“Not impressed.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Not impressed.”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I was looking forward to trying out the relatively new Element chain, but it did not impress me much. It seems the place is focusing way too much on being 'hip' and not enough on maintaining standard necesities. For example, the room I got had a full kitchen, but had almost no pots, pans, cooking utensils etc. It had 4 plates and four glasses, but only three butter knives, one fork and one spoon. It really would be impossible to actually cook anything in the full kitchen with the supplies provided.

The bathroom had no soap for the sink for my first three nights. When I finally asked at the desk if no soap was somehow the new hip/green thing to do, they said no and handed me a bar of soap saying that they had actually run out of soap and just got a box in??? There was also no trash can in the bathroom, which basically meant that all my bathroom trash ended up in the toilet.

I was also not impressed with the fact that the 'hip' stlye meant that there was no place to put anything. There is no dresser or counter in the bedroom, just some drawers in the closet. So with no where to put things, all of my stuff ended up lined up on the floor along the wall.

The breakfast food was pretty good, although I am usually in a hurry and like to grab stuff to go. But here there was nothing to grab for the road... no yogurt, no cereal boxes, no individually wrapped pastry etc. So if you want to eat, you pretty much have to sit down and eat it there. The dinner was much worse. Each night they put out a hot dish and a salad. The salad was good, but the hot choices that I witnessed were quite gross, to say the least. Mostly I saw people flock to the free beer and ignore the nasty food.

On a positive note, the bed was very comfortable and the pillows were great. The shower was also good. I also really liked the TV channel selection which included at least 50 channels.

But overall I did not really like the place and wouldn't choose it again. I get the feeling that the hotel is experiencing financial issues, which would help explain some of the shortfalls with the food, soap, etc. I agree with the review below that suggests that Starwood should do a surprise inspection of this place, and I don't think it would do very well.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank frank3355
Chris D, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear frank 3355,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience here at the Element Arundel Mills. I am glad you found the bed "very comfortable and the pillows.....great" but also am extremely concerned about the level of service you had vis-a-vis amenities in the room and the quality and selection of our breakfast and evening meals.

There is no excuse or reason for the level of service you received and I am taking this feedback as an opportunity to improve our service levels and exceed the expectations that you and all our guests expect from us.

I hope you stay with us again and give us the chance to wow you! Please, do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Chris Dabi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 March 2012

You are greeted upon entering this hotel with dog dishes sporting dog food and water, to underscore their pet friendliness. A dog lover (traveling sans dogs), I found this clever and entertaining. The other thing I noted upon my arrival was the "no room parties allowed" in the list of rules presented. The reason why would become obvious when I got to my room.

The hotel is new and sports a very Swedish/European look, with clean lines, stainless steel, blonde wood, etc. The room was quite impressive. There were 3 distinct sections of the room. The bathroom was a large and stylish, with a big shower at the end with a large glass door and a big paddle shower head (plus a removable wand head), as well as a low counter with a high above-mounted bowl sink. The side mirror lighting was great, especially for makeup application. The work area half of the room had wood (fake?) floor (good for pets!), with -- all along the left side wall -- a large closet followed by a kitchen with a full-sized stainless steel fridge and a counter with a big microwave, a sink, a 2 burner electric stove, and two bar stools beneath. A European/minimalist desk with ergonomic chair was at the end of this space, and there was a large unit for plugging in your laptop, cell phone, ipod, etc. A credenza holding a swiveling flat screen TV and a knee wall with another small bar stool counter separated the work space from the living area. The living area had a king size bed and a low slung but large L shaped couch -- thus the admonishment against room parties. The bed was very comfortable. I heard not a noise from anyone/anything else.

The computer was down in the business center, meaning I could not print my boarding pass myself, although the desk clerk said she could do it through her computer. She also said a service call had been placed and that another local hotel whose business center I could use instead.

The fitness center was quite nice. 2 ellipticals, 2 treadmills, 2 bikes and I believe another machine or two plus weights, spring water and towels. The breakfast was okay. It included some hot items and some smoothies plus some cold cereal and toast/bagel/muffin options.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear j1959c,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Element Arundel Mills!

We pride ourselves on being a great place to stay in the Hanover - Arundel Mills area and I am thrilled you found our facilities and service to be top-notch. We love the way our suites are laid out and the numerous amenities we provide. Our gym happens to be the best in the Arundel Mills area. Thank you for your feedback about the business center computers. I hope it was not an inconvenience.

I am glad you are coming back to stay when you are in the area. Please stop by and say hello.

Thank you.

C. Dabi
Element Arundel Mills
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is a great hotel concept. When you enter the hotel, there is a bowl of water and dog biscuits waiting for your faithful friend. Every morning there is delicious strong coffee and a full breakfast waiting for you in the lobby. My room was excellent: a full kitchen, full-size refrigerator, two large flat screen TVs, a nice lounge area, and very modern bathroom with floor to ceiling glass door. Very comfortable King size bed. Convenient to Arundel Mills Mall, and a nice shopping center with a Safeway where you can buy meals and save a lot of money not dining out. They even have a "Pet Program", but I didn't take advantage of it.

There is a great park across the street with large open areas where you can run your dog, play basketball or tennis.

I was commuting to our commercial loan servicing center in Laurel, and it was a snap.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear bunnyholmes,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are glad you found our facilities to be "a great hotel concept."

We are very fortunate to be located close by the Arundel Mills Mall with all its shopping and entertainment outlets. You mentioned almost everything we have except our gym (the best in the area), our indoor pool, our outdoor courtyard space oufitted with a full-service grill (very popular in the spring and summer), and our Monday to Thursday comfort dinners. We also have a grocery delivery service in-house. All you have to do is leave us with a grocery list in the morning and we shop and stock your refrigerator or cabinets by close of business the same day. Our guests love it!

Thank you for selecting The Element at Arundel Mills, and we look forward to hosting you again soon. I might just treat you to a manager's barbecue.

Live well,

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The hotel has a very friendly Staff neatness of the hotel is a-class. Very easy access to the shopping center n with their shuttle service makes it more fun. Their breakfast n dinner service is just tremendous, their well organized rooms makebyou feel so much at home. The front desk is ver imformative. Would surely love to visit again, I really enjoyed my stay at the element arundel mills.

Krist young. Md

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Chris D, General Manager at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Krist Y

Thank you for commenting on your recent experience at Element Arundel Mills. I am very happy to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. We feel we set ourselves apart with our service and it sounds like we did just that. Shopping at Arundel Mills Mall is always fun considering the number of great retailing options.

Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to hosting you again next time you visit the Arundel Mills area.

maryland
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The rooms were nice. Front desk staff was very helpful. Had a horrible experience when we accidentally left my son's favorite stuffed animal there. I called less than an hour after getting home and the toy was gone. I am guessing the housekeeping staff either stole it or threw it out. I can't believe anyone could be so heartless.

Breakfast was also a bit of a mess. They need more space and staff given the number of people at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear LJGMD,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Element Arundel Mills! We pride ourselves on great guest service, and we are very pleased that you found our staff to be "very helpful."

Thank you for your feedback about the stuffed animal your son left behind. I believe if you called within a couple of hours or so, it might not have found it's way to our Lost and Found Department. I would love an opportunity to make this right. Please give me a call at the hotel so I can get some details about the stuffed animal to facilitate an investigation. Please call me at 1-443-577-0050.

I hope you stay with us again and give us the chance to wow you!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2012

It is nice that breakfast is complementary at Element Arundel Mills. However, comparing with my first visit in spring 2011, I notice the breakfast items are greatly reduced. Last March 2011, I came to the breakfast area and saw the entire table was filled with varieties of pastries and fresh fruits (strawberries and blueberries). Now? The table is barely filled (see my photo). Is this some kind of cost reduction?

Other than “reduced breakfast”, my stay is enjoyable. Studio room is spacious. Plates, mugs, bowls and kitchen utensils are provided. The external HDMI box connected to the large LCD is working fine. Front desk is friendly and accommodating. This hotel is also pet friendly!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
austin, TX
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I attempted to call a friend at this hotel and was told he was not guest. He was indeed a guest there. The front desk (her name is TK) continued to lie to me about his occupancy at the hotel. She claimed that the company we both work for automatically blocks all calls. I spoke to my friend and he said he requested no such thing, and asked if he had any incoming calls to allow them to come through. Front desk person on a power trip. I would avoid this hotel, or at least avoid trying to call it when TK is working.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business