“Very disappointing”
Review of Chic's Seafood

Chic's Seafood
Ranked #68 of 268 Restaurants in Hagerstown
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: (301) 739-8220 http://maps.google.com/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=chic%27s+seafood,+hagerstown&fb=1&gl=us&hq=chic%27s+seafood,&hnear=Hagerstown,+MD&cid=3815188812655022034
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I went to Chic's for lunch with a colleague because we both had some business in Hagerstown and when we travel we like to try local fun stuff. So if we're in Maryland and there's a place with a crab on the roof and good reviews, we're in! We shouldn't have gone in Chic's.

Between us we ordered a dozen oysters on the half shell, a Maryland Crab Soup and two crab cake sandwiches and a drink. With tip, our meal came to $40.

I didn't finish my oysters because they had an off flavor, and one was obviously bad. The crab soup tasted like Campbell's tomato soup combined with a freezer bag of grainy mixed veg (green beans, lima beans, peas) and some canned crab. The crab cakes were bland and flavorless (my guess to the recipe is more cheap canned crab and Ritz crackers), and they were served on school cafeteria style hamburger buns. As we were there right as they opened, we were the first customers. So would it have killed them to give us fresh potato chips rather than the stale bottom of last night's bag? Even the garnish of kale was yellow and wilted. I was very disappointed and would rather have spent my time at a Waffle House with a pile of hashbrowns.

The good things: the server was a sweetheart and the place was clean.

The best part of the meal was the mint.

5  Thank Elizabeth C

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I've only ate at the actual restaurant just once, and the food was very good. But for the past 3 years now, my parents as well as myself always get our bushel of crabs from Chic's. With the influx of crab prices, Chic's has always remained reasonably priced as well descent in size. We always get the #2 males and over half the bushel is #1 sizing. Anytime we get crabs for a family picnic, they always rave about them. They are always cooked perfectly, good in size, spicy and flavorful and we have never come across a bad crab yet. We have tried other places and we were always sorry (small, overpriced, overcooked, no flavor, bad crabs).

Chic's is the best for crabs! Love their version of the old bay "seasoning".

3  Thank Sm1leSunSh1ne
Reviewed 7 September 2013

If you are looking for refined dining - this is not the place for you. But who eats crabs in a refined way? The place could use a little facelift but the restrroms need a complete overhaul. Think biohazard suit just to enter the john. The service is good and the crabs come to you nice and hot. The cost of your crabs is based on their size so we recently went and had smalls for $20 a dozen. They were meaty so that was good.

We live locally and know that Chics has the best crabs around. Eat in (but dont use the restrooms) or take-out and you'll be happy with the crabs.

3  Thank WashedupWornout
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were driving through Maryland on our way home and I said to my husband "We can't go through Maryland without getting some Maryland Crab" So we went to trip advisor and found Chic's Seafood. It looked kind of old but had a big crab on top of the roof. Cute! We went at an off time (3pm) and it was quiet. That was great for us because the owner spent a lot of time with us telling us the history of the restaurant and civil war history in that area. Very interesting. The meal was delicious. I had crab cake sandwich and wonderful creamy crab soup. WOW!! It is off the beaten path but worth going to.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had dinner there last night. The food and service was great. We are from Arkansas here visiting friends in Maryland. It was our first experience eating crabs. They were great! We also had crab cakes and New England style Clam Chowder. The crab cakes were very good. I wasn't too crazy about there chowder, it's was too thick. It was more like eating paste.

Been to Chic's Seafood? Share your experiences!