“Great weekend stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Holland, PA
“Great weekend stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

My extended family and friends had the pleasure of staying at the Victorian Candle Inn while traveling for a wedding. Susan and Jim were most gracious and warm hosts and all the guests enjoyed the visit. We were able to gather there after the wedding and even enjoyed some spontaneous singing with Susan's son and granddaughter. All in all, it was a perfect place for us and added special memories to a great family event. The owners are very good-hearted, hard-working people. Food is homemade, fresh and plentiful. The common rooms are very spacious with beautiful wood floors and the bedrooms are also spacious, clean and comfortable. I would say the property could use some landscaping, but otherwise a lovely spot. We were counting our blessings for choosing this place to gather.

TB

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Delaware, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

Initially my cousin had informed me that The Victorian Candle would be the closest accommodation for out of town wedding guests. I was apprehensive about the whole thing, being from out of town, not knowing the area, and also because I thought that B&B's were very expensive and I probably wouldn't be able afford this. I was pleasantly surprised when I found my way to the off-the-beaten track location. The majestic inn stood so stately upon the hill. I drove up and was greeted by one of the children of the inn-keepers. It only got better from there. I was led into the house and found my own packet of wedding, travel, & location information left for me by my cousin. I checked in. The inn was beautiful! the wooden floors shined magnificently. The decor was tasteful--and of course Victorian!! Every room welcomed all who entered. The Victorian furniture in the parlor was beautiful. The evening after the wedding was the best! The children of Jim and Susan are incredibly talented and provided a wonderful evening of sing-along songs and other performances. I'm not a late night person, but I could not make myself leave the wonderful time that we were all having. The night finally came to an end, and we all retreated to our separate rooms. What a comfortable room and what a great night sleep I got in that queen sized bed. I had no worries of bedbugs, like I have when I go to most hotels nowadays. The bathroom was immaculate, the bed linens were inviting and comforting. The television was in great working order (which was nice during our down time). In the morning, the dining room table was large enough to host the entire John-boy Walton family, and accommodated all of my extended family and I. The breakfast was delicious and delightful. Jim entertained us all. The entire experience was a joy. And most of all, I was pleasantly surprised that such luxury and joy was so affordable. My sincerest appreciation to the entire, talented family of Jim and Susan. I really had a great time and would stay there any time I am in the area. Definitely worth the trip! VC

Room Tip: Get there early and scope out the best location for you!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Harrisonville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Please, please pick somewhere else. My Husband and I were looking for a quick getaway, and decided to stay at the Victorian Candle based on its reviews. WHAT A MISTAKE. To Start with we called ahead to see if they have anything available, we were told yes and that reservations would not be necessary. Upon arrival the front door was locked I knocked and called again the owner said he was there and 10 min. later came to the door. He then took me in to the dining room to fill out paper work. Up to this point things were going splendidly. He then took me in to the basement which was not clean hair and dirt on the steps ect., but the place was quite and it was mid day so I thought maybe the cleaning crew just hadn’t made it to the basement yet. He then took me to the room and showed me how to work the key pad door which he check twice to make sure it worked explaining that they change the lock codes once and month and that they were just changed. (Glad I came when I did, I was still concerned enough to use the dead bolt) At this point I inquired about breakfast and was told that it would be served in the dining room at 9:00 am , he asked if I had plans and I explained that we would need to be leaving at 10:30am to catch a charter boat. He stated that we would have plenty of time. When we got unpacked I wanted a shower to wash off the day at Calvert Cliffs Beach the shower had hairs in it, a large hole in the wall, did not drain well and did not get as hot as I would have liked. The toilet ran all night and had to be held to flush. The bed was stiff and there were hairs under the pillow. The hot tub was not filled with water. There was no ice to be found in the entire place. If you have a question there is no one there working to answer it. The next morning at 8:50 I made my way up stairs where a number of guessed were gathering in the dining room. My husband packed the car and moved it around front then joined us, at 9:15 there was still no food out so I walked to the kitchen and asked if it would be much longer. I was told it was coming out now. At 9:48 there was still no food to be seen and the owner brought out plates saying it would be a few more min. However we did not have a few more min and had to leave. I was upset to say the least but we had to leave or we would miss the boat. After getting home I wrote to the owner and have yet to receive any reply. Please pick one of the dozen other lovely B&B in the area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mnmills_99
Annapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband surprised me with a night away from our little ones and this was a perfect spot. Excellent hospitality and the breakfast was wonderful. A definite high recommendation!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Chardon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Adorable bed and breakfast, very reasonable rates. The breakfast was very tasty and the owners made us feel very comfortable. Clean and well maintained. Worth every penny!!! Will stay here again and suggested it to other family members.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed in the Victorian Candle during December 2011 and found it was a lovely place to stay. The host was very hospitable and friendly, the accomodation was very clean and comfortable and overall I enjoyed my stay. The breakfast offered was a great way to start the day.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Clinton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

We discovered this wonderful place last year and returned this year because it was so friendly and quaint. The hosts Susan and Jim are so warm and congenial. If you enjoy eating, this is the place for you! Susan's excellent and creative cooking is a real high point. The very generous breakfast was delicious, very fresh and made to order. The rooms are lovely, clean and spacious. It was just perfect for our needs. We hope to return there next year when we visit southern Maryland. At The Victorian Candle, you have it all: great price/value, scrumptious food, friendly hosts, cozy rooms and wonderful local seafood restaurants.

Room Tip: Many amenities in every room.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Piney Point
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
#1 of 9 in Lexington Park

Been to The Victorian Candle? Share your experiences!