“Nice property, really spotty service.”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Germantown
Cathedral City, California
“Nice property, really spotty service.”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed at this Fairfield for a family event in the area. I am a Marriott frequent stayer and recommended the hotel to several family members. The property is very attractive and the rooms and common areas are very nice are well maintained. The service, not so much. When we checked in the afternoon/evening staff was wonderful, helpful and accomodating.
Breakfast the next morning was a train wreck. They had a good selection of items. but they were constantly running out of things with only one breakfast attendant who RAN around trying his very best to keep things in stock, but it was not a one person job. When my elderly mother went to speak to the front desk person about the problems with the breakfast she told her that it was not the front desk's problem, the breakfast was "another department". In addition, the breakfast area is the smallest I have ever seen at a Fairfield and we never could get a seat either morning, we had to take the food back to our rooms and balance eating it there.
When I went to take a shower I found that I had no shampoo and that my shower head had been left pointing directly in to the bathroom rather than the tub. Before I knew it my bathroom was flooded. I called the front desk to ask to have shampoo sent up but she said she didn't know when someone from housekeeping would be available to bring it to me (when I left my room 1/2 hr later they were in my hallway with their carts).
The internet service is free, but every time you walk away from your computer for a few minutes it disconnects you and you have to log on again, another thing I have never had at any other Marriott properties.
These are all admittedly minor things, but I stick with Marriotts because they have a certain level of service. This hotel did not have that service level, except the evening front desk staff.

1 Thank stephensmom
Danielle H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
I am sorry that our team did not deliver the service that is to be expected of us as a Marriott. It is not like us to seperate the different departments and I apologize, again, that this happened during your stay. Thank you for your suggestions to better our hotel. Please allow us another chance to show you the changes that we have made.

Danielle Hedden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I was there for a week for work recently but felt like a vacation.Very comfy rooms. Nice people, rooms were clean. Ignore the "bed bug" review that is not true. AC was really good I was actually cold with two blankets. Check out the Baileys next door a lot of fun. If you need a car service ask the front desk for a recomendation. They have people they trust. Got me to my train on time with traffic. I will go back there for sure. What else there is an IHOP in walking distance open 24hours if you get the urge. The pool is nice for a swim. The muffins in the morning are good too.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor. facing the back of hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
It is so good to hear that you had a relaxing business trip. We take a lot of pride in our hotel and enjoy the relationships that we build with guests like yourself. Thank you!

Wexford
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We made our reservation on the phone, which went well. We had a late check- in, which was fine. The front desk staff member was pleasant and friendly. We got up to our clean, nicely appointed room to find that it was sweltering! We have had the AC on for 30 minutes so far, with little result. Our mini- fridge was open and defrosted, with water everywhere. There was a hotel bill already under our door, for someone else, who apparently paid half what we paid for the same room. The front desk staff member offered apologies and a new room, but then we would have to wait even longer for it to cool off. This place could be very good, but they aren't focused on the customer very well. Also, we requested a low floor, and we were given the top (5 th) floor.

2 Thank drkarp
We apologize that we did not meet your expectations with a hot room, open, defrosted, mini-fridge and rate discrepencies. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I have discussed the mentioned issues with the team. Please allow us to show you the changes we have made the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

QUEEN beds rather than double!!! Hotel was in the process of being renovated. Free breakfast is standard, nice. Great location just off highway and surrounded by everything you might want. You can walk to many restaurants (fast food and table service), movie theater, drug store, bank, grocery is just down the block. Staff let us know that many of the restaurants offer a discount to hotel guests. There is an indoor pool, exercise room and guest laundry.

• Stayed June 2013
We know you have plenty of choices in hotels. Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

BelAir
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed for two nights while attending a lacrosse tournament. This was the perfect location. Just a block from 270 and 118 crossing and 10 minutes to the sports complex. the movie theatre is across the street / multiple food places within walking distance. several of the restaurants actually give you a 10% discount if you showed your room key, which is great when you are eating so many meals out.

front desk was friendly and helpful and fast!
Our room was welcoming, fresh white linen, every thing looked and smelled cleaned.
breakfast was included and was typical fare and was good.
The food stations are a little spread out which means you have to cross the room several times to get a look, at everything. Might be a way to keep any one area from getting crowded but it means having to excuse yourself as you have to carefully push passed the same people trying to eat as you go back and forth and back and forth.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your stay in Germantown. It is was a pleaure having you!
Montreux, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Definitely would stay again. All was good. Air conditioning was a bit funky so we turned it off and opened windows. Easily solved that problem. The hotel is unable good location and parking was free and plentiful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Danielle H, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Germantown. We hope to see you again in the future.

Carnegie, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg for four nights while on vacation this July. Everything was wonderful - the hotel was modern and clean. The employee working at the counter was quite friendly and we were always greeted as we were coming or going from the hotel.

The hot breakfast was kind of... crappy. Eggs were chunky and bland, bacon was very thin (you could read through it) and extra greasy, and the sausage was undercooked both days that we ate. All of the cold stuff was fine. Its a "free" breakfast, so I can't really complain.

Our king suite was clean and modern, and smelled like new carpet. Judging from the looks of things I would estimate that all the furniture is relatively new as well. The curtains were the only things that looked old.

One of the first things I did before getting settled into the room was pull back the sheets and mattress cover to check for bed bugs. I have never had bed bugs myself, or seen them in person, but I travel often enough to know that they are a problem in hotels. I checked the edges of the mattress, around the headboard and in the nightstand drawers and dresser. I didn't see anything that looked like a bug. I did find a few small pieces of something that looked like they may have once been a part of a bugs body - about the size of a pen tip, brown/reddish in color, and with the consistency of a the shell of a corn kernel.

The following morning I noticed 2 bug bites on my leg around 11am. I put benedryl on it and checked the bed again that night - this time stripping the entire bed instead of just pulling back the sheets. Again I didn't see any actual bugs - I noticed what I thought were stains from an ink pen on the sheets and one of the pillow cases. There were just a few here and there, so I assumed that maybe an ink pen had broken in the hotel dryer or something. I was unaware that this is what bed bug excrement looks like.

I developed 4 more bug bites over the next 3 days - all of them appearing mid-morning/early afternoon.

I did not see any actual bed bugs, but I now have a few bug bites, and I did see those black spots on the sheets for the remainder of our stay. I will be waiting to see if more bites develop on my body, and as a precaution we are drying all of our clothes on high heat and sealing our luggage in black trash bags and leaving them out in the 95° sun for a few days.

We stayed in room 314.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
First I would like to say thank you for the kind words about our team/cleanliness and our new modern look, but I am truly sorry that you encountered issues during your stay.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the issues with the eggs and meat at breakfast, and the "ink" spots on the sheets and the bug bites. I have addressed the above mentioned issues with my team to make sure that we are paying attention to all details. As for bed bugs, myself and my team have been thoroughly trained to do everyday inspections of our rooms to look for potential problems. We have not found any evidence of bed bugs, but I have called in our pest control company to do a much more thorough inspection of this room with their equipment.

Again thank you for bringing the issues to my attention and be assured that I am inspecting re-training and addressing everything with my team. I am sorry!

Danielle Hedden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Germantown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Germantown - Gaithersburg
Hampton Inn & Suites Washington, DC North / Gaithersburg
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Germantown - Milestone
Homewood Suites by Hilton Gaithersburg/Washington, DC North
Hilton Washington DC North Gaithersburg
Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
#7 of 15 in Gaithersburg

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Germantown Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!