“Great Stay, Beautiful Accomodations, service can be spotty”

Antietam Overlook Farm
Ranked #1 of 3 Keedysville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We had a wonderful time at the AOF. As mentioned in other reviews, the breakfasts were great, although we were never able to eat all three courses. The complimentary beverages were a nice touch. Best of all, the staff encouraged people to get together and the interplay between staff and guests made the stay quite nice.

The scenic vistas are truly beautiful, and the AOF is quite pleasant even in the rain. We enjoyed the fireplace in the room the one day we had poor weather. Watching the area birds visiting the many feeders on the grounds was a special treat.

The only negative thing we had to say was the staff was not always good at details. We were not told that the bed would not be made, and that the linens would not be changed. OK, we do those things at home without complaining, but we would like to have known. The leaky toilet was inconvenient, and I ended up fixing it myself, but you don't go to a B&B to play homeowner. Finally, we asked the staff to make a dinner reservation, and were surprised to learn this wasn't done.

Although none of the negatives were deal breakers, cumulatively they detracted from a wonderful experience

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SBBNJ

Reviewed 25 February 2008

I stumbled across the Antietam Overlook Farm’s website when planning a quiet little weekend getaway for my boyfriend and me. Not having any personal references on which to base my decision, I relied heavily on the reviews on tripadvisor.com, so I felt I should post a review that will hopefully help others.

When I made our reservation, I spoke with Mark (the owner), who was more accommodating than I could have hoped. I spoke with Phil (the chef) to confirm our arrival, and found him very friendly and helpful.

Our room was clean and cozy, with its own gas fireplace and private bath facilities (including a large soaking tub and separate shower, stocked with luxurious towels). The bed was large and comfortable, with a heavy quilt and plenty of pillows. The common room has a wood-burning fireplace surrounded by plenty of seating for reading or chatting with the other guests. The innkeepers are kind enough to provide coffee, tea, soda, beer, wine and aperitifs for guests’ enjoyment, which I thought was a nice touch. Breakfast was large and delicious, with plenty of coffee and orange juice.

The entire experience with Antietam Overlook Farm and the innkeepers was nothing but enjoyable. When we return to the area for a more in-depth tour of the battlefield, we know exactly where to stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank history_mystery
Reviewed 23 February 2008

I'm glad we didn't let a few sour reviews found on Trip Advisor stop us from visiting the Antietam Overlook Farm. Mark, the inn owner is delightful and made us feel welcome the minute we entered the driveway gate. We had traveled 9 hours and a glass of chardonnay and a cold beer were perfect offerings to help us unwind.

I feel that Mark, the inn keeper, needs special recognition. I called him, with a special (personal) request and he was happy to accommodate me and could NOT have been nicer. After 5 years, I got the feeling that Mark still really enjoys being in the B&B business. He sat there in the living room, enjoying a glass of wine with us.

The inn is in a beautiful, rural setting. This is the first B&B we have ever gone to where we actually felt comfortable sitting in the living room and reading or just sitting by the warm fire. (a real fire -- no fake logs!) There were gas logs in our room, but I think that is just a safety precaution and a smart move for guests who might not know how to build a real fire. But it was a nice touch to have the gas logs in the room.

Our room was a nice size -- clean, great bed, nice sheets. Real nice shampoo and conditioner and soap. Immaculate bathroom (very important on my list!!!) The unusual thing about our room is that the sink wasn't in the bathroom -- it was in the room. (?) [A little inconvenient -- but hey, who ever designed it before Mark took over the establishment did that.] There was also a big soaking tub, behind a nice lattice=work screen, but we didn't get the chance to use it. However, again, it was immaculate! Mark also asked me to notify him if anything was not exceptionally clean -- which I didn't have to do!! But at least the offer was there -- showing me that he wanted my stay to be perfect.

The breakfast was outstanding, served in a relaxed way and not rushed. Loved being served ICE CREAM with whipped cream as "dessert" after breakfast!!!

I think the overall feel of the inn was an invitation to relax and feel at home. And that's how we felt. We just kept saying how GLAD we were that we didn't put any credence in that critical review. The entire review couldn't be farther from the truth!

If I had any criticism of the Antietam Overlook farm it was the envelope left in a very prominent place in our room informing us that the staff works very hard and appreciates being recognized for their work (by tips.) It went on to say that tips are a substantial part of the employees' salaries. Although we left a $10 tip for the housekeeper, my thought on that is that the innkeeper should just pay them more and not count on tips from guests to subsidize their salaries. That's why they are called "tips." I also think there is a more subtle way to remind guests to leave a tip instead of having a reminder printed on an envelope.

Other than this this little quirk (which really doesn't effect the stay what-so-ever) I highly recommend the Antietam Overlook Farm. You will leave feeling rested and pampered.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2007

We loved Antietam Overlook Farm. It was the perfect get away. Friendly, cozy atmosphere and wonderful breakfasts prepared by a chef trained at Johnson and Wales. The views from our room and porch were spectacular. The fireplace in the living room was beautiful. The parot entertained but was never a problem. Great fun, great time and very relaxing. We will visit again soon!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 December 2007

Its a good thing I didn't read the reviews!!! I had a fantastic stay and couldn't have been treated better. Our Room and the Inn were spotless, the bed was extremely comfortable with plenty of pillows and plush sheets and suculant towels. Phil made a 3 course breakfast both days and the pears and cheesy coffee cake were unbelievable. When I go back, I'll ask for them. Based on Marks referral, we had dinner at the Antietam Cafe. Oh my God, it was perfect, charming and you can take a bottle of wine to go, our server was Lee and the service and wine recommendations were right on target. Enjoy, if you don't, you're not from this planet.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2007

We just returned from a wonderfully relaxing weekend at Antietam Overlook Farm and can’t stop raving about it! From the moment we arrived on the farm we felt welcome and wish we could’ve extended our stay even longer. Mark and Phil are so friendly and warm and they provided us with a beautiful serene atmosphere. The breakfasts were phenomenal and we hope to be back again in the near future to enjoy them again. :)

Jeanette & Sean

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2007

We have just returned from one of the most pleasurabe stays in a B&B. The Inn itself was so peaceful and the panoramic view was outstanding.
The accommodations were very pleasurable and comfortable.
The in- room fireplace added a perfect touch. We spent quite a few hours in the great room in front of a very large fireplace, reading and listening to very restful music.
The breakfast was without a doubt the best.. The blueberry pancakes were great. Chef Phil and the owner Mark saw to all our needs. Whatever you needed all you had to do was ask and Mark woould see to it . We would reccommend it to anyone who wanted a few days away at a wonderful place. We plan to go back as often as possible. Marie and Harry Dunkle

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keedysville
Bavarian Inn
Hampton Inn Hagerstown
Hampton Inn Hagerstown
#1 of 21 in Hagerstown
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Antietam Overlook Farm? Share your experiences!