“University of Maryland-Nearby and clean”

College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hyattsville
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed at this on campus hotel for orientation and then again for move in day in August. This hotel is a Marriot but does not feel like one. It is clean and well maintained but does not have many amenities. This really was not an issue for us as we did not spend much time there but it is really just a clean nearby place to spend the night if you are visiting UMD. The hotel is right on the perimeter of the campus so you can walk to the dorms, Capital One Stadium and many other buildings but be prepared to walk. You really need a car because the hotel does not have a shuttle to take you to the campus. The walk to a dorm could be at least a mile depending on which side of campus you are visiting. We did think it was strange that there was no shuttle given the miles of campus. The hotel itself is clean and the staff is freindly but there are few amenities. The consierge lounge is not up to Marriot standards at all and there really is no place to eat. There is a Starbucks in the conference center across the outdoor courtyard and a very small restaurant. The hotel is pretty large and these eating areas are very small- really set up for conference style guests.

If you are staying here to visit your UMD student this is probably your best be given the limited hotels in the area but you will need to drive to restaurants and to the campus.

Room Tip: If your bringing your family reserve a "larger room" They have some smaller rooms too.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Thank you for taking time away from your day to write a review on our property. We love hearing from customers like you!
Because we are a conference center, I would agree with you in that both the look and feel of our property is slightly different than that of a full-service hotel, although we do have many of the same amenities (concierge lounge, restaurant, bar/lounge, business center, fitness center, etc.). Also, our property will undergo a total renovation, which will modernize the facility, between 2012 and 2014.
As you mention, it is within walking distance of the university and many of its’ buildings and facilities. Having a shuttle that goes to the University would be so nice for all of our guests (whether traveling for business or pleasure); we are working on this and hopefully when you return, a shuttle will be waiting to take you over to the University!
Again, we thank you for your comments and we hope to see you back with us very soon.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

In general the accommodations were excellent. The room was excellent in general, even if the TV service didn't include AMC so I could watch "Breaking Bad" :-)

General issues and challenges:
- If you don't have a car, dining options are essentially that available at the hotel unless one is willing to walk a mile or more on pedestrian unfriendly roads.
- No swimming pool
- One day I returned to the hotel and found the door had not been completely closed, which had to have been by the room cleaning services staff.
- The university organization that had arranged to pay for my room during my stay had arranged payment with a letter and credit card, which was as apparently required and which had been submitted about4 weeks in advance. When I checked in, they had no record of this payment arrangement. This was handled easily enough by the organization, though, but could have been an issue if my contact had not been available when I checked in.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review on our property. We are glad that you were satisfied with your room accommodations.
You are correct in your observation about the property not being within walking distance to restaurants, shopping, etc. With that being said, we do hope you enjoyed a meal or two in our Garden Restaurant or the Oracle Lounge.
Our property will undergo a total renovation beginning next year = it is possible that a pool may be included in those plans… we will keep our fingers crossed for it; like yourself, many of our guests would like to be able to relax poolside or use it for exercise.
I am discouraged by your comment of your room door not being secured. I have shared your comment with our Director of Loss Prevention and our Director of Room Operations. Please accept our apology that this happened.
The issue with the front desk not initially having the payment information for your room, I am making sure that the Front Office Manager is aware – I am happy that it did work out okay for you, however, you are correct in that it could have been a problem had your contact not been available.
Again, we thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us and we hope you already have a future visit planned with us!

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Stayed there with family on a Thursday and Friday nights. Hotel is laid out strangely, as you have to go outside of building and cross "street" to get to restaurant and bar (didn't see if there was a tunnel or anything for inclement weather). Restaurant was in smaller windowless room, so we ate dinner in bar/lounge. We had concerierge access, but our keys didn't work at first--had to trade them in. Our room was clean, but they don't leave many small towels. Bathroom lacks good ventilation. Parking was free but in structure next door--in the summer it seemed to be a hassle every time we left the structure.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
PCamp1, Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Marriott Inn and Conference Center UMUC. We value feedback from our customers and we want everyone’s experience to be a good one. It is important to receive feedback so we can make necessary improvements.

When the hotel building was added in 2004 (as you noted, we have two buildings), we did not place any food and beverage outlets in that building, nor did the designers build a connecting walkway. This was unfortunate, as it is often an inconvenience to have to walk outside when it is raining (we do provide complimentary umbrellas), too hot, snowing, etc. The good news is that our entire facility will begin a multi-year renovation in 2012. This renovation will transform the entire property, thus effecting every area you touch on in your comments.

You mention that our Garden Restaurant has no windows – one entire side is enclosed, the other side is all windows which look out onto a small garden courtyard/patio with outside seating, a small fountain, etc.; it’s unfortunate that you did not see this as it is very attractive and pretty. However, I am happy that you enjoyed our Oracle Lounge.

We hope that you can stay with us again, especially after the total renovation is completed. We know that you will see a completely different hotel and be pleasantly surprised.

