“Nice hotel, friendly staff”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbia Jessup
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Jessup
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice hotel, friendly staff”
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We stopped off the I95 on our way from New York to Miami. We were lucky to find this well appointed, comfortable and reasonable hotel to spend the night. The room was spacious and clean. The staff were friendly (Although I thought that about everyone in Maryland) and gave us advice on where to eat and a nice local dish. (Huge crabcakes, yum) There were free internet and printing facilities which I was delighted with as I was able to google map our route for the next day and keep in touch with family.

The only negative thing I could say was that the breakfast was not great, there was nothing very freshly made about it. But for the price of the room I thought this hotel an excellent stopover for the night.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Saratoga, NY
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I needed a pet friendly hotel that would accommodate a family of 5, close to I-95. I wasn't sure if I would have to settle. (Of course I think my pets are cleaner than most and my children better behaved.) The woman at the front desk was friendly and helpful. She informed me that the roll-away I requested was in the hall, so we could unpack without tripping over it. The room had a tiled entry where I could feed the dogs. After driving for 7 1/2 hours with another full day of driving ahead of me, I was pleased to have a comfortable bed. When I asked the man at the night desk for extra towels he helped me immediately. He also informed me that hot coffee would be in the lobby in the morning and to call down if I was a very early riser and he would make it early. "Breakfast" selection was standard for this type of hotel; yes, they could use more yogurt and cereal selections, but we just wanted to grab something and get on the road. The hotel is located on a dead end street a little off the beaten path, but not far at all. The price was right, and the place not only suited our needs but exceeded my expectations.

• Liked — Pet friendly, convenient location, clean, helpful staff
  • Disliked — I was only half way to my final destination
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank KelinSaratoga
Boston
Reviewed 23 August 2007

My family visited over the weekend of August 9th. Arrive late on Thursday to a friendly face and fast service. Our room, two double beds was clean and updated on the 4th floor. Woke the next morning to a typical breakfast (a plus was a waffle maker and a prompt staff that kept everything full and clean) Used the gym with is a small room with a bike, tread mill and eliptical. Basic but worked for me. Left for a day in Baltimore and the Red Sox game, directions from staff easy to follow and direct. The next night the hotel filled with Red Sox fans but was very quiet except in common areas in reception area. Staff always polite and courteous, we could find no fault on value. Would go back again. Only issues were that patrons seem to use the stairwells as smoking areas, causing common areas on our floor extremely smelly of smoke, and the air conditioner in the common areas could be put on higher. Would recommend for the price $99 in this area.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — smoke
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank kikiboothman
colorado
Reviewed 16 July 2007

We have had many good experiences with La Quinta in many locations. This was not one of them. We arrived with a printed email confirmation number, but the clerk at the desk couldn't find our reservation. After 10 minutes of waiting, we suggested she just give us a room at the rate quoted on the email. She said she couldn't do that, could only give us the currently available rate which is usually higher. When she checked, it turned out to be $2 less than the rate we'd been quoted. Finally got a room--barely in time to make it to our meeting with a client. She told us we better call the 800 number and cancel our other reservation or we'd probably be charged for both. She did not apologize for all the inconvenience.

We spent the evening with our clients and returned to our room about midnight and went to bed. About 12:30 I woke up because I felt something on my face (if you're squeemish, better stop here). It turned out to be a bedbug. I was horrified. I spent several minutes searching for any signs of other bugs while my exhausted husband snored through the whole thing. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much the rest of the night.

Upon presenting the evidence to the manager the next morning, she apologized profusely and did not charge us for the room. This location has rates of about $100 per night. Although my experience may be atypical, I would not recommend this particular location for a stay with La Quinta.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank ietravel
Raleigh
Reviewed 15 July 2007

Get directions to this place because it's an awkward exit from I-95 and the La Quinta is not visible from the main roads. That said, it is a clean, quiet motel (formerly a Fairfield Inn). Staff was pleasant and efficient, room was very clean and there's no highway noise at all. No food other than an Arby's really handy, although if you want to venture over to the other side of I-95 there are more options.

• Liked — Clean and quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing of note in walking distance
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank TarHeelTraveller
South Jersey
Reviewed 8 June 2007

This location has undergone recent renovations on every floor, and the hotel is overall clean and comfortable. However, there are enough problems with the stay that it is not welcoming.

I asked for a room change, since my room was across from the elevator and was constantly disturbed by the sound. I was switched to a new room, only this one was next to a room undergoing major renovations. My third change was adequate.

Breakfast is at the lowest end of the free-breakfast hotels. You'll find a lot missing here, no fruits, a lack of cereal options, and staff that does not seem to care.

I have been most upset with the unreliable wi-fi connection. If you have a room near an elevator, you will have poor reception. A room farther away will get you low connection.

Business traveller's may not be happy here. If you are looking for an overnight stay it is enough to make you happy.

• Liked — Clean rooms, new linens and fixtures
  • Disliked — breakfast, wi-fi connection
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank jokerjo
Albany, NY
Reviewed 28 April 2007

Everybody has different things they look for in a hotel. Two of the most important to me are windows that open for fresh air, and quiet. I'm a slight sleeper, the difference between a quiet hotel and a noisy one is huge.

I'm a business traveler who stays in 70-80 hotels a year, and my assistant calls and carefully screens each one based on these and other criteria (like the reviews in TripAdvisor). Given this process, it's extremely frustrating to arrive at a hotel like this one and find that it's windows are taped over (for outside painting) and that it is under major, major construction (basically for the conversion from Fairfieldn Inn to La Quinta Inn).

It's sad when hotels get greedy, and refuse to be honest with their guests when reservations are booked. Here's a helpful guide for hotels like this one in how to be honest:

1. Guest Question: "Does the hotel have windows that open for fresh air?"

Their answer: "Yes."

Honest answer: "Yes, our windows normally do open. This month we're having the outisde of the building painted, so you should be aware that during your stay they may be covered in plastic and unable to open."

2. Guest question: "Is it possible to request a quiet room -- on a high floor, away from the elevator and the ice machine?"

Their answer: "Yes"

Honest answer: "Normally, yes, but unfortunately, we're undergoing a major renovation right now. It's not like we can just put you on one wing of the hotel that isn't under construction, because the entire hotel is being remodeled. We could put you on the 2nd floor, there will be work being done directly above your head. Given this, you might be best accomodated elsewhere, and we look forward to welcoming you back as a customer after we've completed our renovation."

This hotel had two redeeming features. One was a very nice man working the graveyard shift at the front desk, who showed us what a room would be like inside and offered to cancel the reservation. The other is wifi internet access to allow me to research other hotel options in the area. Doing this at 12:30 a.m. (after flying into BWI) was very frustrating.

Is it too much to ask hotels to be honest? If you're under construction, please warn your propspective guests. Particularly the ones asking about quiet rooms.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank biztravel1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jessup
Sleep Inn Columbia Gateway
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South
Holiday Inn Columbia East - Jessup
Red Roof Inn Washington DC - Columbia / Fort Meade
Comfort Suites Columbia Gateway
Homewood Suites by Hilton Columbia

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbia Jessup? Share your experiences!