“A fair price for a clean basic room”
Review of Casselman Inn

Casselman Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grantsville
Sykesville, Maryland
“A fair price for a clean basic room”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We love the Casselman Inn and stay there multiple times each summer while enjoying deep creek lake. Just a brief 15 minute trip from Deep Creek at a quarter of the price of anything around the lake. We keep our boat at the lake and use the Casselman as our nightly base for 6-8 days each month during the summer. The rooms are very basic but clean and comfortable. The restaurant is excellent for breakfast (the only meal we generally eat there). You can not beat the price and they have a WONDERFUL NO PETS and NO SMOKING policy!

Room Tip: There a re a couple more "quaint and cozy" rooms in the old inn itself that are great for...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank beefdoctor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Talbott, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I am a budget traveler and at $58 a night this is hard to beat. The rooms were large and clean. The TV was small and so was the bed. If you have to have a large soft bed, this is not the place for you. The service was great and so was the atmosphere. I love historical places and this was a place you could feel the history. We stayed in the newer part of the hotel. I think the rooms are a little more in the inn but that would have been a nice experience. We were there for my nephews graduation and had two rooms, so we went as cheap as possible. The restaurant was good with homemade bread and wonderful pancakes. The Angus burger was good but warning the Casselman special sandwich is a deep fried sandwich. Yes bread and all is deep fried. All in all it was a great stay on a budget.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, Only stay in the rear - Motor Lodge portion of the hotel. Called the hotel to advise a late check in, Room was very clean, Heater worked perfectly fine. View was of the small stream in front of the hotel. Couldn't hear any road noise from US 40. Rates are considerably cheaper than the Comfort Inn in Grantsville. Beds were comfortable. Ample lighting in room. Bathroom & room itself were very clean.

Room Tip: Odd Numbered Rooms that face the front = US 40 side of the motor inn provide a view of a small strea...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AMTK41
Baltimore
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

We didn't plan on staying in Grantsville, but a snowstorm and a bad transmission landed us on the Casselman's doorstep one cold night. We chose one of the historic rooms in the main building (not the motor lodge) even though we knew it had only a very small TV and an antique bath instead of shower. Though these might seem major negatives, they fit in well with the inn's historic character and Mennonite heritage.

Our room was small but had an interesting antique bed and a beautiful old bathtub. The small TV tuned in to a surprising variety of channels. The bed slept well.

Best of all was the breakfast buffet in the dining room down stares, included in our room cost. The dining room was wonderful, especially with the large stone fireplace full of real crackling logs. The buffet was delicious and well-stocked, the coffee was good and in plentiful supply, and the staff was friendly.

We concluded our stay by sitting in the historic and comfortable lobby until our ride arrived. A pleasant end to an unexpected adventure.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Wesley O
Buford, Georgia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Some friends along with my wife and I were taking a motorcycle trip for the week up to Canada and this was our first night's stay. We were excited to stay in this historic building and although older, figured it had been updated, much like many of the bed and breakfast locations we've stayed in up North in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Unfortunately, we were disappointed at the amenities this location provided us. The rooms were barely basic. A small 12 inch TV, noisy window A/C, a clawfoot bathtub that barely fit my 6'3" frame, a small bar of basic soap with which to wash, small bath towels, a small double bed,...well,,,you get the drift. I wasn't expecting the Ritz, but was expecting a bit more out of this location.

If they really wish to attract more people and run the motel like it should be, I would encourage them to contact the St. James Motel in downtown Red Wing, MN. There they have renovated an older downtown building circa 1800's to turn it into a fabulous motel with amenities that meet the standards of the early 21st Century. Yes, they charge more, but it is worth it!

Otherwise, our stay was pleasant at the Casselman. I may have placed too many expectations on it, but I am not sure that I did. My wife definitely was not impressed either.

A positive is the restaurant at the motel. This "appears" to be very excellent country style food and it was delicious! We had the pleasure of eating there on Saturday evening and the rolls and apple butter are DELICIOUS!! This restaurant was the highlight of our stay! I'll hope to do a review of it.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms in the "Inn" itself...but there is a motor inn in the back that I...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Sykesville, Maryland
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Casselman is a family favorite when visiting Deep Creek Lake. Great place to spend a night without spending a fortune. Forget the chain hotel up the road and relax at the Casselman. Plus, the food in the adjoining restaurant is awesome. If you need a place that is quite, quaint and very reasonably priced, this is the place for you. Just 5 minutes off Route 68. Easy to find.

Room Tip: The whole area is very quite. The King Rooms are large and comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed only one night at the Casselman for a business trip back in May 2012 and I really didn't spend too much time in the room but here's what I have to say about the hours I was there.

The room I stayed in was very basic - double bed, TV circa 1990 with basic cable, microwave circa 1990, no Internet, no iron/ironing board, dim/yellow lighting, clean bathroom, thin walls--someone was watching TV in the room adjacent to me and I could almost make out the words being said.

So, basically, I got what I paid for. I truly couldn't beat the value but it showed in the lack of ammenities.

If I had to be in the area for another overnight, I'd definitely stay here again but I'd be sure to bring some wrinkle-free clothing options and ear plugs.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grantsville
Gunter Hotel
Yough Valley Motel
Yough Valley Motel
#1 of 1 in Friendsville
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort & Spa

Been to Casselman Inn? Share your experiences!