“Nicer than we'd expected - Great Service”

Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hunt Valley
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I was in town with colleagues for business, and arrived late in the evening during a terrible rain storm. The hotel is in the middle of a weird area - a maze of huge parking lots and a smattering of tall buildings, so my guess is the majority of their guests are business travelers. It's one of those areas that you bet used to be a farming/rural area, and they plopped down some industry in the middle of it.

While the neighborhood is not all that welcoming, the hotel itself is very nice and we were pleasantly surprised. Welcoming lobby and common areas. Rooms were nicely decorated, beds comfy, bathrooms clean. Wireless internet worked well, too. We only ate one meal there - breakfast one morning, and it was very good. Friendly wait staff also. We didn't use the gym or pool but they both looked well kept. Oh, and they had free hot cocoa in the lobby in nice silver urns which we really enjoyed - just a nice touch.

We were most appreciative of the service, a rare find these days. On our way to the hotel from the train station, our cab driver nearly killed us a few times. So we had him just pull over and leave us on the side of the highway with our luggage in the pouring rain and rush hour. We called the hotel and they came to get us immediately, even tho we didn't even really know where we were and had given them a vague location.

A member of our group also lost a memory stick in their guest room and the staff offered to buy a new one to replace it without hesitation.

There's also a new outdoor mall across the street with great restaurants - Hunt Valley Town Centre. I say it's across the street but with all the weird parking lots, it's not exactly safe or easy to walk there -- but the hotel offers a shuttle to the mall and to area businesses as well. We ate at a fantastic steak place at the mall called Greystone Grill.

Overall, we were pleasantly surprised and would stay there again if in town on business.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank EilisRyan

Reviewed 17 January 2010

This Marriott Courtyard is not as nice as most Courtyards we've stayed at. We used it for an overnight in our travels, but we probably wouldn‘t stay here if in the area again. It wasn't awful; it's just that it has some age on it and needs renovating.

It looks like only the carpets and bed linens have been updated. The rooms were certainly clean. However, furniture and curtains in the rooms should be freshened up. Tables were quite nicked, and the general feel of the decor seems really tired. Hallways were dimly lit. The bed seemed uncomfortable, and I usually don't take note of that.

This Courtyard does, however, have some pluses. The front desk person was VERY pleasant and welcoming. There is free wired internet in each room. In the lobby they offer tea, coffee, and hot chocolate during the evening hours. Parking is no problem, and there is a big shopping center nearby as well as light rail into the city of Baltimore.

Bottom line: it's okay but there are other hotels in the Hunt Valley area. I’d choose one of those hotels on a return visit.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PatRemA
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I am a Marriott Rewards Platinum member and I have stayed several nights at Courtyards throughout the US. This hotel is an average Courtyard in comparison of the other Courtyards that I have stayed at. I stayed for five nights.

Value: At $ 99.00 (which included breakfast) plus taxes per night was a very good value.

Location: The location of the hotel was very good for me based upon my itinerary for my trip. There is a mall that is down the road from the hotel. It took 35 minutes to drive from the BWI Car Rental center to the hotel (non-rush hour).

Front Desk Service: I have to give the front desk a good mark in regards to service.

Room: I had a room on the second floor. The size of the room is the same size of the other ‘standard’ Courtyard rooms. I had plenty of space in my room.

Room Desk: It has the standard Courtyard desk and chair. Unlike the desk chair at the room that I had at the Embassy Suite which had worn materials in the shape of threads hanging from the back of the chair, the chair at the Courtyard was in very good condition.

Refrigerator: There was a refrigerator in the room.

TV: The TV was old…it wasn’t a flat screen…but it did have audio ports to attach digital cameras or digital camcorders.

Bed: It was very comfortable.

Breakfast - Food: The breakfast selection and quality of the food for breakfast at was good during my visit.

Breakfast – Service: The service ranged from average to good. During the week, the breakfast starts at 6:30 AM…I wish that it started at 6:00 AM. My only negative about the service is the failure to get the bill\check in a timely fashion. A few years, a new policy was implemented at Courtyards where the bill\check is given to the guest within minutes after sitting down. Every day, I had to ask for my check.

Parking: There was plenty of parking.

AC\Heat: Unlike the Embassy Suite where the unit made a large sounding noise that woke me up every time that it came on, the AC/Heat in the Courtyard didn’t make a noise.

Elevators: The elevators at the hotel were very fast unlike the slow elevators at the Embassy Suite.

The next time that I am back, I will make another reservation at the Courtyard.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank ArizonaRoadWarrior
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I'm a Marriott frequent stayer, but I hadn't been to this one. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple of times before when I was here. I think this hotel is slightly better.

Both my coworker and I were given suites. I don't know if all the rooms are like this, but this was great. Included: Living room with couch, coffee table, two matching chairs; desk and desk chair; separate bedroom with king bed; a tv in each room; microwave, mini fridge; a bathroom that didn't have a loud fan (no fan, which I like), consistent AC (with a controller in each room). I had a first floor, courtyard-side room. Sat on the little porch of my room each night. Didn't have to deal with the super slow Embassy elevators.

The Embassy definitely has a better breakfast (free and extensive), although the Marriott did fine with selection, and the servers were helpful, attentive and nice. The Embassy also has that great manager's reception in the evening, and the Marriott has nothing like that.

