“Never Again”

Quality Suites Hunt Valley
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Check your credit card billing at check out and check it again on receipt of statement. Staff does not REALLY comprehend English well. Hotel in disrepair. I will never book this hotel again and advise anyone traveling to the area for the April Dog Shows to avoid it.

Room Tip: Police were phoned to remove 25 belligerent and foul talking women in the room next to ours. Many s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sandy M
Alda P, Manager at Quality Suites Hunt Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2015

I regret to discover that you weren't thoroughly impressed with us during your most recent stay. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. It is through feedback like yours that we are able to quickly address housekeeping, maintenance, and staff courtesy issues, and I thank you for taking the time to share this experience.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding and we had a block of 10 rooms. Upon initial arrival, we were looking for our friends vehicles and found the parking lot in poor condition with construction that appeared not to have been touched in over a month. When we checked in there was a woman arguing over a "weekly" rate and our check in was delayed due to her issue. Our friends that checked in behind us were asked to pay a rate over twice than the negotiated rate for the block. The bride and groom reserved a King room and were asked to take a 2 queen room.
The rooms are actually in separate buildings. Each building appears to have 8 rooms.
The rooms interiors appeared to be recently renovated and nice on first appearance. Quickly poor workmanship and old shower tubs and fixtures became obvious. Since this is an extended stay type of hotel, the rooms were outfitted with a full kitchen. The ice maker in the freezer did not work.
Our room had venetian blinds but no curtains. There were no doors on the closets. The security device on the front door was barely attached to the door to be a security device. There is a mechanical room off of the kitchen that we could hear things running all night long.
There was a hot breakfast available in the lobby in the morning. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs and a thin round meat product, that several of us questioned it's origin. There were bagels, muffins and cold cereal, but no fruit of any kind except juice.
When we first walked through the complex, I noticed several exterior rat poison boxes. While we were packing the car to leave I saw several rats which ran underneath of the concrete foundations of the buildings.
Since this is an extended stay type of location, there seem to be countless "regular" residents. Many of which were "hanging out" on the various staircases, many of which were smoking. We felt like we had gone to an inner city hotel rather than an upscale area like Hunt Valley.
If you are "stuck" taking a room here, make sure you empty and lock your car.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Russell L
Alda P, Manager at Quality Suites Hunt Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. All of your concerns will be addressed with the hotel staff as well as hotel ownership. I ask that you give us an opportunity to make things right. Please come see us again in the future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Quality Suites after visiting Washington DC and on our way to Atlantic City for the next day. I stayed at this property about two years ago when it was still the Chase Suites and enjoyed the property. We actually drove out of the way to come to the Quality Suites based on our last visit. The property has significantly gone down hill since it changed ownership.

I arrived around 6 pm and checked in. I couldn’t park by lobby as a large bus was parked by it and made parking difficult. When I checked in, I mentioned my hotels.com request for a second floor room and was told they are sold out and only had the room I was assigned available on first floor. I was very annoyed as I made my reservation over a month in advance. Guess all the long term guests are taking the balcony rooms.

When we arrived at our room, we were horribly disappointed because it was not only a first floor room, but faced the dead end part of the parking lot and our patio door was right next to a side walk where people are constantly walking by. On our way to room, we saw large dug up sections of pavement/concrete causing large ruts in parking lot which was difficult to drive over. As we settled into our room, we had to close all blinds as people walking by would go right up to the glass and look into our room, making us extremely uncomfortable. So we couldn’t have any natural light as guests were constantly walking by and looking into our room. We also worried someone would hit our car as people would drive down the dead end and have to turn around in very little space. This was room 1011 and I recommend avoiding it. The room itself was a good size with a full kitchen although barely any plates or cups and the “clean” dishes appeared dirty so we didn’t use any of it. I went to use the coffee maker and it was full of dust so I had to clean it to use it. I did like the mini moos provided although they should be in the fridge. There was a fire place but it was useless as there was no way to actually use it (no wood or tools). The A/C worked okay but it never really got as cold as we would have liked. The room booklet advertised 37 inch tv’s but ours was likely a 28 inch. The room likely was renovated as there was granite counter tops but the carpet had several burn holes despite being a “smoke free property”. We found at least a half dozen bugs in our room including two in the sheets during our 1 night stay. My girlfriend debated sleeping in the car as she didn’t feel comfortable.

