“A very pleasant surprise in Hagerstown”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Super 8 Hagerstown

Super 8 Hagerstown
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Hagerstown
Staten Island, New York
“A very pleasant surprise in Hagerstown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I needed to find a hotel in Hagerstown for a night in June, but with this month being prime time for graduations and weddings, rooms were scarce and expensive. The Super 8 was available, affordable and conveniently located, so I decided to give it a chance, with a little trepidation. My family and I were very pleasantly surprised.

The hotel staff, who seemed to be related, were friendly and helpful. The lobby was very clean and had obviously been newly renovated. Our second-floor room was also newly renovated, in a very attractive style, with two striking photographic pictures behind the beds. Our room had a microwave, wifi service and a refrigerator, which we need on our travels as we have a toddler whose milk and food needs to be stored. The room itself was clean and very nice. The hotel's website had mentioned that a crib was available. I inquired about this, as I had forgotten our travel crib, but we eventually decided not to use it. However, they do offer the item to guests.

The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast in a comfortable dining area off the lobby. There were pastries, bagels, cold cereal, milk, orange juice, apple juice, coffee, and America's favorite hotel amenity: a make-your-own-waffle machine! I was more than satisfied with the breakfast.

One thing to be aware of, especially for handicapped and elderly people: the hotel has three floors, but doesn't have an elevator, as far as I could tell. That didn't really matter to us, but it might to some people. If that's an issue, staying on the first floor isn't an option, since you'd stil have to descend some steps to get there. Since it wasn't something that was an issue for us, I didn't ask if there was some work-around for people who can't use steps, so I suggest calling the hotel before booking if that's a concern.

A few areas for improvements: Although the hotel was freshly renovated and was very clean, there were a few areas that need attention. 1: the shower unit was not constructed in one piece, so that the seam between the components acted as a magnet for soap scum and mildew and needed cleaning. There was also some hairs clinging to the walls of the shower. That might not be obvious to someone cleaning, but it is when you're standing in the shower. 2. There was an exposed 2x4 underneath the bathroom countertop. That's not a problem, but it just looks unprofessional. 3. The microwave sits on top of the refrigerator. The top of the refrigerator needs to be cleaned badly. 4. There is a power strip that is stretched so far that it is suspended half way up the wall in order to accomodate all the appliances (TV, fridge, etc.) that are plugged into it. That looks_really_unprofessional, and is probably dangerous to boot.

Overall, I was very happy with this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
HagerstownSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Hagerstown, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed review of our hotel. We appreciate your many compliments on our accommodations and amenities. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff as well. Since you mentioned that we don't have an elevator, I wanted to let you know that we do have a wheelchair accessible ramp descending to the first floor. We do appreciate your suggestions about the room and we are working to make those improvements. Thanks again for your review and please come and see us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)