The 1828 Trail Inn
US$63
Hancock Motel(Hancock)
US$73
US$71
Berkeley Springs Motel(Berkeley Springs)
US$56
Travelocity
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs(Berkeley Springs)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$127
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn(Berkeley Springs)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$81
HIExpress.com
Cacapon Resort State Park(Berkeley Springs)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$87
US$84
Priceline
Motel 6 Martinsburg(Martinsburg)
US$67
US$64
All reviewswasher and dryerbike tripcanal trailb blaundry facilitiesfront porchdoctor's officehomemade muffinswestern marylandbike shopcovered in mudgracious hostsbike storagelarge bathroomlovely homesecure storageliving room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I was riding as part of a group of five men riding from Pittsburgh to Washington DC on the GAP/C&O Trail. It was my second stay at the 1828 (the first was on a ride with my wife from DC to Pittsburgh the previous year) and it will NOT be my last.
I describe the 1828 Trail Inn as the ONE place on the trail that I MUST stay at, and I will arrange my trips to make sure we stop there! The rooms are VERY comfortable, regardless of if you are here for a stop on the trail or for a get-away weekend. The owners are very experienced in catering to bike riders and hikers, and provide a locked garage, a hose to clean off both bikes and body (if needed after a muddy ride), a convenient laundry room, extremely comfortable beds with private baths, and above all, their hospitality is unmatched.
The breakfast itself is worthy of high praise, and you will be delighted with the personally made and delicious offerings they serve. They ask in advance if you have any food allergies and go out of their way to make sure you will be pleased with your breakfast. It is my favorite breakfast on the trail.
The Inn is located about two blocks from the C&O Trail, and if you want to FIND something wrong with your stay, it is the steep hill standing between the trail and the lockable garage behind the Inn. However, taking on the hill is WELL worth the trouble, even after a long ride, and I highly recommend the 1828 to ANYBODY traveling through Hancock, regardless of their purpose.

Room Tip: The Doctor's Office is our favorite, but ALL of the rooms are very comfortable. If you want dinner, keep in mind that the main restaurant in town DOES close at 8 pm.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank letsgopitt106
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here as part of a 3-day ride on the C&O Trail. This place is MADE for cyclists. Great shed to park the cycles and lock them up so they are secure. Great little guest room with laundry and drinks...and a first aid kit :) We stayed in "the doctor's room" with a wonderful king size bed. We slept like babies. Breakfast was outstanding with a nice egg soufflé with a little bite to it. The muffins we took to go were amazing. Treat yourself to a great night and a super starting in the morning

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamiSay
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Traveling with 7others, riding the trail, we stayed here for 1 night. The hostess was very welcoming, we had cheese and biscuits, cake and coffee on arrival in the afternoon. The rooms were large, very well equipped and clean.

Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bikerchick39
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed at 1828, 2 nights ago, a starting point for a 2nd leg to our C and O canal towpath ongoing adventure. We weren't able to show up until 11pm (meet up and dinner with biking partners prevailed)and I don't know if they'd want me to say they were still receptive and welcoming at that late hour, but they were!! Our loss as we didn't get to take advantage of the amenities...the living room, porch, our 2nd floor deck or our friends sitting room, but we delayed our start the next morning a bit to do so. I would advise you to arrive early enough to enjoy the close of the day. Our room (Canal Room)was huge with a gas fp and a door out to top deck with chairs, and a large bathroom. Queen leather and wood sleigh bed, very comfy...very quiet and spotless place! I hate to give up this jewel but I don't ever want them out of business! Oh and the southwest casserole with peach muffins were amazing, thanks Bill and Darlene!!

Room Tip: Come early to sit on decks or porch...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My wife and I spent 2 days riding our bicycles on the Western Maryland Bike Trail through Hancock. We stayed at The 1828 Trail Inn and we could not have chosen a more perfect place. The owners were very hospitable (cookies and tea late PM) and the breakfast was wonderful. AND the room we stayed in, The Doctor's Office, was fun and exciting - very comfortable.
I say exciting, because the B&B was actually a Doctor's residence 50+ years ago and his office was attached to the house - our room (no tools of the trade anymore). But, my wife recalled we had a friend in Baltimore that was originally from Hancock - we called her upon our return and she told us that at age 5, 75+ years ago, she had her tonsils out in that very room!
You will enjoy this place!

Room Tip: Ask fir the Doctor's Office
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family