“This was better as a Comfort Inn”

Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
Baltimore, Maryland
“This was better as a Comfort Inn”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I've stayed at this hotel for several years, through three brand changes. We come up in the area for the Shore Leave science fiction convention every summer.

The good: Breakfast was by far the best I've had through any iteration of this hotel.

The bad: We arrived early on Friday. I've never had an issue getting checked in early. This time, I was informed that it was too early to check in, and we should come back later. The guy didn't even bother to look us up in the computer, see if maybe they had some King rooms open. Nope, just "come back later".

So we checked in later. Free bottled water isn't much of a Priority Member perk when I can get a whole case of it for $4 at Food Lion. Checking in when I arrived between 12:30 and 1pm, that would have been nice.

Saturday evening, we returned very late from the convention, around 3AM. The back door from the upper parking garage was locked. So we had to go around the front. The front, rather than having a keycard reader, had a buzzer. We buzzed. The guy working the night desk looked really annoyed that we bothered him, buzzed us in, and didn't say one word to us as we walked to the elevators.

Parking at this hotel is a challenge, because the location just doesn't allow for much of a lot. This weekend, there was a small flatbed truck parked diagonally in the corner of the upper lot and a camper taking up 4 whole spaces along the side. Really?

I really like staying at this property because of the location. However, the rudeness of the staff gives me pause about coming back here, because I haven't had any issues like this when it was a Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn. We never had to wait to check in, and we certainly never had to play games to get inside after coming in late. This property isn't in a high crime area, so I question the need to inconvenience guests by forcing them to play musical doors at 3AM.

Also, I hear that Holiday Inn Express typically forces to you pay your entire bill upfront when booking online. That didn't happen to me this time, as I booked when the hotel was between brands, but I assure you, if I'm prompted to do so when making plans for next year's Shore Leave I'll be staying somewhere else. I've never had to pay for a hotel up-front, and I'm not about to start.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side away from York Road. Otherwise, the traffic noise will wake you up in the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen C
Andrew P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Good day. First and foremost I would like to apologize for any negative interactions you had with our staff. Certainly we do not condone the type of interacation you described in your comments. I am confident in our ability to exceed your expectations not only in service but as a product and brand during your next trip to Hunt Valley and we hope to see you then!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We were in for a Lax tournament so it was a busy weekend for the hotel. Wanda at check-in was friendly and helpful. Room was clean, nice decor, very small bathroom. No pool. Breakfast was stocked regularly, they were well staffed for the amount of people at breakfast. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EdPuodziunas
NJ
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed this past week for several days. I was met by very friendly and helpful desk staff. I was handed an ice cold water bottle upon my arrival (last week was a heat wave and being a Priority club member it was a welcome touch!) The lobby smelled clean, and upon entering my room, I was very pleased. This hotel was recently redone and they did a great job. I read before that is was another name/chain before it was a Holiday Inn. My experience was a very clean, well appointed room and comfy bed and pillows (they label the outer pillowcase so you know which is soft, medium or firm.) There was even an iron and ironing board which was great. The TV was a nice big one. Breakfast was was a good selection of cereals, yogurts and various style eggs were available each morning. I forgot my toothbrush and was given one right away. The ONLY thing I could say could be done differently, is the toilet paper is hung on the wall opposite the toilet so it was a little reach. I will stay here again next year when I return for the same sporting event and will recommend this to others traveling there as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LakesMomNJ
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. There was a sporting event and there many teenagers staying at the hotel. I don't know if that is why, but there was no hot water to shower. There are convenience stores across the street.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrew P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
On behalf of the Holiday Inn Express I would like to apologize for any inconvinence you may have had with your shower water temp. We are confident that this was an unfortunate isolated incident as we have not had issues regarding hot water at our hotel. Again, my sincerest apologies for any inconvinence this caused you, and hope you return to our hotel during future visit's to Hunt Valley as I am confident in our ability to exceed your expectations!
Pennsylvania USA
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Substantially less expensive than other hotels nearby. Recently renovated and a job well done. Bathrooms on the small side but nice amenities and plenty of soft towels. All rooms with two double beds face the front/road side of hotel so bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. Included breakfast more than adequate. New York Times and others free in lobby. Blackout curtain is underneath sheer curtain and easy to miss. Very good value!

Room Tip: If you don't need two double beds you can get a room in the back that will be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lorraine235
Mechanicville, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed for a weekend - 2 adults and 3 kids in one room. The reservation was messed up (did not have any rooms left with 2 doubles although we had reserved that) BUT the front desk staff were very nice. They got us set up in a room that worked out and brought the price down. The room was small but recently renovated and really felt clean. The phone in our room was not working properly - I tried to call the front desk and they could not hear me but within a few minutes a maintenance man was at our door to address the issue and when I told him I had called to ask for towels he immediately went and retrieved towels for us. The free breakfast was definitely every bit as good as any other free breakfast that I have had in a hotel.
Noise was not a problem at all and the King bed in our room was quite comfortable.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Janet_Eileen_4
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2013

So, I am currently staying here - June 11 and 12. If I could check out, I would; however I prepaid via Priceline. Thus, I am stuck.
This is perhaps the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in many. Apparently it was a Comfort Inn until fairly recently and is located on York Rd. in Hunt Valley. The location is good in that it is near many restaurants and shops.
The room and the bathroom are extremely small; smaller than the rooms in boutique hotels in Manhattan. In order to close the bathroom door, you have to squeeze yourself sideways in between the toilet and the tri-cornered angled sink. The armoire doors open into the side of the bed.
The desk is located next to the wall/window AC unit; if you have the air on, the fan blows directly on you as you are trying to work.
We could not open the window because the screen is torn and is flapping around in the breeze like a flag.
There was a “leak” in the ceiling of the lobby; so when you enter the hotel it is all covered in plastic tarp.
There is no AC in the lobby or the Breakfast area. I asked!
There is no business center in which to print something.
The breakfast was very pre-fabricated and not that great compared with other chains. The Breakfast attendant though was very nice!
There must be NO sound proofing in the outer walls/windows and you can hear all the traffic, sirens, etc. A VERY loud room.
There is no pool.
Anyway, if you have to come to this area, stay at the Embassy Suites – we couldn’t as it was booked solid.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Cathy N
Andrew P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
We are sorry to hear our accommdations did not meet your needs while staying with us here in Hunt Valley. We are aware of items you mentioned and are in the process of addressing. Our breakfast room expansion is nearing completion which will include a business center. Our A/C is tied into the expansion but once completed we will have this feature throughout the public space. Unforseen occurances may arise at times such as the leak in the lobby which we are addressing appropriately and in a timely manner. I do apologize that this specific issue occurred while you were with us but am confident it is a blip on the radar and not a trend here at our hotel. Your comments and feedback are always appreciated as we strive to provide the best service and accommadations possible. We would love the chance to meet and exceed your expectations next time you're in the area.

Travellers are raving about these Hunt Valley hotels

Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!