“Excellent bed and breakfast experience”

The Victorian Candle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I recently traveled with my family for a wedding in Southern Maryland. We occupied the entire bed and breakfast. Susan and Jim Dexter were most accommodating and the food was both tasty and plentiful. The owners were very happy to satisfy our needs during our stay. I would definitely recommend the Victorian Candle to those traveling in Southern Maryland.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Victorian Candle

Reviewed 21 March 2011

Cozy place located just outside of town. The owner personally made breakfast every morning. This guy must of spent some of his career cooking. The rooms were clean and at a price cheaper than most hotels in the area. The owners went out of their way to make the one week stay the most it could be. I will def. return when in the area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2010

All the rooms were in the basement and not very warm and inviting. The outer layer of safety glass on our outside door had been shattered. The guy didn't even bother to sweep it up until we we actually carry our bags in the door! Result: broken glass bits in our room, a safety hazard, and not a good first impression.

The outside was dump, junk all over the porch, from broken bikes and filthy coolers to blackened grills. Even a junk car in the driveway.

Breakfast was cooked by one person (serving 4) and about 45 minutes later than scheduled, plus he got our orders mixed up. There was a box of dusty brochures by the front door announcing things to see and do in the area. The only trouble was they were 3 years old.

Checking in took an hour because their computers were down and they made us write all our details on scraps of paper. This was after they ambled around looking for the paper scraps.

I accidentally left my nightgown behind and it took them 6 weeks to send it back to me. I kept calling and leaving messages but adult son and hubby said they'd have the lady of the house get back to me. She never returned my calls; I happen to catch her at home after call #5. She promised she would mail the nightgown back that weekend. She had been really busy at work (she had another job) and couldn't get to it sooner. Well, 3 weeks later it arrived. Apparently neither hubby nor adult son was capable of going to the post office.

In all, very unorganized, inefficient, and unprofessional. Hand your money over to the local motel instead.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lunariver
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Our room had the ambiance of a garage. I understand there aren't many hotels in this area, but I'd probably not stay here again...and I'd probably prefer the Super8 in Lexington Park. No value for money with the Vic Candle.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank edk1234
Reviewed 25 July 2009

My wife and I just needed to get away for a couple of days. We had not been to this part of Maryland and so I got online and saw this place and decided to make a reservation. It did not have any reviews on this site or any others that i could find, but it was where we wanted to go and looked nice. The accomodations are first class! Rooms are clean, large and comfortable. The rest of the facilities are just great. Breakfast was wonderful all three morning we were there. The Dexters are so nice and friendly! They made us feel right at home. If you want a nice place to stay and a great breakfast, this is the place! I would come back in a heart-beat!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
#1 of 1 in Chesapeake Beach
Island Inn and Suites
Island Inn and Suites
#1 of 1 in Piney Point
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)

Been to The Victorian Candle? Share your experiences!