“Great Food and Friendly Service”

Mamma Lena Trattoria Napoletana
Ranked #6 of 159 Restaurants in Germantown
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Excellent homemade pasta with mussels and clams. Bruschetta with fresh tomatoes and olive oil. Side garden salad with delicious dressing. Service very friendly. Authentic Italian. Owners are from Naples. Will absolutely return.

Reviewed 2 March 2018

This place was rated #5 in Germantown so I was very excited to check it out. It is a small place in a strip mall and seats about 30. It is not very visible from the roadway. I was one of a few diners that night. The man in charge was sitting at a table behind a laptop so I assume he was the owner or was held in high esteem! Lol! He served me as well as the other two tables. I started with a glass of DaVinci 2016 Chianti ($8 glass/$30 bottle) which goes for about $10 retail a bottle so at 3x retail it was neither a value or rip off.

I was started with a complementary bruschetta. The two nice sized pieces tasted very fresh but were over salted. The bread could have been crispier. For my appetizer the cold antipasto for two was made for one ($10) based on my request. It came with a lot of items … there were eight olives, six small squares of mixed cheese, two slices of salami, two slices of prosciutto, four small mozzarella balls, four small tomatoes, two slices of Italian ham, and an artichoke heart with light olive oil drizzled over it. It was excellent however I would have preferred provolone cheese instead of Swiss cheese.

I asked about how the eggplant parmigiana ($14) was made and he told me it was stacked like lasagna which surprised me since it is usually flat and somewhat overlaid. When the meal arrived, it was not stacked like lasagna but flat like I thought. It came with a side of spaghetti. The eggplant was very tender and the pasta cooked right but the sauce was not great. It was thick as I like it but too tart and on the orange side rather than red. The eggplant was warm and not hot which explains why the cheese on top was partially melted. Seems like it was a reheated dish. The Italian bread was on the soft side, not of high quality.

At the end of the day, I like to support family businesses but must review it like it is so while I was not overall impressed I suggest you give it a shot. I am tired of going to chain restaurants and getting sub-par service, and quality which was not the case. They have been in business 2 1/2 years. The lasagna (with meat) and gnocchi are their most popular dishes.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

Ordered the Linguine and mussels. Excellent cooked to perfection. The owners are
straight from Italy and very nice. They give you bruschetta while you wait for made to order meal. They also give you a side Italian salad with any pasta meal. The pizza is very good too. The owners always take a few minutes to speak with you feels like home. The eggp[lant parmesan is also very good. Never had a bad meal in this Italian Gem!!

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Favorable Trip Advisor reviews prompted our visit to this homey little spot tucked into a strip center that has seen better days. We were served by the garrulous Italian proprietor who seemed genuinely interested in whether we were enjoying his offerings. My wife was very pleased with a Neapolitan pasta dish served with a fried egg. My seafood risotto was tasty but was not made with traditional arborio rice. The house wine (Montepulciano) by the glass was generous and quite reasonably priced. In fact the entire meal was remarkably inexpensive, with throwback pricing. We finished off the meal with a slice of delicious Italian rum cake and two espressos. Neighbors chatting across the restaurant with other neighbors contributed to the friendly local feel. This tiny, brightly lit place offers an affordable, personal, home style alternative to ubiquitous chain Italian restaurants.

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

Momma Lenas is a small place that serves absolutely authentic Italian food. The pizza and pasta are perfect. It's a family run place with some Italian expats, so often I feel like I'm eating at their home. They are amazingly welcoming and attentive and their bruschetta is always a flavorful way to get started on a great evening.