“Very nice B&B conveniently located near the wedding we attended.”

The Victorian Candle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hollywood B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at this place when we recently attended a wedding. We had forgotten to inform them that we are vegan but called on our way. They did their best to accommodate us on short notice and were quite gracious hosts. Price is sort of par for the course with this sort of thing. The best thing was that it was five minutes away from the wedding. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 29 May 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here as for a long weekend in St. Mary's County. The room was very big, and we really appreciated the private entrance. There were minor imperfections in paint, but nothing that decreased the value for us. My boyfriend had breakfast both days, and I had it the 2nd day we were there, and it was amazing. Everything was homemade and absolutely wonderful! Chocolate chip waffles...so good.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eenapooh
Reviewed 23 April 2013

The Victorian Candle in Hollywood, Maryland, is a delightful place to use as your headquarters when visiting St. Mary's County. The rooms are well appointed, with separate entrances and a place to park your car right outside. The breakfast is fabulous!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2013

The hospitality was warm and inviting. This is a beautiful bed n breakfast. The owners are very friendly and caring, and have very interesting and fascinating stories to share about the history of their bed and breakfast. The breakfast was huge and home cooked and delicious to top it off. Will def. go back again. ~Dawn D. and Danny B.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This is a wonderful place to spend the weekend! The Dexters are delightful people who go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and at home. My husband and I were married in the area a couple of weeks ago and my mother rented out the entire B&B for my side of the wedding party. We arrived on Friday evening and even though they're check-in time isn't until 4 they let us come in two hours early so that we could get situated, showered and changed before the rehearsal. That night they set up a screen and projector for us to have girl-time and a little something that my maid of honor had arranged. The next morning, before we all got ready for the ceremony, we had the most delicous breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, blueberry pancakes and french toast. They had a piano we were allowed to play. Almost every room had an outside entrance so that we were able to come and go as we pleased without disturbing the Dexters. The house was beautiful and clean! the tubs were enormous! the beds were comfortable. There are large flat screen tvs in every bedroom. And there is a delightful two-floor Bridal suite that felt secluded from the rest of the house (which my husband and i appreciated). We had a WONDERFUL experience and my husband and i have every intention of returning with regularity. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Dexter for a wonderful and unexpected element to our wedding weekend!

Room Tip: I saw them all, and they were all great! but if you're looking for a little more privacy, opt fo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We originally booked for two nights and a few weeks later realized we could only stay for one night and I called to cancel the additional night, at least three weeks in advance, well ahead of their cancellation deadline. When I called, the owner (Susan) could not figure out how to use their online booking engine to cancel my reservation. She called me back later to tell me that the extra night had been cancelled.

When we arrived, she was nowhere to be found. Her husband Jim checked us in and cooked breakfast in the morning. When we checked in we were down for two nights but he only charged us for one when we told him we had cancelled the other. Despite this, after we left Susan charged us for the extra night later and called me to say we hadn't ever cancelled the room and we had violated their cancellation policy. This despite the fact that there was only one other room occupied in the house from what we could tell. When I emphatically reminded her of our original conversation she said she would reverse the charge. She has not done this and I have had to dispute the charge with my CC company.

It should also be said that the house is really more of a hotel than a B&B. There are so many rooms that it feels more like a hotel room with the homey touches one finds in a traditional B&B. The rooms are clean though. The breakfast was very basic, edible but certainly nothing special. I would never stay here again, even if you paid me to.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aggienmmi2
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We decided to do the Patuxent Wine Trail so we wanted to stay somewhere close so we have never stayed at a B&B before so this looked like the best opportunity. I saw The Victorian Candle and looked at all of the rooms and wasn't sure how I would enjoy staying "in the house" so we decided to go with The Penthouse room which is connected but the door was on the outside. I must say the house is large and beautiful on the outside. I agree with another reviewer, they could use some landscaping. The guy that checked us in was really nice BUT there are things that could have been better.

When he took us to our room, we walk in the door and it's a small foyer area which could have been swept. Walking up the stairs the walls had marks going all the way up. The living room was decent, it had a small loveseat type couch and a flatscreen tv. There was also a mini-fridge and a sink right there which was convenient. Around the corner was the bathroom which was the biggest disappointment of all time. The towel rack had apparently been broken and no one had taken the time to fix it yet. The tissue holder was coming off the wall and the bathtub could have been cleaned as well as well as updating the shower curtain to something appealing to the eye and not just a yellow curtain.

In the upstairs there is the bed and another TV which was convenient for us and it was nice and cool up there. The bed was large enough and comfortable and the pillows were good.

The next morning we head over to the main house for breakfast. Yes, the door was locked, but I'm sure it's because no one had left or even opened the door yet. When we arrived the door was unlocked so we had no issues getting in. We were told 9am for dinner and they were a few minutes late but that was ok because we were talking with the other guests. The food was very tasty and plentiful.

Overall it was just an OK experience but we wouldn't stay there again. We went to a place called the Tiki Bar on Solomon's Island and if we would have known, we would have found a place closer to there because it had a decent night life.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaPaMa24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Island Inn and Suites
Island Inn and Suites
#1 of 1 in Piney Point
Comfort Inn & Suites Lexington Park

Been to The Victorian Candle? Share your experiences!