reiterate that the food wasn't bad, actually pretty good for a Japanese restaurant in the US, but the lack of service really takes away from the experience.

2 Thank montgod
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Food isn't bad... service could be a lot better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

It's also a bit pricey but that's the norm for most Japanese places.

1 Thank montgod