Anyway, the two hotels are pretty even, but I think I'd stay at the Marriott again over the Embassy, given a choice.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank GHillTraveler
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Stayed for an sports tournament. Good location next to upscale strip mall so very easy to buy food, etc. Stayed on lower floor and didn't hear much noise from around us which was really good. Overall a really good value for the money including the breakfast which was included with our weekend package as a rewards member. Only complaint was promptly handled and that was the overwhelming air freshener, sickly sweet. really triggered sinuses. Advantage was sliding glass door which allowed us to air it out rather quickly but it must have been on one of those annoying timers. Pool area was clean, staff was very professional and helpful, workout room could use a little updating for those of us who must workout for health issues.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank eastcoastgirlforever
Reviewed 9 May 2009

The room was nice, looked as if it had been recently renovated, in an older establishment. Front desk crew were very friendly. Only a few complaints:
1. Internet did not work the entire first day (at best, would connect after 10min only to the Marriott logon site). No wireless available.
2. The towels are for masochists only. Thinnest most abrasive towels I've ever seen in a hotel.
3. No fans on the bathroom. Seems to be a Courtyard trait. Thus mirror always fogged after showing.

Other than that, no complaints. Still, for $5 more a night (and another $10 for internet if you need it but it's wireless and works), I'd stay down the street at the Embassy which has much larger nicer rooms, a nicer overall environment, better towels, bathroom fans (although noisy), and a free extremely nice breakfast buffet!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank pullthetab
Reviewed 1 April 2009

The King room I had was very nice and comfortable. Yes, I noticed some black and red bugs -- the same as I have at home. No big deal. NOT like it was roach-infested as an earlier review implied. But I have a few comments:

1. Comparatively, very poor value for the money because a) breakfast is NOT included (Super8 or even Hampton comes with a continental breakfast included for LESS money per night) and b) no refrigerator in the room (every Super8 and Best Western comes with one in the room -- so I can store my own cold drinks or fruit, or other food).

2. Small breakfast area in the lobby with table service. Choose either the breakfast buffet for $9.95, continental breakfast buffet for $7.95 or a la carte. I chose a la carte having cereal and fruit one day and bagel with fruit another day. Compared to other hotels, while the buffet seemed priced comparatively, the a la carte was decently priced (about $5 per day including a glass of orange juice).

3. I wanted a QUIET room (I hate traffic noise and garbage trucks that come at 5 am; plus I am a light sleeper). While my room on the parking lot (near I-83) was relatively quiet, I noticed after the first night that the rooms across the hall were on a courtyard, thus away from traffic noise. I would have preferred one of those rooms. Additionally, the early morning "slap" of the daily newspaper hitting the floor was not needed. Why can't hotels just supply the newspaper at the front desk for customers to pickup?

4. The heat was constantly on, cycling between heating and then cooling. This dries out a small room quite quickly creating sinus problems while sleeping. The heating system should work like a residential system: heat to the desired temp then TURN OFF. While I have seen other systems continually blow heat, this is the first one which then cycled to cooling. This seemed like an extra drain and waste of energy.

5. Because I am environmentally conscious, on longer stays I have no problem re-using towels for three or four days. I was glad to see a sign posted on the toilet that, in theory, the hotel supports. I was conscious to hang up my towels each day, but arrived back to my room later each night to find new towels. I guess I should have left a note for the staff, but customers like me never know which language to put it in. Besides, if there was already a sign on the toilet to conserve the environment yet the housing staff were not following that ... what good would my note have done?

6. Don't know what was going on with the toilets, but I was unable for four days -- until the last morning -- to actually get it to flush completely. I tried holding down the lever for various amounts of time to no avail. And, I had no time to inform staff as my business meetings started at 8am each day and continued to 7pm -- by the end of the day, I had no energy to try to get the toilet figured out.

7. The pool and whirlpool were not working, which is one of the things I looked forward to. They both had some kind of blanket in them and when I asked someone who said he was staff, he said they were not working and I did not see anyone using the pool despite a full hotel.

8. If you're looking for the hairdryer you won't believe where they put it: in the closet (opposite the mirror/sink). Don't know why they didn't put it on the wall by the mirror/sink where it would be more useful.

9. BEWARE: Review the bill carefully! I reviewed the bill that was put under my door on my last night. Stuck in the middle was a charge for "Market Foods" for $2.99 plus a separate line item for its tax (there was no food/drinks in the room; they were in an area in the lobby). I called down to the front desk to inquire and they said they would take it off. (I don't know how it got on there, but I did bring from home a 25oz bottled water -- which I had marked with my name and date -- which was thrown away one day while I was at a meeting -- NOTE: don't bring your own). Anyway, after I had breakfast in the lobby restaurant, I went to check out and a SECOND time mentioned the charge coming off. I was handed the bill and I put it in my purse before attending the final all-day meeting. When I got home that night, I looked at the bill and noticed the charge was still there. So, from home, I had to call a THIRD time to have it removed. (NOTE: I have checked my credit card bill and it was actually removed.)

Hotels should require guests to swipe their room keys like a charge card when billing items to a room. People do not remember correctly their room numbers and this happens to me at every hotel which just requires a guest's signature.

While I enjoyed my stay and would probably stay again, as well as recommend the hotel, there are just a few things that could be improved upon. It's always the little things...

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hunt Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Baltimore North / Timonium
Radisson Hotel North Baltimore

Been to Courtyard Baltimore Hunt Valley? Share your experiences!