“Very nice!”

SpringHill Suites Arundel Mills BWI Airport
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Hanover
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We stayed at this hotel during a recent visit to Hanover, MD for our childrens' birthdays and had a very pleasant stay! The common areas and rooms were VERY clean and well-appointed. Each room has a kitchenette with micro, fridge, sink and cabinet. The bathroom was spotless and huge (for a hotel bath) and the bedding was comfortable and plush.

The staff was courteous and helpful. We needed extra toiletry items and were cheerfully obliged.

The breakfast buffet was ample, with fried eggs, boiled eggs, sausage patties, a variety of breads and muffins, cold and hot cereals, juices, coffee, waffle station and yogurt. We arrived at the buffet about a half hour before it ended and found everything still stocked and fresh (this has been an issue at other Marriott locations for us).

The indoor pool was small, but clean, and staffed by a polite lifeguard. The whirlpool was relaxing, and pools were provided in the pool area.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in this area.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 January 2009

We booked 50 rooms with this hotel through there group rates department. I had booked them well in advance of the 2009 Inauguration. We had over 180 people in this hotel along with other groups that were not affiliated with us. The hotel staff was very accomadating to our needs. They even made us bagged breakfasts when we needed to rush out the door to catch our buses for the Parade. They definately knew how to handle big groups. They understood that teenagers will be teenagers and that when the kids were being a little loud they knew who to call to fix any problem. So if you have a big group coming to the DC Baltimore area I would recommend this hotel in a heart beat.. So thanks again to Sue, Susan, and Jamily for all your hospitality.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 17 December 2008

The Good: Easy check-in, desk/reception staff was not overtly friendly, but not rude either. We stayed in a room with king-sized bed. Room was spacious, comfy, and clean. Quiet, but it helps that the fan from the a/c, heating unit has the option to remain “on.” Large, flat screen tv.

The Average: soaps and shampoos were nothing special, breakfast bar was typical.

The Ugly: The shuttle: the driver did not assist with luggage, just stayed in the driver seat. Shuttle was timely on the way there- it took about 15 minutes from hotel to airport. However, on our return we had to wait 20 minutes for the shuttle and then drove another 25 minutes dropping of other passengers to other hotels. Total trip was 45 minutes from BWI airport to hotel; too long!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Skicatt
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I'm not a lawyer. I don't pretend to play one on TV. My lawyer advises me that the review title should not be construed as legal advice. The pool at the SpringHill Suites Marriott make it the safest hotel pool ever.

Perhaps I should start by saying the SpringHill suites was quite adequate for our little staycation from DC and I'd visit again if I ever had occasion. It is close to BWI airport and Arundel Mills mall.

The pool is a nice differentiator from the Residence Inn and Hampden Inn across the road (which are both closer to the mall). Despite the fact that the pool was a bit cold it was great for a family swim with two small children.

You should plan your trip to the pool accordingly as it is only open when a life guard is present. The pool is only 10 x 15 ft and no more than 4 ft deep. There is also a hot tub.

The lifeguard has access to several flotation safety devices, stretcher with neck brace, portable electronic defibrallator, and probably air-evac ambulance to either UM Medical Center or the Johns Hopkins Hospital.

- The pool is nice (if a touch cold), safe, and good for kiddies.
- The rooms were nice, clean, and had useful features like couch (converted to bed), micro wave, and mini refrigerators.
- The hotel serves complimentary breakfast that I have to say was more than adequate for a family of four. It isn't a 5 star brunch but it does the trick for a family on the go.
- There is free internet computer access in the lobby (and I believe the rooms as well). This is a nice touch as many hotels try to add this utility on as a fee. Here it is free.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Int_Bus_Travel
Reviewed 5 July 2008

This hotel is easy to access being just off Hwy 100 and Arundel Mills Blvd. This was a fairly new property and was very nice and well maintained. The breakfast was typical of the chain and well stocked and clean. Our room was spacious, well maintained and very clean. Everything we expect from Springhill Suites. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank coastermeister
Reviewed 24 June 2008

This is a very unorganized and "shady" hotel. We stayed because we were in a wedding. The Sales manager told the wedding coordinator that they were giving them a deal for $119.00 a night. However, I booked on my own for $107.00 a night through their website. Bells should have gone off then but we stayed. The first night they charged our card right away for more than our entire stay for the whole weekend. There were no sheets or pillows for the sofa bed and roll away even though I requested it upon booking on line. When we called the front desk he was VERY RUDE and had us get our own sheets but the hotel was out of all pillows. We never got the foam pillows we requested. When we opened the sheets to put on our childrens' bed, the sheets were soaking wet! The next morning we discovered through our bank that they again charged an additional $140.00. So at this point they had over $420.00 of our money for a $220.00 stay. They said this was for "incidentals." They continued to lie about this and couldn't get their story straight. Then the night of the wedding we used their shuttle to get there. The driver crashed the shuttle into the owning and ripped the siding off the country club and ripped the entire sun roof off of the shuttle. Then he didn't report it. When he returned to pick us up. The shuttle was still damaged and we had to sit there for an hour while they took pictures and exchanged insurance information. As we traveled back, the driver was completely lost and we had to give him directions back to his own hotel. The sheets, comforters, and blankets were torn and stained. Then they refunded all the money and charged for $98.00 then they refunded that and charged $219.00 and then another $79.00. The bill we received shows none of these "holds" and "charges". The Sales Manager knew nothing about the accident. The Assistant Manager didn't believe the charges because her computer "didn't show it." She then told me that my complaints were just "minor." We checked in on a Friday and now on a Tuesday I am still fighting with them. Someone needs to audit them! We travel a lot and have never had a problem like this. Take my advice.... DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank mwtravel8
Reviewed 15 June 2008

We stayed at this hotel for one night after an Orioles game. After arriving at the hotel after midnight, we were anxious to get checked in and go to bed. When we first walked in, we were impressed with the size of the room. It seemed clean and well-decorated, too. At first, it seemed like quite a bargain.

However, when I went to lie down, I noticed that my bed was soaking wet on one side. It didn't look like there was a leak or anything, so we had no idea where the water had come from. We called the front desk, and they said that someone would be up in 20 minutes, since only one person was working -- that's the fastest they could arrive.

So we waited, and the manager himself came up. We showed him the problem, but he was evasive about what might have caused it. He said it was probably the air conditioner leaking. But unless the rooms are all laid out differently (which would be odd for a cookie-cutter hotel...), the air conditioner in the room above us would have been nowhere near that wall, so how could it possibly have leaked onto my bed?

Instead of offering to switch our rooms (and the hotel was far from sold out...), he brought me a pile of new sheets (which I had to put on the bed myself) and told us to let him know if we needed anything else! We were all too tired to press the issue, so I threw the new sheets on, and tried to sleep on the non-soggy side of the bed.

I'm not usually one to complain about hotels. I generally just look for a clean place and am pleased if the people there are friendly. However, if there is a problem, I do expect it to be fixed -- or at least addressed in a suitable way! To be fair, we did get $50 taken off our bill when we spoke to the daytime manager as we checked out, but I think it could have been handled much better.

It's a new hotel, so maybe they still have some kinks to iron out. But based on my experience, I couldn't really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family