“Great stop on the C&O”
Review of The 1828 Trail Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hancock
The 1828 Trail Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hancock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our 2 nights here, very comfortable and accommodating. The breakfasts were wonderful, which is a good thing because. Hancock is seriously lacking in good restaurants. The washer and dryer made available for guests is very convenient, and the water and juice stocked mini-frig a plus. The trail heads for the West Maryland Rail Trail and The C&O Canal Trail are just across the road, another convenience.

Room Tip: The Doctor's Office has a king sized bed and is very comfortable
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa612013

Reviewed 4 May 2014

VIP treatment at the Inn. Darlene is a darling and Bill the best cook. Linens and towels are of the best quality, great after a day of heavy exercise. They stock the small fridge with refreshing drinks and the breakfast.....delicious!! The Inn is steps from the trail and the C&O canal; during my early morning walk I enjoyed the sighting of beautiful birds, my favorite hobby, with the added bonus of great weather and leafless trees. I even came across a skilled banjo player, playing in the porch of one of the houses along the trail. Darlene can recommend good places to dine. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Road the bike trial from Pgh. to Georgetown the 1828 was my third stop. Did not like the looks of the motels in Hancock. So I took a chance on a B&B. I made the right choice what a great well kept old house. Owners are very nice, room was very clean I stayed in the Doctors office. By myself large bed rested well , washer and dryer cleaned some cloths . Was able to clean my bike lock it up safe for the night.Breakfast was more than I needed and was very good. Stayed there Aug. 2013 to all of you skip the motels. Stay at the 1828

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Fromtheburgh710
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here during my 2009 C&O Canal adventure. Good location, center of town, close to restaurants and bike shop. Rooms were clean, there is laundry service and a generous breakfast with the price of the room. Will stay again. Highly recommended for those who are hiking or biking the local trails. The Town Tavern is across the street. I am sad to report that the best restaurant in town, The Lockhouse, is closed and now an antique shop. What a loss. Weaver’s is a block west and the Triangle Tavern-Restaurant and the Park-n-Dine are ½ mile east.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SlingshotGA
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I was on a 3-day bike ride from Cumberland to Washington, DC along the C&O Canal Trail. My first night's stay was in Hancock. Bill and Darlene the couple who runs the inn couldn't have been more hospitable. My bike was locked in a garage on the property. My room, the Canal View room , was quite spacious as was the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. Even better was the private deck right off the bedroom.

There was a laundry room along with a refrigerator stocked with cold drinks.

Late in the afternoon cheese and crackers and cookies along with coffee and hot tea were put out for snacking. Breakfast the next morning was just perfect before hitting the trail for a day of riding. Not only were Bill and Darlene quite gracious, but Bill is one helluva cook/baker. I highly recommend staying at the 1828 Trail Inn over the run of the mill motel you might find in Hancock.

I would not hesitate to stay here in the future and highly recommend to any bikers or travelers staying overnight in Hancock, MD.

Room Tip: Canal view room has private deck
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LarryG0117
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I was riding as part of a group of five men riding from Pittsburgh to Washington DC on the GAP/C&O Trail. It was my second stay at the 1828 (the first was on a ride with my wife from DC to Pittsburgh the previous year) and it will NOT be my last.
I describe the 1828 Trail Inn as the ONE place on the trail that I MUST stay at, and I will arrange my trips to make sure we stop there! The rooms are VERY comfortable, regardless of if you are here for a stop on the trail or for a get-away weekend. The owners are very experienced in catering to bike riders and hikers, and provide a locked garage, a hose to clean off both bikes and body (if needed after a muddy ride), a convenient laundry room, extremely comfortable beds with private baths, and above all, their hospitality is unmatched.
The breakfast itself is worthy of high praise, and you will be delighted with the personally made and delicious offerings they serve. They ask in advance if you have any food allergies and go out of their way to make sure you will be pleased with your breakfast. It is my favorite breakfast on the trail.
The Inn is located about two blocks from the C&O Trail, and if you want to FIND something wrong with your stay, it is the steep hill standing between the trail and the lockable garage behind the Inn. However, taking on the hill is WELL worth the trouble, even after a long ride, and I highly recommend the 1828 to ANYBODY traveling through Hancock, regardless of their purpose.

Room Tip: The Doctor's Office is our favorite, but ALL of the rooms are very comfortable. If you want din...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank letsgopitt106
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here as part of a 3-day ride on the C&O Trail. This place is MADE for cyclists. Great shed to park the cycles and lock them up so they are secure. Great little guest room with laundry and drinks...and a first aid kit :) We stayed in "the doctor's room" with a wonderful king size bed. We slept like babies. Breakfast was outstanding with a nice egg soufflé with a little bite to it. The muffins we took to go were amazing. Treat yourself to a great night and a super starting in the morning

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamiSay

Been to The 1828 Trail Inn? Share your experiences!