The Victorian Candle
QualityInn
US$143
US$146
TownePlace Suites
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We, along with four friends, visited Southern Maryland (Solomon's Island) and stayed at this B&B.

Coincidentally, it was our 48th anniversary which was thoroughly enjoyed. Adding to the

enjoyment was the proprietor's personality and exuberant manner. The rooms were great and the

breakfasts excellent. A great visit to St. Mary's County from those of us from Baltimore County.

Room Tip: All the rooms on the lower level of this large and interesting house are very good selections.
Reviewed 27 November 2013

What I loved most about my stay was the owner, Susan. Upon arrival we couldn't get over the wonderful smells from the kitchen. She was hosting a dinner party and invited us to come grab a plate of food later in the evening if we were hungry (we had dinner plans or we gladly would have). We mentioned to her that we would not be able to attend breakfast since we had to leave early, and she told us she would get up early and cook us up something.

We stayed in the Penthouse Suite which had a private outdoor entrance and two floors. It was clean and quiet, with a tv and a full bath.

The breakfast was delicious. She used her homemade spices in a sausage and egg scramble, and served it with waffles, and various meats. She let us try her smoked turkey and one bite was enough to convince us to buy one for Thanksgiving!

Overall, the room was clean and spacious, nothing special. The quality of the food and hospitality was outstanding and that is what will bring me back in the future! My only complaint is that the coffee was terrible (I'm a coffee snob!).

Room Tip: Penthouse Suite has a private outdoor entrance.
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Really enjoyed our time at the Victorian Candle. Our penthouse suite was quite cozy and private, and the breakfast was superb. Enjoyed chatting with the proprietor, Susan. Conveniently located for exploring southern Maryland.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Victorian Candle B&B as a weekend getaway for our 25th anniversary. The house is absolutely gorgeous, relatively new (built in early 2000's) and very comfortable. We stayed in the Rose Room on the bottom floor and we had our own private entrance (all rooms have a private entrance). The room was nicely sized & had all modern furnishings. The bed was comfortable, the sitting/TV area was spacious and the bathroom was neat and clean. They had cable TV and wifi. The breakfasts were great! Susan (the owner) cooked all the breakfasts and served more food than we could eat. She served waffles, french toast, pancakes (blueberry and plain) omelets, sausage, bacon and fruit. Coffee, teas, juices also. It felt like being a member of the family. The house is in a nice location off the beaten path but close enough to the areas we wanted to visit. It was reasonably priced. We would not hesitate to stay there again!

Room Tip: Try to get a room one room in from the end of the house if the sound of AC/Heat Pump units is bothersome to you.
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I picked this B&B on a whim. It turned out to be a very rewarding experience. I had the entire place to myself as I stayed during the week. The room was clean and spacious, with a separate outside entrance. The food was excellent! My hostess Sharon was charming and engaging! I will definitely add this spot to my favorite vacation places!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo