“Wonderful romantic getaway”

Ranked #1 of 3 Keedysville B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh,PA
“Wonderful romantic getaway”
Reviewed 3 November 2008

This was our third time to this wonderful inn, but our first time writing a review. We cannot say enough about this place! It just keeps getting better and better. We arrived Friday evening and were greeted by Dave, the super friendly and cool innkeeper. Breakfast both mornings was amazing. Ice cream for breakfast--Yay!!!! Three courses of amazing food, all prepared by Dave. We were able to spend time with Mark, the owner, and had a wonderful time. He was friendly as always. That's just one feature that makes this place so appealing. We also enjoyed the company of Michelle, the assistant to Dave and Mark. She has such a friendly personality, she's definately an asset to the inn. Our room was immaculate, the food was amazing and the company was incredible. What more could we ask for? We will return in February!

• Liked — The food and the company
  • Disliked — We had to leave!!!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Linville, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 October 2008

We booked at the AOF for 4 days, which included a celebration of our 37th Wedding Anniversary. We stayed in the Garden View Room (main floor) and were enchanted with the wildlife that visit the farm. Deer which come to graze and birds at the feeders. The early mornings and late evenings were made all the more enchanting with the fireplace in our room. Seasoned travelers often find that mattresses and pillows aren't all that comfortable, but not in this case.... our pillows were so comfortable that I checked out the tag (Ralph Lauren) in hopes of finding some just like them for our own home ! Dave may not be a schooled Chef, but you will never know it. His creations are delectable and beautifully served. I am not personally a 'breakfast person' but I found myself looking forward to his morning creations. Just outside our door was a Flavia coffee/tea brewer, an unlimited supply of fresh coffee and a variety of teas, and a refrigerator well supplied with sodas, beer, bottled water and wine. Mark is a busy guy with a full time job in the city, but still finds time to make himself available to personally introduce himself to his guests and chat. The surrounding area has many opportunities for just about anyone, to include exploring the colorful history of the area, as well as many seasonal and cultural events. It is also within easy driving distance to PA, WV, VA, and DC for those inclined to 'day trips'. Sharpsburg is seriously lacking in dining opportunities with the one exception being The Antietam Cafe and Wine Bar, which we found to be EXCELLENT. Howard, the Chef, knows his stuff ! And upon learning that we were celebrating our anniversary, he presented us with a fabulous Apple Creme Brulee, with his compliments and visited our table to chat and wish us well.
We loved our entire visit at AOF. The staff were always eager to answer questions and help with directions. In response to one other previous comment, we WERE asked when we booked if either of us had any dietary restrictions or food allergies, (we don't) so in our case the staff made every effort to make all aspects of our visit perfect. We will DEFINITELY go back!!

• Liked — Peaceful and remote
  • Disliked — Internet access is limited to the common living room area.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Glen Burnie
Reviewed 4 October 2008

I was just reminded that I needed to write a review for Antietam Overlook Farm in reference to wonderful stay my husband and I had. The Birdwatch room that my husband I stayed in was extremely comfortable and clean. There was not only a million dollar view but a two million dollar view of the mountains. Mark and Ryan and Dave (inkeeper) were wonderful entertainers. Its not often when visiting as many b and b's as what we have, that you come across such wonderful hosts. This was our first time staying here, but will probably not be back that way for a couple more years.

Truly,
Cheryl and Dave

Stayed July 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 September 2008

I surprised my husband with a one-night stopover at Antietam Overlook Farm between our stays in Washington, DC and Gettysburg, PA. By the time the manager, Dave, finished showing us around our room (I had booked "the Overlook"), my husband was wishing we could stay for more than one night. And that was before we had dug into Dave's incredible 5-course dinner, with wine pairings, created just for us and served on the screened-in porch just off the main dining area on the first floor.

As others have mentioned, the owner, Mark, is an extremely friendly and accommodating fellow. He returned late from his "day job" in DC, but we invited him and Dave to sit and drink wine with us 'round about the 3rd course. We cannot praise Dave's cooking enough. Apparently he joined Overlook around February of this year, as Phil (also mentioned in some prior reviews) moved on to manage Mark's restaurant in Sharpsburg. Dave has little formal training in culinary arts, but he is a natural marvel. And I was stunned that each of the 5 courses was "full size" with virtually unlimited wine (he opened a new bottle for each course and invited the two of us to drink as much as we wanted). The only downside was that after 4 courses of this routine, my head was spinning, and I had to forgo the dessert course. Damn.

A few things I'd like to say in response to earlier comments. A reviewer from June 2006 related that when she sent the breakfast back because it was too "high fat" for her husband, the cook/owner at the time, Rudy, said "I wish you had told me (that my husband was on a low fat diet), so I wouldn't have made all of this." She replied said , "I wish you had asked." I'm sorry, but when you are staying at B&Bs, it is up to YOU, the traveler, to let the staff know WELL IN ADVANCE of any dietary restrictions. B&Bs don't generally "cook to order," they make the same breakfast for everyone. If you can't risk that, let them know. Most will accommodate your dietary preferences, but they need advance notice to plan accordingly.

Another reviewer from February, 2008 noted: "The unusual thing about our room is that the sink wasn't in the bathroom -- it was in the room. (?) [A little inconvenient ..."

This is obviously a matter of personal preference, but I like this set-up. It allows me to use the sink for applying make-up/doing my hair while my husband is using the shower or toilet. Fortunately, I DID find time to use the soaking tub in our room. What a delight to lie back and look out the window at nature while luxuriating in hot water and bath salts!

Final note: we stayed mid-week, so the Overlook Room was a real bargain at $185. I would love to go back and spend a few leisurely days to take advantage of all this B&B has to offer.

• Liked — Great views, lovely room, comfortable bed and bedding, delicious food, friendly staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TrentinaNE
Annapolis
Reviewed 20 July 2008

This inn has lovely views of the countryside, which you can enjoy from your room's very own screened porch. Make sure you ask for a room with a good view. The innkeepers are very friendly, and the rooms are large and clean. The breakfasts were very good, but we thought the third course of ice cream was a bit odd for breakfast. The beds and floors are a bit creaky, so if you are sensitive to noise, ask for a room on the top floor. Our room had a separate bathroom with a toilet and shower, but the sink and soaking tub were in the main living area, which was a bit inconvenient. Attention to a few more details would make this place ideal, such as replacing the mints for guests who stay more than one night, providing tissue boxes in the rooms, and replacing towels left on the floor, rather than just hanging them back up on a hook to dry. We were aware of their conservation policies and only left one towel on the floor to be replaced because it had been used a few times. Yet, it was not replaced with a fresh towel. Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Liked — the view and screened-in porch
  • Disliked — layout of room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelinaround
Central New Jersey
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We had a wonderful time at the AOF. As mentioned in other reviews, the breakfasts were great, although we were never able to eat all three courses. The complimentary beverages were a nice touch. Best of all, the staff encouraged people to get together and the interplay between staff and guests made the stay quite nice.

The scenic vistas are truly beautiful, and the AOF is quite pleasant even in the rain. We enjoyed the fireplace in the room the one day we had poor weather. Watching the area birds visiting the many feeders on the grounds was a special treat.

The only negative thing we had to say was the staff was not always good at details. We were not told that the bed would not be made, and that the linens would not be changed. OK, we do those things at home without complaining, but we would like to have known. The leaky toilet was inconvenient, and I ended up fixing it myself, but you don't go to a B&B to play homeowner. Finally, we asked the staff to make a dinner reservation, and were surprised to learn this wasn't done.

Although none of the negatives were deal breakers, cumulatively they detracted from a wonderful experience

• Liked — Great views, scenic area, interchange among guests
  • Disliked — Spotty service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SBBNJ
Gaithersburg, MD
Reviewed 25 February 2008

I stumbled across the Antietam Overlook Farm’s website when planning a quiet little weekend getaway for my boyfriend and me. Not having any personal references on which to base my decision, I relied heavily on the reviews on tripadvisor.com, so I felt I should post a review that will hopefully help others.

When I made our reservation, I spoke with Mark (the owner), who was more accommodating than I could have hoped. I spoke with Phil (the chef) to confirm our arrival, and found him very friendly and helpful.

Our room was clean and cozy, with its own gas fireplace and private bath facilities (including a large soaking tub and separate shower, stocked with luxurious towels). The bed was large and comfortable, with a heavy quilt and plenty of pillows. The common room has a wood-burning fireplace surrounded by plenty of seating for reading or chatting with the other guests. The innkeepers are kind enough to provide coffee, tea, soda, beer, wine and aperitifs for guests’ enjoyment, which I thought was a nice touch. Breakfast was large and delicious, with plenty of coffee and orange juice.

The entire experience with Antietam Overlook Farm and the innkeepers was nothing but enjoyable. When we return to the area for a more in-depth tour of the battlefield, we know exactly where to stay.

• Liked — The innkeepers were extremely helpful
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank history_mystery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keedysville
Bavarian Inn
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Thomas Shepherd Inn
Thomas Shepherd Inn
#1 of 2 in Shepherdstown

Been to Antietam Overlook Farm? Share your experiences!