“Nice Stay”

Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
Reviewed 1 April 2009

The King room I had was very nice and comfortable. Yes, I noticed some black and red bugs -- the same as I have at home. No big deal. NOT like it was roach-infested as an earlier review implied. But I have a few comments:

1. Comparatively, very poor value for the money because a) breakfast is NOT included (Super8 or even Hampton comes with a continental breakfast included for LESS money per night) and b) no refrigerator in the room (every Super8 and Best Western comes with one in the room -- so I can store my own cold drinks or fruit, or other food).

2. Small breakfast area in the lobby with table service. Choose either the breakfast buffet for $9.95, continental breakfast buffet for $7.95 or a la carte. I chose a la carte having cereal and fruit one day and bagel with fruit another day. Compared to other hotels, while the buffet seemed priced comparatively, the a la carte was decently priced (about $5 per day including a glass of orange juice).

3. I wanted a QUIET room (I hate traffic noise and garbage trucks that come at 5 am; plus I am a light sleeper). While my room on the parking lot (near I-83) was relatively quiet, I noticed after the first night that the rooms across the hall were on a courtyard, thus away from traffic noise. I would have preferred one of those rooms. Additionally, the early morning "slap" of the daily newspaper hitting the floor was not needed. Why can't hotels just supply the newspaper at the front desk for customers to pickup?

4. The heat was constantly on, cycling between heating and then cooling. This dries out a small room quite quickly creating sinus problems while sleeping. The heating system should work like a residential system: heat to the desired temp then TURN OFF. While I have seen other systems continually blow heat, this is the first one which then cycled to cooling. This seemed like an extra drain and waste of energy.

5. Because I am environmentally conscious, on longer stays I have no problem re-using towels for three or four days. I was glad to see a sign posted on the toilet that, in theory, the hotel supports. I was conscious to hang up my towels each day, but arrived back to my room later each night to find new towels. I guess I should have left a note for the staff, but customers like me never know which language to put it in. Besides, if there was already a sign on the toilet to conserve the environment yet the housing staff were not following that ... what good would my note have done?

6. Don't know what was going on with the toilets, but I was unable for four days -- until the last morning -- to actually get it to flush completely. I tried holding down the lever for various amounts of time to no avail. And, I had no time to inform staff as my business meetings started at 8am each day and continued to 7pm -- by the end of the day, I had no energy to try to get the toilet figured out.

7. The pool and whirlpool were not working, which is one of the things I looked forward to. They both had some kind of blanket in them and when I asked someone who said he was staff, he said they were not working and I did not see anyone using the pool despite a full hotel.

8. If you're looking for the hairdryer you won't believe where they put it: in the closet (opposite the mirror/sink). Don't know why they didn't put it on the wall by the mirror/sink where it would be more useful.

9. BEWARE: Review the bill carefully! I reviewed the bill that was put under my door on my last night. Stuck in the middle was a charge for "Market Foods" for $2.99 plus a separate line item for its tax (there was no food/drinks in the room; they were in an area in the lobby). I called down to the front desk to inquire and they said they would take it off. (I don't know how it got on there, but I did bring from home a 25oz bottled water -- which I had marked with my name and date -- which was thrown away one day while I was at a meeting -- NOTE: don't bring your own). Anyway, after I had breakfast in the lobby restaurant, I went to check out and a SECOND time mentioned the charge coming off. I was handed the bill and I put it in my purse before attending the final all-day meeting. When I got home that night, I looked at the bill and noticed the charge was still there. So, from home, I had to call a THIRD time to have it removed. (NOTE: I have checked my credit card bill and it was actually removed.)

Hotels should require guests to swipe their room keys like a charge card when billing items to a room. People do not remember correctly their room numbers and this happens to me at every hotel which just requires a guest's signature.

While I enjoyed my stay and would probably stay again, as well as recommend the hotel, there are just a few things that could be improved upon. It's always the little things...

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank CUTripping

Reviewed 1 March 2009

I normally stay at the Marriott Conference Center when I go to visit my daughter who attends a local college. Due to the fact that the Marriott Conference Center was booked for the weekend I stayed across the street at the Courtyard. Upon entering the lobby I was greeted by a very nice person behind the desk. We were given a room on the first floor. The room was spacious with two queen size beds. The bathroom tub could have been a little bit cleaner for my liking. There was a small refrigerator and computer access via ehternet is complimentary for a day. We went to the hot tub and the pool and it was sufficient for us to take a quick dip and spend a few minutes in the hot tub. The tv has some channels and you have option of renting a movie that is currently still in the movie theatre. There is a small market in the lobby area where you can purchase different kinds of snacks, wine and beer. We did not stay for breakfast but there is a buffet for breakfast. The accomodations were sufficient for what I needed but next time I probably will return across the street,

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank db16
Reviewed 23 October 2008

I have stayed at this hotel a few times over the past 2 years when traveling for business in the area.

The last time I was there, the bed had a real wooden board between the mattresses, to support a worn out mattress that they should have replaced, I guess. I should have, but I didn't complain.

This time I got to my room late (after 7:00) in the evening. I noticed a few bugs in the room. At first, I thought it was cockroaches. I killed a few but it was dark and I was tired so went to sleep, careful to keep all of my belongings with me on the bed.

The next morning I work up and opened up the curtains to look out the window. I found hundreds of these critters on the curtains, in the window, between the sliding glass doors and on the balcony. Most were dead but a good number of them (greater than 30) were alive. I had killed at least 5 of them earlier in my room before the sun came up.

I called the front desk to complain and they simply told me, yes they knew there were bugs and that they had just sprayed (which explained the strange odor in my room). I took all my belongings with me in my rental car for to my business meetings that day.

