“Nice hotel, breakfast lacking”

Holiday Inn Express La Plata
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in La Plata
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here to travel to DC. It was a great location to get to the Metro station. Rooms were clean. Breakfast was lacking other then the pancake machine. Bacon tasted like cardboard, eggs weren't much better.

• Stayed: April 2014
HolidayInn-Expr... L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Plata, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Happy that the guest was pleased with not only the breakfast but also the hotel. This kind of review is what we want all our guests to say.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Looks brand new from the outside. Great location to restaurants etc. parking was great. Gal at front desk was probably one of the nicest I've ever encountered. Not fake nice, sincerely nice. (4/27. 7pm). Room was very nice. Some finishes need to be updated. Bed comfy. Quite dusty on the trim around the fridge. Shower dated but nice except for small amount mold growing on caulk. ( rm202). Im not sure if maintenance rounds or management rounds or they would see these things. Otherwise very nice, maybe I'm picky. I travel for work FT and am in a hotel 3-4 nights a week. I would definitely go back and would recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInn-Expr... L, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Plata, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2015

Reviewed 28 February 2014

I do not understand the negative reviews. This hotel is clean, has nice breakfast and is close to places to eat in the evening. I was there on business and found it to be excellent. Do hotels get bed bugs. Yes. Today ALL hotels get bugs. Our culture has declined and some propel carry them in. This hotel does not have standard bedspreads. It has a washable cover. That means all linens can be laundered. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Second floor on ground level in back of hotel. Safe area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HolidayInn-Expr... L, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Plata, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your comment. We are always happy to know that a guest is completely satisfied.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Clean and quiet. Warm welcome and cute entrance. The room was clean as well as the bathroom,
The breakfast was very poor. The cinnamon bagels were as hard as the granite counter they were on and the plain bagels were molded. I brought it to their attention and they changed a few of them. The selection was limited. No fresh fruits either. They have the new pancake "machine" that replaces the waffle one. Mistake = the pancakes come out too thin and not very good. The breakfast hostess was very nice and tried to make up for the problems we encountered.

Room Tip: Stay away from the highway which is a very busy one.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Plata, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Savytrotter,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the breakfast prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We were glad to see the staff was attentive to the concerns you had. We were also pleased to see your positive comments for the cleanliness of the hotel and your room. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had a bad experience a few months ago that management made right by refunding us our money for the night. (Wedding downstairs, loud music, 100 people, no parking) Make sure you ask if there is an event.

This time my wife, two kids (3 and 4) and myself came. We continue to pick this hotel because it has a pool ...or does it? Call before you come because on the door of the pool it read "out of order". Bummer, my kids were devastated.

It was January and 15 degrees outside and 40 degrees in our room. We asked the front desk to be moved to a warmer room and they said that all the rooms were this way. So if you plan on coming and it's cold outside call ahead and ask them to turn on the heat. We checked in at 7pm and by 10pm it was about 55 degrees in the room. We had to keep the kids bundled up in the room.

On the lobby TV in front of the front desk was a " Jersey Shore" type show. That may be okay for some places but not in front of kids or guests for that fact. Very unprofessional.

We stayed in a king room with a pull out bed. It was nice and clean.

I thought about giving it one more star but I was shivering while I was writing this.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank topbrian42
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Plata, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear topbrian42,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera P

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Incompetent, apathetic, unprofessional staffing. Use the Best Western next door or stay in Waldorf (5 miles north on US 301) Reservations were made 1 month+ in advance & pre-paid--all rooms were wrong (3 rooms)--didn't bother to tell us there was a high school wrestling tournament in town that week/weekend--noise until well after midnight--staff too busy with their own holiday party to correct--worst hotel experience ever--NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Plata, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Tim B,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. It is regrettable your stay was negatively impacted by the level of noise created by other guest at the hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. If you have future concerns, please let the Duty Manager know so an alternate room could be offered if available.

Connie D

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I booked a weekend reservation at this hotel online. I requested a non-smoking/2bed room because I was traveling with 2 teenagers and 1 child. I called the hotel ahead of time to let them know I would be arriving late. We arrived at 10pm on a friday night. We got checked in an went up to the room. We immediately noticed the strong smell of smoke in the room and also the fact that there was a king bed which did not suit our needs. I returned to the front desk and asked to be moved to the right room. The guy at the front desk told me that there was nothing they could do for me because they were booked up for the weekend and the online reservation system has different information than they do. The most ridiculous excuse for such a large hotel chain!! I asked to speak to a manager since it was too late for me, a woman, to go out hotel shopping by myself in an unfamiliar area, with young children. I figured that at least if I had to be uncomfortable and inconvenienced, I should expect not to be charged for extra guests. If nothing else, you would think that they should at least attempt to make us more comfortable. The manager had absolutely no customer service skills, they were unwilling to help me out in any way whatsoever. They basically told me to accept it or find another hotel. I called the holiday inn customer relations number, I was on hold for almost 20 minutes the first time, while they called the front desk to try to resolve my problem. The guy at the front desk still offered no resolution. As a matter of fact, he completely ignored that I was standing there still waiting. He counted money, looked on the computer, slammed drawers violently and answered phones as if I wasn't even there. I asked him what had been decided and he said "nothing, i already tried telling you". I called customer relations again, to be placed on hold for 45 minutes while they argued back and forth with the front desk guy. My children fell asleep in the lobby so I decided to take them to the room while I tried to resolve the issue. Once we got to the room, one of us had to sleep on the floor so that we could all have enough room. In the end customer relations agreed to investigate to determine if I should be credited for my first night stay. The front desk guy brought us up a roll away bed as if that would be an acceptable alternative to the queen beds I had paid for. Not to mention that it didn't fix the odor in the room. I explained my disappointment to him and he stood in my room at 1am rolling his eyes at me. They suggested that I check out in the morning and offered me phone numbers to other hotels in the area. I most definitely checked out as soon as the sun came up. At first I thought the problem was just this particular location, but I am extremely disappointed in the whole chain. They did absolutely nothing to honor my reservation and even went as far as to change their story several times claiming that I requested it that way. As for their investigation, I doubt that I will ever see my money back for that night because it was very clear that they only care about
their own pockets.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank MamaGeee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Plata, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear MamaGeee,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is very unfortunate that we were not able to deliver based on your expectations on this visit due to the condition of the room you were given and quality of service received being sub par. These shall be addressed accordingly with our team to consider for improvements needed in our efforts.

Kind Regards,

#6 of 12 in Waldorf
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 2 in King George

Been to Holiday Inn Express La Plata? Share your experiences!