“Beautiful B & B! Awesome stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spencer-Silver Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havre de Grace
Spencer-Silver Mansion
nj
“Beautiful B & B! Awesome stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We have wanted to stay at the Spencer Silver Mansion B & B ever since we saw it several years ago on a day trip to Havre de Grace to do some antiquing. Finally we had the chance this week! The unusual outside beauty of the house itself had us intrigued, but when we stepped inside, it was like stepping back in time. The house itself is filled with gorgeous woodwork including pocket doors, beautiful paneling and trim, built-in cabinetry and a massive staircase. There are wood floors, amazing period furniture everywhere, interesting lamps, stained glass windows, lovely quilts and (seemingly) sky-high ceilings. The gardens outside were wonderful as well, and we had our choice of a hammock, glider or Adirondack chairs in which to relax. Our hostess, Carol, greeted us warmly when we arrived and gave us a tour of the house as well as some history. There were homemade chocolate chip cookies and coffee & tea to snack on if we wanted. Breakfast in the morning was delicious..Carol accommodated my husband's food allergies and prepared us a wonderful egg dish with sausage on the side, as well as our choice of juices, fresh fruit, muffins and coffee or tea. There were also hard boiled eggs, cold cereals and yogurt on the table, too, if we wanted any of those things. We thought the price was very reasonable for such beautiful rooms and a very filling breakfast. We will definitely go back and would like to treat our daughters to a stay there in the future as well.

Room Tip: Every room upstairs was beautiful. Several rooms have private baths and 2 share a bath, so it depend...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank j2sr4p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have stayed here over two weekends on two separate visits--once in June and another in July, 2013. Having grown up in Harford County, back when Havre de Grace was a fairly rundown and neglected town, it is really heartening to see how this town, once considered as a location for the nation's capitol (DC won out!) is increasingly a preservation and renewal model, with old houses repurposed as bed and breakfasts and the hardware and clothes stores I remember now coffee and home furnishings/art galleries, with quite a few antique and decoy shops and even a day spa too. Yet there are still the reminders of old Havre de Grace, with the 80-year old Goll's Bakery still open at 7:15 a.m. each day and its pies, eclairs, and donuts baked fresh daily showcased in the bakery's window on Washington Street.

Carol, the owner and innkeeper of Spencer-Silver, has been around town for the past 20 years or so, and was one of the early restoration pioneers. She restored this Richardsonian-styled, stone-clad Victorian in high style, with period furnishings and art that makes you think it is still the 1890s.. From the Bradbury wallpaper to the etched-glass, brass chandeliers to the swag drapes to the shiny banisters and newell posts in the main staircase, the Mansion transports you back to another era, and that is a great part of the charm of staying here. The wide, fern-lined verandah is a perfect perch to take in the slower pace of this town, which, up and down Union Avenue, contains many fine Victorian and Federal-style homes, some in various states of disrepair but quite a few very well refurbished. From Union Avenue, it's a short walk to the shops and restaurants along Washington Street, and then a block further, you're on the banks of the Susquehanna River. At the far end of town, where the river empties into the Chesapeake Bay, you can find the Concord Lighthouse and the nearby decoy and maritime museums, as well as a meandering promenade where you can spot herons, ducks, seagulls and from the signage, learn about Havre de Grace's pivotal role in the War of 1812, as well as its early history way back in the 1600s when Captain John Smith noted it in his surveys.

There are some good restaurants (Laurrapin, La Cucina, Tidewater Grille, the Vineyard Wine Bar) a few blocks from the Mansion.

During my last stay, I and a friend went to the Marinas at Havre de Grace Marine Center, which just began to offer kayak and paddleboard rentals. We rented kayaks for a couple of hours and paddled around the nearly 200-acre Garrett Island in the middle of the Susquehanna River, spotting lots of blue heron and getting great views of the four bridges (two railroad, two highway) that cross the river here. Great time. When I got back to the Iris Room, where i have stayed on both visits, I really appreciated a soak in its whripool tub, perfect after a Kayak adventure.

