“Not What I Expected”

Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express with my wife and my daughter on Saturday night, November 23rd. I booked a room for 3 adults through Hotwire.com the night before our arrival. Upon arriving, we were greeted by a very courteous and friendly staff member, Jamal. Our room was to be on the seventh floor, where, Jamal explained, that a party that took up the rest of the floor, had the potential to get noisy and that we might not have a good night’s sleep up there. The rest of the rooms in the hotel, which can accommodate 3 adults were already taken with the exception of a room on the second floor, which had just a king size bed. At this point I asked if I could get a refund and I would go somewhere else, but because I booked through Hotwire, this was not an option.

We asked if we could get a rollaway and our request was honored and brought up to the room within 5 minutes. The room was very small, the rollaway just fitting into the only available space in the room. The heater was on the noisy side. Everything else in the room was fine. There were plenty of toiletries, towels, etc. Internet access from the room was easy to get. I slept ok, my wife’s sleep was disturbed several times by people coming in through the back door of the hotel. The room we were in, room 212, sits directly above this hotel entrance. My daughter didn’t sleep well at all on the rollaway. Perhaps it was because she was close to the door. The room itself did not seem to be very well insulated for sound as one could here voices, footsteps, etc., from the hallway and adjacent rooms.

The hot breakfast was just as the property said it would be. Eggs, sausage, pancakes, fruits, buns, breads, juices, cereal all were available. And it was all good. The dining area was large and had plenty of available seating.

As we were there just to get a good night’s sleep before getting back on the road the following morning, we did not take advantage of any of the amenities that this establishment offered.

Because the staff probably saved us from a potentially sleepless night and did the best they could to accommodate us under the circumstances, I would rate them as excellent. However, because the room we did decide to take didn’t really meet up to our expectations, I would rate the room a bit below average, hence my overall rating of just average. Should we find ourselves in the area again, I would most likely choose a different property to stay the night, however I would stay at this Holiday Inn Express if that’s all that was available in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TheSimpleTraveler
Andrew P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear you didn't find our rooms to your satisfaction! We greatly appreciate your feedback and will work diligently to address your concerns. I am glad Jamal and the rest of our staff were able to make your stay as comfortable as possible and sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations during your next trip to the area!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley

Reviewed 26 November 2013

A typical Holiday Inn Express, which is intended as compliment, this chain has consistently high standards. Not a new hotel but recently refurbished. All the usual facilities and one of the best breakfast spreads we've encountered. No pool, however. Free wi-fi, large flat screen TV, microwave and fridge in the room. Quiet air conditioner. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful. Plenty of free parking spaces. Several good restaurants in the immediate area. The rooms at the rear are quiet. No public transit on York Road but the Baltimore Light Rail line to downtown has a station about ten minutes walk away on Schiller Road.

Room Tip: Others have commented on traffic noise in the front rooms, so ask for a room at the rear.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jocripps
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My first impression:  Same as other reviewers, this Holiday Inn appears to be a refurbished older hotel, and it shows in spots. Outside looks like it had a been repainted and freshened up. The lobby is very simple, but looks dated, though. Elevators also felt old and dark.

The heavy metal doors are the reminders of the original hotel.  Noisey room doors that squeezed and clanked, and voices easily penetrate into the room from the hallway.  Bathrooms were updated nicely with bright taps, new tub with shower, and furnishings.  The room's furniture and paint look fairly fresh and modern.  Carpet was in very good shape too.  There was a queen-size pullout sofa bed.  Large flat screen tv, microwave and mid-sized refrig.  Nice sized wardrobe with iron and ironing board, and a small office desk.  King bed was firm with extra long pillows, and modern headboard with ample lights, but the bedding lacked crispness.  Room was average size with a single window.

We stayed on the top floor, but there was a low humming constantly in our room, so we changed.  Definitely, there was traffic noise at the front of the hotel, but our room was at the back which was quieter, with the exception of occasional barking dogs from the Hunt Valley Animal Hospital right beside the hotel.

Breakfast was complimentary in a nice lounge area on the first floor.  It was actually pretty good with: hot and cold drinks, cereal, bagels, muffins, yummy cinnamon buns, self-serve pancakes, biscuits and gravy (nice), scrambled eggs and sausage, yogurt, and fruit.  No complaints here.

Well, it was overall worth the 5000 Hilton points per night.  But, there are other options for a hotel within very short driving distance, choose wisely. Basically, this was a good average hotel.  Free wireless - the way it should be! Employees were very helpful.  And, oh yes, complimentary bottled water and snacks for Platinum members, of course.

Room Tip: Room towards the back, not on 7th floor though
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaoBlue
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear LaoBlue,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I appreciate your compliments regarding our breakfast and staff. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the shortfalls you have encountered. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Arrived at 2am after riding 8 hrs. Front desk was great and helpful. Parking garage made it very easy to return to my car and get something without going outside. Breakfast was great and breakfast attendant was really helpful and was super with my little girl and the pancake machine. Very clean, comfortable, and a great stopover during our drive!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mackenzie S
Andrew P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words about our staff and hotel! We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you back during your next trip to Hunt Valley!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

From the front desk staff, to the maid Barbara, everyone went out of their way to be friendly and accommodating. This was so far and above the Crowne Plaza in Timonium it put it to shame! Great breakfast, covered parking, immaculately clean room. Bravo HI Express! Look forward to my next stay with you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Sherry E
Andrew P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words about our property! We are delighted to hear you had a great stay with us and can't wait for you to return!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice this fall. Both times we were please with how clean the hotel was. I will warn you that behind the hotel is a dog kennel and it could get noisy if you are staying on a lower floor. Both times we stayed it was on the top floor, 7th and we weren't really bothered by the dogs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Mary_Kay1965
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in order to attend a memorial service for a friend that was being held in Sparks. The location was convenient to the memorial service location, and it's closes to a number of restaurants and fast food choices. We had a king room, which was small (just enough room to get around the bed) but obviously recently updated. The bathroom was also small, and you couldn't shut the door until you were all the way in it. The toilet paper holder, as others have noted, was behind the door; you kind of had to stretch to reach it if you were sitting on the toilet. The room was very clean, there were plenty of towels, and the choice of toiletries was good. I doubt I'll need to visit the area again, but would recommend this hotel.

Adon (spelling?) at the front desk was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!