Speaking of the bed, I was thinking it seemed small (queen) and looked at my hotels.com reservation online. I came to find out, I had reserved a KING room suite and was given a QUEEN room suite. I attempted to call front desk but BOTH phones in room didn’t even work, awesome! I called Hotels.com and mentioned how I was given a room that was less expensive than what I reserved and PAID EXTRA FOR. The rep called the hotel while I was on hold and after 5 minutes, the rep returned and said the hotel refused to do anything about giving me the wrong room that was cheaper than what I reserved, and refused to give me any compensation for their mistake. When I book a king room I expect to get a King room, not a queen. Hotels.com was able to give me a discount for a future hotel stay. I was extremely disappointed the hotel refused to do anything to rectify there mistake. DON’T offer rooms that aren’t available and then give a guest a different less expensive room that is terrible customer service! Kind of defeats the point of making a RESERVATION.

So while we stayed in our uncomfortable room, with our shades shut to have some privacy, we were very annoyed and started to look around. We found more bugs, the crown molding was horribly done, the patio door didn’t even open which was annoying, and found more cigarette burn holes in the sheets! So carpeting and sheets have burn holes in a smoke free property.

Another issue is this place has “long term” guests who are often drunk and arguing in parking lots. We witnessed a couple loudly swearing and yelling at each other while we were getting items from our car. There are constantly people standing around on the property giving little sense of security. The man who didn’t speak English in room above us would ash his cigarette on top of us as we stood near our door. The property itself is in dire need of landscaping and looks pretty run down. Of course, landscapers decide to start working RIGHT NEXT TO OUR ROOM AT 9AM the following morning, loudly digging and trimming RIGHT NEXT TO OUR ROOM. Great way to wake up. Oh, and at 7 AM I woke up to numerous kids and adults yelling in the parking lot, again right by our room. The bed was somewhat comfortable but only 3 pillows was annoying. Needless to say we didn’t sleep very well.

Also while outside, we saw a huge raccoon come out of a trash can about 20 feet in front of us and run up the stairs towards another guest room. So being outside was also very uncomfortable.

After a terrible nights sleep after being woken up numerous times from noise outside and from what seemed like an elephant above us, I took a shower and was greeted with reasonable water pressure but a non adjustable shower head, despite an advertisement in the room claiming all Quality Inn hotels have adjustable shower heads. I made it through ½ of my shower before the hot water completely disappeared and had to finish by taking a cold shower. My girlfriend was unable to shower due to no hot water… Could things get any worse? YES!!

I figured the breakfast would perhaps be okay and was I wrong! Breakfast ends at 9:30 according to front desk worker, yet I arrive about 10 minutes past 9 AM and there is a tiny bit of nasty scrambled eggs and some plain cut potatoes. There was nothing else, only orange juice for drinking, apple juice was empty. There was no Danish, bread, cereal, bagels, ANYTHING!!! Just a couple of potatoes and some nasty eggs. I didn’t think my stay could get any worse and yet it did! Horrible Breakfast and an insult to all other Quality Inn hotels across the country.

Another issue was the amount of bugs in the area. Any time we would leave our room, we would be swarmed by bees and wasps.

So while we pack our things, we are interrupted by housekeeping asking if we are done before check out time. No we aren’t done! When I go to check out, there are more workers working on landscaping out front of lobby. Why spend money on this if you have horrible customer service skills? I enter lobby to check out and wait 10 minutes for an employee to appear, same guy who checked me in, and I check out without being asked how my stay was. Luckily I was so tired I didn’t give him an earful of how horrible our stay was. I would NEVER EVER stay here again and I am so upset I went out of my way to stay at this dump which needs new management, as the newer owners have no idea what they are doing. Don’t take a reservation for rooms when you don’t have them available. Isn’t that hotel management basics?!?!?

While the price was reasonable, especially for the room that we got but paid more for, the hotel is a dump and doesn't deserve anyone's business. This place is horrible and should be avoided at all costs.