Breakfasts here are fine (not gourmet but good), though the coffee could really use a better brew. So-so coffee aside, this place is a total delight and a trip back in time well worth taking.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cyclistmike
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I have stayed twice now in the Carriage House and I absolutely love it! I have yet to go in the summer but I can tell you that in the colder months it is a perfect cozy get away with good heating and a charming fireplace and very comfortable furniture.
Carol is the best host. She is funny and quirky and incredibly attentive. I wish she was my aunt! And the breakfast she makes for me is fantastic!
I love the vintage decor of the whole house and I think every room is beautifully done!
I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed at the Carriage House exclusively while doing business in the Havre de Grace area in 1997-98 (Not Aug. 2012). Stayed from Sunday night to Thursday night every week for over 6 months. Sure beats any hotel! Have been wanting to go back but haven't had the opportunity. Great people, excellent service, just a great relaxing place. If you travel on business and are fed up of hotels try Spencer-Silver!

Room Tip: The Carriage House, quaint and private.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Havre de Grace, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

The Spencer Silver Mansion of Havre de Grace, Maryland is simply the best place to stay. Warm and cozy. This beautiful town by the bay is brimming with history from its role in the war of 1812 to the growth of decoy carving as a local art.
The town also boasts many fine restaurants, interesting antique and specialty shops and waterfront activities. The Mansion is located in the heart of the historic district just a few blocks from the Concord lighthouse, Havre de Grace Decoy Museum and the Susquehanna Museum. A waterfront promenade gives visitors a breathtaking view of the Chesapeake Bay, Susquehanna State Park and the attractions of Baltimore, Wilmington and Lancaster are just a short drive away. Your host Carol Nemeth will be happy to help guide your visit to include the attractions of interest to you and provide information about the numerous events occuring in the area at all times of the year. Annual events include the Decoy Shows, Fourth of July Celebration, Seafood Festival, Art Show and Christmas Candlelight Tour.

Room Tip: This is a must place to stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

The house is a real treasure, filled with antiques. Carolyn, the owner is practically a legend in the town. Everyone seemed to know her and had nothing but kind words. She was very friendly and prepared a very nice breakfast. The next time we are in Havre de Grace this will be our first choice for accommodations.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROWoody3
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013

The entire property is very nice, the wallpaper is gorgeous and the high ceilings give a large spacious feel. Full of lots of antiques, and the garden & porch are great. Close location to things downtown, easy to walk to - Beth was very nice when we arrived. The homemade cookies are very good!

My husband & I stayed in the Garden Room. It was "OK" - I'm not a huge fan of potpourri, and it was everywhere. In fact, on one side table there were two (2) potpourri dishes. It would have been nice to have surfaces open and available to me. I wish the tables were free for my make-up, my I-Pad, my medicines. The bathroom sink had no space for anything like this. Oh, and while taking my bath - NO SOAP. I discovered this while in the tub. Luckily my husband was with me and could go into the bathroom next door and nab me some soap. Call me silly, I like soap in my bath! The A/C works, but being a window unit was so loud one couldn't have it turned on during the night and still sleep due to noise, and opening the windows was very difficult. But my biggest issue were the pillows - hard, thin, foam pillows. My neck is still in pain after trying to sleep on a thin, hard piece of foam. I don't usually take my pillows from home with me, but after last night I will, LESSON LEARNED. Mattress is a little long in the tooth as there is a noticeable droop in the center.

Room Tip: this room has it's own private bathroom. The two rooms in the front of the property are larger b...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kelly M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Havre de Grace
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen
Days Inn Perryville
Days Inn Perryville
#1 of 2 in Perryville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)
Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen - Chesapeake House
Home2 Suites by Hilton Baltimore Aberdeen
Vandiver Inn
Vandiver Inn
#1 of 4 in Havre de Grace

Been to Spencer-Silver Mansion? Share your experiences!