“Wonderful!”
Review of The 1828 Trail Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hancock
The 1828 Trail Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hancock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We stopped here at the end of the first leg of a C&O Canal bike trip. Bill and Darlene are wonderful and could not have been more welcoming. There was a hose to clean off the bikes and a shed to lock them in. The rooms were quite large and very comfortable. The afternoon snacks were delicious and just enough to take the edge off before dinner. There is a nice large front porch for relaxing if the weather is nice, and a comfy living room for when the weather doesn't lend to sitting outside. And the breakfast was AWESOME! If you stay, ask for the Southwest omelet and the blueberry muffins :) We would certainly stay here again, and would recommend it for any of our friends.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nattitude

Reviewed 5 April 2010

I had seen the Inn when I was on a biking day trip on the canal the fall of 2009 and decided that it was where I wanted to stay on an over-night trip on the canal. Their location right off the C&O canal and Western MD Rail trail can't be beat! The lockable shed and hose to clean off your bike is a major plus. After being met by Darlene and welcomed into their home and shown the laundry and guest pantry with fresh drinks, hot and cold water I was completely won over. Once I was shown to my room, The Canal Room, I was already planning, "next time".
Darlene had asked me when I called to make my reservation if I had any special food requirements. I said that I could not eat anything with gluten. Her response was only to ask if I could have rice flour. Her husband Bill made me wonderful gluten free cranberry nut muffins, fresh out of the over for breakfast the next morning.
I went on my way the next morning fortified by a wonderful breakfast and the leftover muffins (with fresh home made apple butter) for my return trip to Cumberland.
If you are riding on the canal, I highly recommend The 1828 Inn as your layover.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Paddle_or_bike
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We were traveling the C&O Towpath, covered in MUD and soaking wet when we called Darlene. She was so warm and accommodating that we felt at home immediately. They had facilities for cleaning and storing our bikes, washing our clothes and ourselves. The ambiance and hospitality was great. Breakfast in the AM was great and set us up well for our next days ride. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank RPilot
Reviewed 23 July 2009

A few friends of mine and I biked the entire C&O Canal trail over the July 4 holiday weekend. We had initially toyed with the idea of staying the first night in Little Orleans (43 miles) but decided it would be worth pedaling the extra 17 miles to the town of Hancock where there were more lodging options. For anyone who is riding the trail or simply stopping in Hancock overnight, it can't be stressed enough that, if you don't stay at the 1828 Trail Inn after being advised to do so, well, all I can say is that I told you so if you stay somewhere else and are not pleased. The Inn is only a couple blocks off the trail, and, from the moment we arrived, Darlene and Bill was as gracious hosts as you could imagine, offering to help with bags, making the hose available to wash the bikes, bringing towels outside for the riders, accessing the storage shed, etc. Once inside, we were treated to cheese, snacks, and amazing pecan brownies that we're still talking about. The 7 of us booked the entire Inn, which had 4 very spacious rooms, each with a bathroom/shower and very comfortable queen/king beds. One room had a jacuzzi tub. Though big enough for only two very close friends, we took turns getting our muscles relieved from the perfectly placed jets. We were made to feel as though the house was entirely ours, and, when we weren't lounging in the living room, we played games and drank wine in the dining room before crashing hard on the comfy beds. In the morning, we were treated to juices, coffee, homemade blueberry muffins, and a wonderful egg/potatoe casserole. It was everything that 6 weary bikers and our sherpa could have wanted!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank BikerDude63
Reviewed 13 August 2008

The 1828 Trail Inn is a top notch B&B and is a real gem on the C&O Canal. My two sons and I stayed there while biking the trail and were treated royally. Bill and Darlene are wonderful hosts and really made us feel at home. A hose to wash our bikes, a shed for bike storage, laundry facilities, and cold drinks waiting in the fridge were fantastic. Breakfast was totally delicious (croissant cheesy omelettes....yum) and Darlene even packed up some muffins for the road. The house has been magnificently restored and everything was impeccably clean. Even the towels were plush. They really have left no details unattended to. It will definitely be a stop the next time we ride the trail.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank rxsrw
Reviewed 6 August 2008

This was a fantastic value! My father in-law and I are biking the C&O Towpath and stopped off in Hancock, MD. The owners of the 1828 Trail Inn really took great care of us.

Their customers are mainly bikers and hikers on the Towpath, and it shows. They were completely set up to accomodate us at every turn--even helping us clean our gear and bikes after 60 miles of riding through mud! They have a safe, clean, dry storage shed for bikes and gear. They also allowed us to use their laundry facilities to clean our clothes.

The food and refreshments were plentiful and excellent. They even have special high-pro omelettes for bikers. Fantastic! The rooms were spacious, clean, and very tastefully decorated to match the period of the house. I have stayed at many B&Bs over the years, and they spoiled us.

If you are passing through Hancock, MD, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 July 2008

This is one of the best B&B's we have stayed at. We came for a relaxing, quick getaway. Bill and Darlene are warm, friendly and very helpful. They really have thought of everything. The house is beautiful and comfortable, everything is very clean. They have a shed to lock up the bikes, a laundry available to guests, and a nice little kitchenette area for guests. The bike trails we rode on are conveniently across the street. We stayed in the Railroad room and the bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and a large glass door shower. And a nice little private porch.
Breakfast was delicious and filling, we had a assorted fruit compote, croissant omelette, bacon, and muffins. There were many choices of juices, and the coffee and tea water are kept at a proper temperature.

There are restaurants within walking distance; we ate at the Lockhouse for dinner, and Weavers for lunch. There is a bike shop in town where you can rent bikes and get repairs, and they also have a small store with drinks and snacks. The stopped in and chatted with the owner who is friendly and helpful.

We had brought our bikes and rode on mostly the paved trail and the C&O towpath. The 21 mile long paved trail is called the Western Maryland Rail Trail and is centered in Hancock, Md. This is separate trail but it does connect up with the 184 mile long (Washington DC to Cumberland, MD) C&O towpath. We biked on both but the paved section is nice is you just want an easy ride.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Been to The 1828 Trail Inn? Share your experiences!