“Lovely place to visit and taste”

Distillery Lane Ciderworks
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Jefferson
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I visited with several friends and we all had a great time and really enjoyed the ciders. They have produced around 17 varieties. some may not be still available. If you think of cider as the sweet juice or like the bottled mass-marketed overly sweet or overly sharp drinks you will learn. This place reminded me of the great ciders I drank while in the UK and Europe. Crafted more like wines, usually blended, sometimes lightly sparkling. they grow about 50 kinds of apples specifically for cider making. The Celebration is terrific and one of all our favorites. They also sell them when stocks allow. My wife bought some English apples she hadn't seen for 15 years and made great pies. The grounds have a self-guided tour that is fun and educational. You will learn about apples, local history and geology and underground sites. The staff are friendly and the setting is quite peacefull. If you have time go into Burkittsville and visit the Dry Goods Store, very short drive straight up the road. Tale time to talk with the proprietor, Paul. Another great place to learn of the past. Its a step back in time. Together these spots make a really nice outing.

2  Thank Fred B

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We heard about this apple farm with a wide selection of products including homemade ciders, hard ciders and ability to pick and purchase fresh apples. My husband and I went a beautiful Saturday and were very pleased. We not only left with fresh apples ( with recipes for apple pie which was well received by friends and family), cider for the children and hard cider which we were able to taste prior to purchase for my husband and I. Should include this location on visits to this area and say hi to Kingston!

1  Thank Maryann M
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I dragged my husband and friends out to the First Press Saturday. It was seriously underwhelming. Seemed kind of amateur hour.

Agree with the other negative review about the tasting: $5.00 for 4 very small tastings. At first I was annoyed at the size--then after considering the quality, I was glad. The "Celebration" cider was far too dry, other presses were strangely oak-ey and watery and the dessert cider had a very strong taste of honey. It was very weird but none of the presses tasted like apples. We left empty-handed because frankly, I'd rather spend the money on a six-pack of Woodchucks or Crispin rather than fork over $10-20 for a slim bottle of mediocre fermented apple juice.

On the positive side the staff (a lot of them) were friendly and informative. We didn't get a tour of the farm and missed the music acts for the day but it seemed like the distillery was trying. I just think they need to try harder with the quality of their cider.

1  Thank Cha B
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Our visit to Distillery Lane Cider Works on a bright August Saturday was such a delight. We walked the orchards while following posted information about their sustainable practices and adventures in growing apples. Afterwards, we enjoyed a cider-tasting in the small front room near the cider-making classroom. The room is rustic and has a little bar area where we sampled three different ciders for $5.00. The young man behind the bar poured us the samples and explained the details and subtleties of each as we tasted. We got to keep the "just-right" tasting glasses embossed with the Distillery's initials. We ended up buying a six-bottle selection of ciders, beautifully packaged in an array of interesting bottles. Well worth the trip out for a lovely visit. (Make sure to check for hours of operation before you go.)

3  Thank Barbara B
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I read up on this location before visiting Frederick. but somehow missed that they weren't open during the week. My husband and I had driven up there and pulled up to the front of the distillery and saw a few people sitting outside the shop area and asked them if it was open (the sign said closed, but with people outside, who knew?) A tall white haired gentleman who turned out to be the owner said to come on in.

He took us inside, asked us to pardon the mess (they were painting, which is why they were all there), and let us try some bottles he already had open. Then he explained some things about the orchard, the other varieties of cider, and told us about upcoming events. As we were checking out with our purchases he explained that they weren't actually open! So nice!

2  Thank Sasha S