“Not a bad place to stay”

SpringHill Suites Hagerstown
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
London, Canada
“Not a bad place to stay”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stopped here on our way to Virginia. We arrived late at night. We were able to get a suite which met our needs (3 beds). The hotel was clean and the front desk staff were helpful and friendly. The rooms was big and roomy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night and the hotel did not seem that busy. The lobby was mostly empty over the course of the eveing. Well, we certainly got a different point of view on Sunday morning at breakfast. The breakfast hours lasted until 9:30 so we got down there by 8:30 expecting to beat the run at 9am. Boy, were we wrong! There was a line of people waiting for food... the only hot food was biscuits & gravy. The scrambled eggs were gone and there was no replacement for at least 15 minutes. I know because I waited! The women in charge was friendly but clearly overwhelmed by the number of the people. The girl from the front desk came over to ask her if she needed help and proceeded to empty the trash and help out. Finally I did get some eggs but they were gone in minutes. People were scooping up large quantities of eggs oblivious that others might like some, too. My sons ate cereal and waffles and were happy with those options. They did have a reasonable selection of cold items but limited for the hot items. I was surprised there was no bacon or sausage at all.

Our room, on the other hand, was quite nice and spacious. Very clean in every way. We have two teen boys so one spread out on the couch and enjoyed his little area. We took advantage of the fridge and micro which were clean and efficiently laid out. Our room looked out over the mall parking lot and the Courtyard next door.

If in the area, I would likely try somewhere else since there were quite a few other hotels in the area. The price was competitive but the craziness at breakfast makes me want to try elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HFLtraveler
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I normally stay at their sister property but decided to try Springhill for the larger rooms since my wife and I were traveling with our 9 week old son. The room was nice and fairly spacious with the sitting area. My wife liked the extra sink in the area of the fridge and microwave. It is almost like a bar area with just a sink fridge and microwave. This area was very helpful for her to wash bottles and breast pumping supplies. The only complaints were the free breakfast was a little lacking on choice and the major issue was that the maid just started opening the door with one light knock at 8:30 am on Sunday without allowing us to respond or announcing housekeeping. This was not good since we were not even dressed. Other than one bad housekeeper I would recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013
Trumbull, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I am a fan of the spring hills, and as a Marriott member with 2 young adult children, stay in them often for the extra space. As usual, the hotel was great in terms of breakfast, price, cleanliness, fitness center, etc. But I do have to say that the helpfulness and professionalism of the hotel staff, especially the front desk staff was STELLAR. So if being treated well is important to you, especially after a long day of driving, stay here!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Wiesbaden , Germany
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We decided to stay in Hagerstown for one night and came up with the Springhill Suites because of ist Location Close to the Valley Mall. The room looked exactly the same as one we had stayed in before in another Springhill Hotel in Norfolk,Va.
The staff in the Hotel was compared to other experiences before very friendly and motivated and the our stay was very comfortable.
I would say, when staying in the area you can´t do no anything wrong with this hotel

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Southern Maryland
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with our teenage son. The staff was excellent-very friendly, efficient and helpful. Suite was very clean. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast was better than most. It was quiet. didn't use the pool, exercise room or jacuzzi. They all looked very clean and there were even lift systems to help disabled guests into and out of the pool and jacuzzi. Looks like a lot of care was taken to accomodate disabled guests. The only con was the air conditioning in our room. We kept lowering it but it never seemed to go below a certain level. Still it was working and not really uncomfortable. Bathroom is separate from the vanity area. Helpful in getting ready as someone could be using the shower or toilet and others can still be getting ready. Overall very good hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ohio
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Thins I found to be positive:
VERY Friendly, helpful staff
EXCELLENT complimentary breakfast selections
Clean, roomy suites
Fridge/Microwave in room
Ample parking
Location near mall with beer store and restaurants nearby
Easy access to 81, easy to find
Nice pool, clean area
Nice outdoor patio by pool

I don't think anything here was bad, so I don't want these comments to be meant as negative. Just things to be aware of (we stayed in room 414). I was traveling for business and brought along my husband and children. Had I been traveling alone, most of this wouldn't have mattered, but there are points to keep in mind when traveling with children.
1 - The suite was large and roomy with a nice living area, but there is only one TV on a swivel base that turns from living room to bed area. Most suites we have stayed in have one TV in living area and one in sleeping space which allows my husband and me to watch our selection and the kids to watch their selection in the evening.

2 - The shower/toilet are in a separate room from the sink/mirror/vanity and there are no outlets in the bathroom. When I was getting up in the morning early to get ready for my meetings, I always woke everyone up TOO EARLY with the hairdryer and lights on the vanity. In the past, other suites have had a complete bathroom behind a door.

3 - There is not a light over the area where the the coffee pot/fridge/microwave is located, so I had to turn on the big light (and wake everyone up again) to make coffee in the morning.

4 - The beds were not really comfortable... not bad, but not what I'm used to at Marriott properties. (I was the only one bothered by this, everyone else in my party thought they were fine)

5 - The walls seemed very thin, as I was awakened by our neighbors alarm clock at 5am every day. Something seemed to rattle all night long. Not sure if it was HVAC or the AC unit in the room itself, but it was rattly and kept waking me up (i'm a light sleeper... everyone else slept just fine)

______________________
TIP: If you are in this area and looking for something fun to do related to history, check out Antietam National Battlefield. We took the kids here (2, 11, 13, 16) and spent 4 hours checking the place out and it entertained them that long. We were limited on time due to time of day, and could have spent an entire day here exploring, learning, and hiking. It's a GEM! If you are into photography, bring your camera, there are some GREAT spots for photos! The path from parking to Burnside Bridge has some great stone backdrops and the bridge area itself is just beautiful!

After we finished at the battlefield we went to a great local restaurant - Dan's Restaurant & Tap House. Nice, casual atmosphere, great food and craft beers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family