When I returned that evening. I killed 5 more bugs within the first 10 minutes of my return. I called the front desk and asked for a room change. They moved me 5 rooms down the hall. I encountered a few more dead bugs along the way in the hallway.

The man who brought me to my new room told me they are beetles and every day they spray and every morning he watches them climb up the side of the building. (like it was no big deal). Throughout the evening I kept hearing vacuuming. I assumed they were cleaning up more bugs.

That evening I called the desk to arrange for a cab to meet me at the nearby car rental company. I was returning my rental car and needed the cab to take me to my final destination. They told me that they couldn't make cab arrangements the day before and they would make the arrangements in the morning.

I called the desk that morning to confirm the cab arrangements. They said the cab was set to pick me up at the hotel. I told them that I needed the cab to pick me up at the car rental place because I was returning my car. The woman at the front desk told me to have the cab follow me to the car rental place and wait for me to return my car. Outrageous. Like I should have to pay for the cab to follow me and wait for me? When I asked her to change the cab reservation to as I had requested she told me to do it myself.

Between the rude service and the infestation of bugs and because of the wealth of hotels in this area. I will not be staying at this Courtyard Marriott again.

• Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank One_Tra_verse_ing
Reviewed 8 August 2008

I have been staying in this area on business a few times over the last five years. Although the Courtyard is my preference, this place is not what it used to be. I used to have the feeling that I could not wait to get back to the hotel and relax after a long workday, but now it is just another hotel.

First, for the good things: separate sleeping quarters, living room, fridge, microwave, desk, free internet connection, clean bathrooms, clean carpet, clean linens, two TV's, morning paper, fast/video checkout and plenty of parking.

Now for the problems: the A/C. It is very hot there in June and these suites used to have two separate heavy duty old school A/C units that would pump Artic air throughout the rooms making a nice comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. Courtyard now ruined that by putting in themostats with false readings. I check in and the room was an oven showing 75 degrees. So I put the thermostat on 65 to cool it down. A large bucket of ice would have cooled the room faster. It would then show the room temp at 65 degrees and shut of...but it was not even close to it. The 2nd thermostat showed 71 degrees in the room but was not pumping much cold air. By the way, these things happen to be triggered by a motion sensor, so if you leave to go to the store for the room to cool it won't happen. Got no sleep because it was way too hot. I wish they would bring back the old units that you can just turn on "high cool" and be comfortable.

The beds are not very comfortable. They are more like sleeping on foam than a mattress. Pillows are not that great either. The bathroom door and toilet are too close together so you have to close the bathroom door from the side. Shower drains were slow to get the water down and the bathtub itself didn't feel like it was glued to the floor to well. Everytime I lifted my foot up and back down I felt the snap of the plastic.

Not sure if I would go here again during the summer but maybe the winter time. There is a shopping center close by with an Outback and many others. You can actually walk to these points but it may be a bit long in the extreme heat or extreme cold. Very close to the highway so this place is easy to get to. Staff is always very friendly and accomodating. Place does not have a bar which is a drawback.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank No_Roaches_Please
Reviewed 20 July 2008

This is a nice clean alternative to the full service Marriott across the highway. My friend and I attended a convention in the area, and the convention hotel was sold out. The only food service is the breakfast buffet. For lunch or dinner one has to visit the mall restaurants.

If you have a car, it's no problem. We had to walk. It's not that far, but there are few pedestrian crossings in the area. The room was clean, nothing broken or missing. The front desk staff was very friendly and coordinated the shuttle with the other Marriott to get guests to and from the convention.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank sedonababe
Reviewed 26 December 2007

The Courtyard Hunt Valley is located in a commercial area with tons of office buildings and townhouse development across the street. They just finished installing a sidewalk along International Circle along which you can walk to the Hunt Valley Towne Centre (which has tons of restaurants and a huge Wegmans grocery store), as well as the Hunt Valley Light Rail Station (which has convenient service to Baltimore).

In most aspects, the Courtyard is a step below the Marriott Hunt Valley Inn. There is a restaurant on site for breakfast only (for which they charge $8 for a continental breakfast (basically cereal and breads only), and $10 for a breakfast buffet (which includes French toast/waffles/etc.)). There's also a very small fitness room, which has two treadmills and a stationary bicycle, as well as a few free weights.

Beyond that, there aren't many more amenities. The staff were friendly, and the rooms were clean, so if that's all you seek in a hotel, then you should be satisfied here.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank snowman83
Reviewed 14 October 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Couryard Marriott in Hunt Valley for a wedding the first weekend in October. The hotel is in a great location right off of I-83 and very easy to find. It is also located right down from a big shopping area with a fabulous grocery store, Wegmans and lots of name band stores.

Check-In was a breeze. Check in is at 3:00pm. We arrived at 1:30pm and our room was ready and we were albe to check right in. We were on the 1st floor. The hotel is very spread out, however they have many entry locations closer to the rooms so you are able to park down by the entry and enter closer to your room.

Our room was clean and adequate. We were sharing with another couple and there was plenty of room for all of us. Bathroom arrangement was nice. The shower and toilet were in one area with a door and the sink and counter was outside. It was nice with all of us getting ready to have seperate areas.

We were out late for the wedding and slept later into the morning so we did not take advantage of the free breakfast in the morning, but they have an area in the lobby where you can buy juices and water etc. That was nice to have around 11am. What was even better was that many chain hotels we have stayed in have maid service knocking first thing in the morning. Maid service did not bother us and we were able to stay in our room and get ready and check out with out a bother. Check out was at noon and was also just as easy. They prepare a bill for you and you can just leave the keys in your room. Or we went to the desk and had them split the charges. They were very accomodating.

We would def stay at this Marriott again and reccomentd it to others.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Radisson Hotel North Baltimore
Holiday Inn Timonium
Holiday Inn Timonium
#2 of 3 in Timonium

Been to Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!