“I will probably never stay at an ESA again...”

Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Glen Burnie
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We chose this hotel because it was 'newly renovated' and we were traveling with somebody with severe asthma and did not want any must/mold/mildew issues.
We paid $120/night for two double beds. We cut our short stay there and went to a much better hotel for $90/night for 2 queens and full hot breakfast!
In fairness, the place we moved did not have a full kitchen like the ESA so maybe I compared apples and oranges, but I chose ESA because it was newly renovated, not the kitchen. A fridge and micro was all we needed.

Here are just a few reasons we left:
1. Halls were so smoky my asthmatic relative had to cover mouth and hold breath from the elevator to the room. This was on the NONSMOKING second floor. This was true both nights. I noticed perusing the reviews just now that his has been a problem in the past so it was not just a fluke when we were there. (The rooms were clean enough if it weren't for the smoke issue.)
2. The deadbolt did not actually bolt. It needed filing down. The maintenance guy had left for the day and so the hotel kindly gave my husband permission to fix it, but he couldn't because too much smoke was coming in the room while he worked.
3. Grab and Go breakfast not worth grabbing. They did not even keep coffee out past 930am.
4. We paid $10 extra per person presumably because of the cost of breakfast and the house keeping but they do not do daily house keeping and there is no way the breakfast was worth paying extra for.
5. I had an 830am daily conference call and there was no common area at all that I could sit and take the call (while my family slept in the room). The lobby has two chairs but it was too loud between staff conversations and customers coming and going. I had to stand between the two front paris of double doors for part of my calls to hear. ...We went during a cold snap and I am from the south so I did not take the call sitting in my car :)
6. Beds not comfortable. A good night's sleep is very important to us.

Some of these things above may not be important to you so you can take this FWIW.
I suppose if one really had to have a full kitchen this might be a reasonable price but I did not shop around for this.
There was a flashing smoke alarm that was very bright at night like a strobe light. Evidently it goes off easily when cooking because somebody had tied a grocery bag around it! (The maintenance guy fixed that ASAP as soon as we pointed it out to him.)
Did I mention drunks in the lobby hassling the desk clerk? Police called for argument on another floor too evidently.

I will say that most of the staff was extremely nice, especially the manager, but the quality of the hotel was low end with a high end price (considering where we went instead).

This was my first stay at an ESA and the experience makes me likely to never consider staying at ESA hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank hhjzhm

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Came down to visit a relative and an overniter at this great La Quinta here in Glenn Burnie, Not much to say other than it's very ecconomical and very nice clean rooms, we have the executive suite and also with their LaQunita rewards tonite's stay is free as we earned points from previous visits. Other than the fact that it was hard to get a smoking room it being kind of cold outside we're quite happy with this location when we need be in MD.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dee - Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please know, the hotel you stayed at was an Extended Stay America, not a La Quinta. Still, we do appreciate your comments about how much you enjoyed your time at our hotel.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Staying at extended stay America was a great experience, the service was great and so were the employees. House keeping was great as well,well done when needed. Very clean and refreshing stay, I loved it It's a for sure guarantee that I'll come back to stay!

• Stayed: September 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that the service that you were offered was great and you had a great experience as well .

Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel stay is by far one of my best stay ever. The hotel is clean and the ladies at the front desk always greet me with a smile. This hotel is close to all the major restaurants and grocery store. I want to say a special thanks to Shanika and Eunice for always being there whenever I need directions or have any questions two awesome ladies.

• Stayed: September 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dominic - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed our clean and fresh guest rooms. We thrive to provide clean rooms and excellent customer service at our hotel. I am pleased to hear that Eunice and Shaneka were both helpful and accommodating to all your request.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Upon arrival to the hotel, other hotel manager, Eunice, greeted us with a really big smile and greeting that made our evening after an all day of traveling. She was very accommodating when she realized we would best benefit from a handicap room due to my sister's illness. That was really refreshing to feel the sincere caring of the hotel staff. The night shift receptionist was especially professional as she answered many questions about the area and providing hotel information.......service with a smile. I can't say enough great comments about the positive experience of the entire staff here.
They made the stress of a serious medical visit to Baltimore pleasant by providing a very comfortable living accommodation for me and my sister.
Thank you all!

Alexis & Quintin

Room Tip: From talking with other hotel guest, all the rooms received a great review.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Quintin - The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such positive things about our staff. I'm so pleased to hear that the staff provided you with everything you needed. Also, I am glad to know that you found your accommodations comfortable. We care about every guest that comes to stay at our hotel .

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I´ve been staying for two weeks so far and intend to stay two more. The rooms are really comfortable, but what particularly stands out is the kindness and readiness of every employee.
I´m actually thankful, since it offers far more than what is paid for.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Andres - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that your room was comfortable and our staff provided you with such great service. It has been a true pleasure having you stay with us so far, and we look forward you do so for another two nights and in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I had a great experience at da extended stay america in glen burnie, md. Its was in a great location close to da airport downtown baltimore and 30 mins from DC and it even has a Wal-Mart in da backyard

• Stayed: August 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you had a good experience at our hotel and that you liked our location. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Burnie
Hampton Inn Baltimore / Glen Burnie
La Quinta Inn & Suites Baltimore South Glen Burnie
Days Inn Baltimore South/Glen Burnie
Comfort Inn & Suites BWI Airport
4 mi away
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - BWI Airport - Aero Dr.
Extended Stay America - Baltimor...
#25 of 29 in Linthicum Heights
4 mi away
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - BWl Airport - International Dr.
Extended Stay America - Baltimor...
#26 of 29 in Linthicum Heights

Been to Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Glen Burnie? Share your experiences!