Again, thank you for helping us make improvements and we hope to see you back very soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2011

1) there was banging throughout the room until 10;30pm. It sounded like a door being open, banged shut and then the latch catching. I thought it was workers during the day but then it continued. My husband doesn't like to change rooms and luckily, it didn't last 24/7 but it certainly precluded my going to sleep. That was the worse. It really irritated me.
2) 2) we were in the conference building which was like being in the secondary building. The staff cared about the affairs but not the guests.
3) 3) Soda....1st, I called and was told it was on the 3rd and 5th floors although I specified I was in the conference building. Then I also tried the basement near the fitness center. Then I called again and was told it was on the 2nd floor, in a non-air-conditioned alcove behind the stairs. It's a huge building and there is only 1 soda machine. Anyhow, it didn't work, it was 9 pm and I didn't want to walk across the courtyard and try to get someone to tell me where a soda machine was. I told my husband that trip adviser would hear about this. How can there be no place to get soda in a huge building. And there were dozens of bottles of soda being wheeled out to the affairs.
4) we went to the lounge which did not look like it had been cleaned often. The drinks were $10 each (I didn't get one) and I mentioned that we certainly weren't paying for the ambience. And condiments were near every seat--In a bar!! Not exactly what you want to see when you get a drink. Then I looked at the dessert menu and it said that the chocolate dessert was the chef's choice. I asked the waiter/bartender what the chocolate dessert was and he looked at me like I was from Mars. Then he also looked at the $20 bill my husband had like he did not know where he would get change. Then about 20-30minutes later, he brought out the dessert, said it would be on the house but my husband insisted that he tip the bartender the amount the cake (which did not taste good and which i did not finish) cost. And so, my husband left the $20 minus the amount I needed to get a oouple sodas--see the above. There was only one other person in the lounge....
9) 5) we got the cozy rooms but they were tiny...my daughter said that they should just say that it was a wall to wall bed. The main problem was the teensy bathroom.
10) Also, I had reserved the rooms about a week to 10 days before we went and then I happened to look on the reservation site the day before we left. Then , the rooms were $10/night less. Is that any way to treat someone who reserved in advance? I figure I should have looked the day we left but I didn't have enough time.
However, it was clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jordana16
PCamp1, Hotel Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. Feedback allows us to be aware of what our guests are experiencing.

You mention a “banging noise” outside of your room that went on for awhile, but don’t mention whether or not you reported it to anyone. I can understand how this could be quite annoying - I would not have liked it either! It is not something that should have been happening and if we had been made aware of it, someone from our Security department would have made sure that whoever was causing it to discontinue whatever they were doing.

In the building where your room was located we do have soda machines on the 2nd and 4th floors. As I am sure it became apparent to one of our staff members that you spoke with that you were having difficulty in locating a machine and/or getting a soft drink, they should have “gone the extra mile” and taken care of it for you. I have made sure that the Manager in that department is aware of what occurred and I do apologize.

I agree with your comment about our “cozy” rooms and the lack of space in the bathrooms. We are currently planning a renovation, scheduled to begin in 2012, and some changes to these guest rooms is on the list. We feel that our customers will be quite happy with all the changes that will be made in both buildings!

Condiments are kept available in our Oracle Lounge as we do serve food (light items) there on a regular basis.

It sounds like your overall experience here was certainly not the best. With that being said, we do hope that you would choose to stay with us again and, most importantly, that the experience you had with us does not dissuade you from choosing Marriott hotels in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

We brought a mid size group (30) to an event at the University of Maryland. Be sure and request the "new" building. My room was changed immediately when it was determined there was condensate from the air conditioner in the carpet. The sports bar food was good, the service was also good at the front desk and in food service. Remember there are very dangerous neighborhoods nearby, so don't go for a walk unless it's on campus during daylight hours.

Room Tip: Ask for room in 'newer' building.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
PCamp1, Hotel Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2011

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to write a review on our property. It is through feedback from guests that assists us in improving our overall customer service.

We are glad you enjoyed the cuisine in the Oracle Lounge. We changed our menu items in our outlets not too long ago and are pleased that we have received many good comments about the food recently – that tells us we moved in the right direction! Nice to know, as well, that you were happy with the service you received from our associates. We strive to provide the best customer service in the industry!

Regarding your comment in reference to dangerous neighborhoods, just as in any metropolitan area we suggest that our guests use good judgment when traveling at any hour of the day or evening, i.e., be aware of your surroundings, don’t draw attention to yourself, and at night stay in well lit areas.

We do have two separate buildings = the “conference center” building is older than the “hotel” building. The rooms in the Conference Center are referred to as our Cozy Rooms and sell at a lower rate than the Executive Rooms in the hotel . We are in the planning stages of a renovation project that we hope will begin in early 2012 which will update our facility considerably. We know that our customers will see a great improvement and enjoy the product.

We hope you decide to return to our property in the meanwhile. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2011

Spent two night recently when putting on a conference for our company in the conference center. I found the conference center facilities very good. But more importantly, the staff were very helpful, especially the event operations supervisor Morena Herciu, who was extremely attentive to our need, even with another event going on at the same time.