Room Tip: Go some where else!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mike M

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your feedback will be used to make improvements. I am sorry to hear that you would not stay here again. Your business is greatly appreciated. I hope that you will reconsider and give us another chance.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I was only staying one night and checked in late. The whole setup of the door to your room facing a dirty parking lot and chain link fence was concern enough, but I rushed into my room and just locked the door. First thing I realized after changing into my pajamas was that the remote didn't work and hadn't in a while.(Picture attached). Oh well, I just watch a show on a link from the Internet...nope Internet not working. I'll call the front desk to ask...nope, when I tried the front desk,the call wouldn't go through. With no desire to dress and walk in the dark, I just went to bed. Woke up in the AM to take a shower and after wetting the washcloth I thankfully looked at it first to realize it was loaded with pubic hair. (Photo attached) After dry heaving and air drying since I didn't trust another towel, I decided to look more closely at the rest of the room. Horrified, I realized the condition of the bed I just slept on. (Photos attached) I left and planned to complain at the ft desk but when I got there, the guy at the counter didn't even ask and I could tell would have cared less, extremely rude.There was a free "breakfast" of stale looking Danish and cereal that looked 100 years old and I wouldn't have trusted it anyway. Couldn't wait to get away. By far the worst hotel I ever stayed in, a visit from the department of Health is needed.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank pw220
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

I can easily say this was the worst hotel I've ever been to. It's a garden style motel/apartment set up. The first room stunk of cigarettes. The second room was in the back of the complex. While acceptably clean, it wasn't supplied with anything. It had a coffee maker and a couple packers of coffee but no cups! No soap or shampoo. It only had like a quarter roll of toilette paper. When asked for these things to be supplied the front desk refused, telling me to walk up there to retrieve them. That is like 50 yards away!

Anyway, it also seemed like there may be people actually living here. I witnessed a domestic dispute and some sketchy characters.

If I wasn't going to check out in the morning and if it weren't late at night I would be going to another hotel!

What a dump!

Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Monakamo
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This place is certainly no Hyatt Regency, but it's not a total dump either. Rooms are spacious and clean despite being somewhat shabby. Kitchens are not very well stocked - just a couple of plates, glasses and miscellaneous cutlery - no pots or pans, no sponges or cleaning supplies, and we had to ask the front desk for dishwashing detergent after we used the one "pod" we were issued at check-in. Heater in room works fine but sounds like a 747 taking off in your room. Breakfast was adequate and unremarkable, breakfast room looked neat & clean.
We chose this place initially because it is pet friendly.
A spacious, if basic room and breakfast at an affordable price (we booked in at less than $80/night. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank CapeCodda62
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Thankfully my experience wasn't as bad as the reviews I just read below. Perhaps they finally did some work?

We stayed just one night for a nearby wedding. The staff was friendly and even had a shuttle to and from the wedding venue which was nice.

The rooms are spacious and affordable. The air quality isn't the greatest, I'm guessing because pets are allowed, but they seemed clean otherwise. All rooms are suites from what I understand (ours had a kitchenette and living/sitting area plus large bathroom), and I do like the layout - it feels more home-y than like a motel.

That being said, some people have clearly made this hotel home. We encountered some interesting characters on property and also found it hard to sleep as another resident pet barked for hours into the early morning. When someone in our party complained, the front desk told her it was a nurse guest working an overnight shift who just left her dog alone in the room. Nice.

One huge complaint - we called for extra pillows - each bed had two very thin pillows plus a throw pillow. The man told us extra pillows were not available and to use what was in our closet - which was one pillow when there were 2 beds and 4 people in the room (not to mention the room could sleep 6 with the pull out sofa!)

Breakfast was your typical continental hotel breakfast. No need to complain as it was the typical fare.

Overall, I wouldn't vacation here, but it served our purposes well for a one night visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley
Delta Hotels Baltimore Hunt Valley
Extended Stay America - Baltimore - Timonium
Extended Stay America - Baltimor...
#1 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium
Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley
3 mi away
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North - Timonium
Red Roof PLUS+ Baltimore North -...
#2 of 2 in Lutherville Timonium

Been to Quality Suites Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!