“Best Onion Rings ... Ever”

Franklin's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 137 Restaurants in Hyattsville
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Bel Air, Maryland
“Best Onion Rings ... Ever”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Didn't get a chance to sample the beer, but the food was very good and staff was great. I had a burger and fries - great burger, nothing special about the fries. But the onion rings were incredible. They were HUGE (the waitress said that they looked more like hoola-hoops than onion rings). Batter-dipped rings sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning (used on MD steamed crabs). Just outstanding onion rings, huge and not at all greasy. Will definitely go back!

• Visited November 2013

Kings Park, New York
“Fun and Fine Food”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This was a find. We were looking for good burgers after a football game. The shop attached to the restaurant is worth the trip. But as it turned out the burgers and beer were great. Will go again next time we are in town.

Ohio
“Good food, good beer”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My husband, son and I went here for dinner on a Monday night. Surprised how busy it was for a Monday, but we were seated quickly. Service was efficient, food and beer were very good. Plenty of paid parking (although I'm not sure how that would change on a weekend night). Two things that bothered me: the bathrooms were upstairs and at the back of the building and the noise level was deafening. Desserts were delicious, we ordered two and split them three ways. We had the carrot cake and something with the name Vesuvious in it which was one of the best chocolate desserts I've ever had. The front of the General Store was a children's paradise and the back was for adults. My husband was like a kid in a candy shop shopping for local beers. Definitely will be back.

Maryland
“disappointed”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I like this place and I'll be back again, but today failed to meet expectations. The hostess was friendly and we were seated right away. The server was very friendly and capable--answering questions and responding to requests quickly. The soup of the day was flavorful, hot, and a decent serving. Unfortunately, I ordered a sausage platter that arrived slightly more than room temp while a side order of Franklins fries (thick cut) was also cool to the touch and just a little warmer in the center. I am perplexed why the food wasn't hot because the server had just checked and said it would be right out. My wife's meal was steaming hot and her shoestring fries were fine. It hasn't been like this before, but I'll be curious on my next visit to discover if this is a fluke or a new direction.

A beer sampler here can be had for the entire lineup which consisted of 10 beers today, Some are better than others, but there is plenty of variety including a few really creative experiments. It remains one of the best micro-brewery pubs in the suburban DC area.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fun and delicious”
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We visited Franklins for a weekend lunch. We were seated right away and the service was prompt and friendly for the duration of our visit. The food was pretty good- the crabcake was packed full of tasty crabmeat and our sandwiches/burgers were not overwhelmed by too much bun as sometimes happens when restaurants want their food to seem more substantial. At 1/3 of a pound, the Franklin's signature burger was substantial enough! The cole slaw was the best I've ever had at a casual dining spot. The only thing keeping me from a higher rating was the floor was in pretty bad shape at the time of our visit- I nearly slipped on a pepperoni on my way to the restroom! The attached "general store" was fun to browse after our meal- we walked away with $40 worth of stuff we didn't really need, but at least we have some cute souvenirs from our visit to Franklins!

• Visited August 2013