The hotel staff was another story. I found the hotel room nice enough and have no complaints about that nor the cleaning staff. But the desk staff left me cold. I arrived at 11 PM after a 8 hour drive, only to find no one at the desk. There was no bell to ring, but after standing there about 5 minutes someone came out and discovered me there. My associate had handled the room reservations and I knew they had no availability for my final night's stay, but was hopeful of getting a room should someone cancel. It was time for the University of Maryland's graduation. When I asked if they had a flag on my account so I would get a room (actually 3 of us were in this same situation), I was told that I should check back every few hours to see if a room had become available. Since I was running setup for a stay and the event for a day, I had no time to keep walking back and forth to check on this, and couldn't get them to flag my account.

They granted a one hour extension to checkout on the final day which let me skip lunch and checkout so that was helpful, but at the end of the day when we went back one last time to see if something had become available, they gave us a story of someone actually cancelling out because of a student failing to graduate--but we didn't get the room, someone else did. I can understand their difficulty of scheduling rooms with graduation, but it was the total indifference by the staff to our situation and unsympathetic attitude that left me saying "I won't be back here again."

I should point out there was one person who was helpful in trying to find rooms at another Marriott, so all the staff wasn't bad. Basically, there isn't much reason to stay here unless you are attending a conference or doing something at the University of Maryland. The hotel is right on the edge of UofM and there is nothing within walking distance. The conference center does have Starbucks(not my favorite) and a small restaurant that was rather good.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
PCamp1, Hotel Manager at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

Thank you for taking time to write a review on our property. There were several items you complimented us on and we thank you for that! Most importantly, you singled out one of our staff members, Morena. A Spirit to Serve award will be presented to Morena to provide her with appropriate recognition and accolades. I am glad that you feel that she is a great asset to our team = we feel that way too!

I am pleased that you liked our Garden Restaurant. Not too long ago, we changed our menu selections, so we are glad you enjoyed it and it was a good experience for you.

I sincerely apologize for the poor arrival experience and staff perception, when trying to extend your stay. We were apparently sold out for the evening you needed, due to the university’s graduation (which is always a busy time for us) and were not able to accommodate you. Please know that I have shared your comments with our operations team and your concerns have been addressed.

Again, thank you very much for all your feedback, and we hope you return to the Marriott Inn and Conference Center UMUC in the near future

Reviewed 14 May 2011

This was my second trip to this hotel on the campus of UMD. Though the rooms each time were clean, they were poorly designed. For my most recent stay, we were in a room so large that it seemed to be missing some furniture. Yet there was nowhere for my daughter and me to put stuff we needed access to (toiletries, meds, etc.). The bathroom was small, with 6 inches of counter space on one side of the sink, and no space on the other. The desk was too small to hold both sets of belongings and a computer; the table near the armchair was only a bit larger than the base of the lamp, and could barely hold two bottles of water. There was a very small cabinet where it would have been nice to find a mini-fridge (and if we'd stayed at a Hilton, we would have); but inside were two small shelves instead.

So we had to perch our stuff all over the place, which was awkward, but we could have put up with it for one night. The service ranged from unimpressive to incompetent. I wanted to pay with Marriott gift cards, and told the desk clerk so at check-in. She said they'd have to take care of it at checkout, which, for us, was before 6 AM. This was inconvenient because it meant making time to talk to the desk clerk instead of just calling the front desk to check out. Unfortunately, the desk clerk didn't have the slightest idea of how to credit the cards. He simply told me my cards were "declined" and shrugged when I said they'd told me the day before that I could use them at checkout.

He pointed out the 1-800 number on the back of the card for gift card questions, but I'd just spent 10 minutes trying to get what I'd already paid Marriott for and didn't have time for the call center. I later learned that the 1-800 gift card number is only answered during office hours, anyway; when I called it, the rep said that there was no indication that an attempt had been made to use my cards at this hotel. Inconvenient AND incompetent.

I also later learned that this hotel has a concierge lounge. As a Marriott Gold Elite member, I'm supposed to have access to this lounge for breakfast and/or snacks - yet no clerk ever made mention of the lounge to me. The more often I stay at Marriott, the less meaningful my "rewards" membership becomes. $209 plus tax was way too much for what we received here.

Room Tip: request room in new building
  • Stayed: May 2011
1Patty1, Executive Assistant at College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2011

I am responding to the Review you were kind enough to post on TripAdvisor in reference to our property. It is through constructive feedback from customers, such as you, that will assist us in improving our overall customer service.

The staff at the Marriott Inn and Conference Center UMUC would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at the hotel. Our goal with Marriott is to meet and exceed each and every guest expectations, and in the case we failed to meet yours.

Our property will begin a renovation in 2012 and we believe this will address some of the issues you had with the hotel rooms. We cannot tell what days of the week your stay was, but want to mention that per Marriott policy, the Concierge Lounge is open Monday - Friday and not on the weekend (you mentioned not having access during your stay).

We have shared your comments with our operations team and your concerns have been addressed. Again, thank you very much for your feedback, and we hope your experience at the Marriott Inn and Conference Center UMUC does not dissuade you from staying with Marriott in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyattsville
The Hotel at the University of Maryland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites College Park-University Area
Best Western Plus College Park Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Hampton Inn - College Park
Hampton Inn - College Park
#3 of 12 in College Park

Been to College Park Marriott Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!