“I do like the brand but this location is a bit worn out”

Element Arundel Mills
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
GreenLeadersGold level
NJ
“I do like the brand but this location is a bit worn out”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I do like the brand but this particular location is a bit worn out, walls are scuffed and things just not kept up. Carpets in hallways not kept and the first room they gave me had a repair man in there making repairs. I came back down for the second room which was sufficient for a single nights stay.

The layout and accommodation is typical Element so if you have been here before you know what to expect. Clean, modern and up to date look.

Staff was very nice but I would look to another place for a stay in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear 2worldtravelersnj,
We're glad you enjoy the decor, ambiance, and the amazing team we've employed here. We have forwarded your other comments to our management team. Thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here for about 1.5 weeks last fall. I picked the hotel because the hotel is modern and because they allowed dogs to stay for free. Also, since this was for more than a couple of nights, I wanted a kitchenette. Some of the plusses of the hotel include that it was in fact modern and the kitchen was very cute. The bed was quite comfortable and I really enjoyed the shower and the bathroom amenities. However, the negatives outweighed the positives for me. At night they light up very bright lights to advertise the name of the hotel on the outside of the building. Since there is a gab between the shades and the wall, it's almost like you are sleeping with the light on in the room until they this off sometime during the night. I had to call the front desk almost daily to request wash cloths...it became quite aggravating after the first couple of days. At some point during our stay, housekeeping stopped cleaning our room. It took two days for them to tell me that this was because I had a dog in the room. Apparently the rule was that if the dog was not tied up that they wouldn't clean. I'm ok with this rule. I would never want my 5 lb yorkie to attack anyone (smh), but it would have been nice if we were told this information upon check in instead of halfway through the stay. Although overall we were happy with the room itself, the sofa was absolutely disgusting. There were stains on each pillow and it was stinky. I requested a blanket to sit on while on the sofa the first day we were there. As far as the rest of the hotel goes, the hallway carpets were stained & dirty & were badly in need of a deep cleaning or replacement. The elevator carpets were the same. The maids were not friendly at all and after a few days I realized that they would only do a full room cleaning if we were there while they were cleaning. My final gripe was with the front desk. There were a couple of times when either my husband or I needed replacement key cards for one reason or another. It didn't matter if they knew us or not but we didn't have to give them more information than our room number. So, in short, I definitely would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without the outside glowing lights at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kmturner01
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear kmturner01,
We're sorry to hear your recent visit was less than satisfactory. Our team should have done a better job in communicating the cleaning policy when guests are traveling with a pet and apologize you had to find out mid-way through your stay. Safety and security are our number focuses for our on-property guests. When asking for new key cards, our team should be double checking name and proof of ID. Thank you for letting us know. We will be sure to bring this up again at our next team meeting and ensure our team is properly trained. Thanks for sharing and we hope you'll give us another opportunity to host you and your family.
Fort Washington, Maryland
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Where do I start? The room was amazing. Best staycation ever. The bathroom was impeccable. I probably took the longest shower ever because the rain shower head was very soothing. The lighting throughout was very nice and the bed was very plush and comfortable. I slept like a baby. Great location. Everything you could need and more. We will defiantly be back.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Devin R,
Thank you for taking the time to share comments regarding your recent stay in Hanover. We're thankful that you enjoyed your time here and the amenities of our guest rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

This was my third stay here (always when flying into or out of BWI). First the good. Nice rooms. Good bathrooms. Comfortable bed. Friendly staff. Free (though mediocre) breakfast.

But this time I made the mistake of depending on their free shuttle service. And I learned that they really aren't trained to manage it a (confirmed by a senior employee there).

I checked in at 3:10 and said I'd like a ride to the mall as soon as I dropped my bags in my room (two vans were sitting outside). Also reserved a 5:15 shuttle the next morning for my flight. I was told they did a scheduled run at 3:30. When I came down at 3:25 o was told the ride would be a little late because they just left to pick someone up at the airport. 20 minutes later, still no van. Front desk staff was apologetic. Tried to be helpful. But had no idea what to do. Asked to see manager but manager was 'in a meeting' and couldn't be bothered to either see me or contact me later. Eventually an off duty person took pity and drove me over, but in the meantime people were queueing up waiting for a ride to the airport and folks waiting for pickup were being told 20 min when it would really be 40+. Staff didn't seem to have the power to just authorize folks to take a cab (at hotel's expense).

Second trip was pickup. Was actually picked up quickly (within 10 min). Next passengers asked to be taken to Wal-mart on the way, and shockingly the driver didn't drop me off first, but just took them there and waited for them. I'm sure he would have done something if I raised it, but I was shocked and didn't want to have to be the bad guy.

Got my wake-up call at 4:45. Confirmed shuttle scheduled for 5:15. Get a call at 4:50 that 'there is a problem' that someone else is booked for 5, so shuttle won't be back until 5:30. Rush to get down to find abandoned front desk. Lots of apologies when driver finds clerk. But apologies don't make up for poor service, poor training, inattentive management.

Very disappointing. Oh and every time something went wrong people offered me casino coupons. Really? How about paying for a taxi or taking a chunk off the room bill?

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Joseph K
Dear Joseph K,
Thank you for choosing Element Hotels. We're sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant experience with our hotel shuttle. This is not the level of service we want to provide our guests. We would love to speak with you personally regarding your experience. Please reach out to our General Manager, Dan, at dan.jasinski@aloftarundelmills.com.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Yes this front desk clerk is nasty, it seems like she treats folks nasty. My room was nasty too. The shower was cracked and it had stains on the sheets in my bed. There was also a hole in the floor on my room int he corner as if a mouse had been in my suite. My room smelled like someone cooked bacon prior to me coming. For this to have the Westin name attached to it, this hotel and location is horrible. This hotel needs to be checked and searched throughout each room because alof of the rooms are nasty and disgusting and I too had spider webs over my bed and the heating system clogs you up and it becomes to stuffy in the rooms when runnign the heat and the shower leaks water even while door is closed. They charged to much money for thee type of issues. The only thing good at this hotel was the breakfast and that's it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica L
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Jessica L,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent stay in Hanover. We're sorry to hear your room and your stay did not meet your expectations. We have forwarded your comments to our management team. Your comments are important to us as we strive to provide a great product and great service to each and every one of our guests. Thanks again and we hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Siyon was the worst front desk hotel clerk ever. For this hotel to be a high end hotel it gave the most horrible service. The bedrooms had spider webs in them, cracks in the shower, dust like powder stuff rubbing off on your feet while taking a shower. The rooms smelled like folks were cooking right before you checked in. They even have customer service desk clerks who stand around and don't know anything about the hotel itself. The breakfast was descent but that's the only thing. My whole stay was horrible. I would never go back to The Element at this location ever again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hotel C
Dear Hotel C,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent stay in Hanover. We're sorry to hear your room and your stay did not meet your expectations. We have forwarded your comments to our management team. We value your opinion as we strive to provide a great product and great service to each and every one of our guests. Thanks again and we hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed at the Element for one night on a business trip. It's a fairly new property and the staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and had a microwave and frig for those planning on staying a long time. The only major complaint I had was the sound baffling between rooms was poor because my neighbor's alarm came through loud and clear. A secondary issue was the black out shade in my room wasn't functioning, though that's probably just an anomaly of my room. Dinner and breakfast food was OK but serviceable. Overall, a good choice for a business trip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Buddha700
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at Element Arundel Mills, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Buddha700,
Thank you for writing an online review and for choosing Element Hotels. We're glad you enjoyed the fully-equipped kitchens in the rooms. Thanks again for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.