“Feedback”

Best Western Capital Beltway
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lanham
Reviewed 10 November 2011

We were totally happy with this hotel and staff. We used the van transportation every day to get to the metro to go into Washington DC. It was very efficient. All of the employees that we encountered were very professional, knowlegeable and nice. We enjoyed the continental breakfast. Our rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Capital Beltway, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Dear Sharon E, Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to accommodating you again.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Capital Beltway

Reviewed 5 November 2011

We almost rebooked based on previous reviews; glad we didn't. The lobby is beautiful and welcoming; it was ideal for a late evening discussion with a foreign family about driving north. Our room was clean and updated; the bathroom was clean and basic. Noise on the floor varied; Wed was very loud until 1 AM but Thurs was very quiet. The breakfast room has seen better days, but the buffet was excellent. The pool is very basic; we agree with the condensation comment. At no time did we encounter any of the smells other reviewers mentioned. The shuttle to the Metro was terrific; front desk staff very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Dear meemawMelrose_ma, Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

We walked into the hotel on Sunday 10/9/2011 and left 5 days later on Thursday. We therefore spent plenty of time there for a solid base for the review.

As soon as we walked into the hotel we were met by an unusually closed-door smell in the lobby. The lobby itself looked dated but not too unreasonable. We got past that without too much worry.

However, when we got to the elevators, we were struck by a new smell which I must say I never experienced before. Over our stay we confirmed that both elevators smelled the same way; bad. As another reviewer noted the 2 elevators are small. To give you an idea on the size, a bell-boy cart does not fit in there by depth, it needs to be twisted sideways to allow the door to close.

Our room was on the 5th floor, room 531. As soon as we opened the door we were greeted by yet another foul smell. This time it was recognizable as closed-door musky with a hint of mold. We tried to open the window but it was the type that does not open. So we were stuck.

My wife went into the bathroom and found water to be dripping from the ceiling at a constant rate. We were half way unpacked at that point. We quickly called the receptionist and asked for a new room. We were given room 532 right across the hallway.

We had hoped that the new room would smell better or have windows that opened but we were disappointed on both fronts. The new room smelled the same way, bad, but luckily the bathroom did not leak.

We got the room for cheap so we decided to stay. In hindsight we should have left at that point. We turned on the air conditioning to get some air flowing and eventually got used to the smell while in the room.

In the morning we went for breakfast which we found to be reasonable in terms of taste but it was not stocked very well. They were always out of something. If it wasn't out of syrup then it was out of eggs or coffee, etc. Luckily we did not get food poisoning.

The breakfast room however felt very dirty. I think the smell of coffee and breakfast masked a lot of the smell. The decor in the room was some sort of old ship or some vessel theme. It was really old and nasty. I suppose that that's where they hold parties in the weekend as another reviewer complained about loud music. We were not there on Friday or Saturday night so we did not encounter a party.

The swimming pool was no different than the other rooms. It was run down and neglected. In the evening the glass walls and ceiling were dripping wet from condensation. Everything was wet. But the worst part was just that everything was old in the pool area.

The hotel's shuttle to the Metra was nice and the crew was pleasant when we called to pick us up from the train in the evening.

We want to give credit to the service desk person who allowed us to use the office to print up a reservation to one of the attractions in D.C.. While the hotel has a pc with a printer for the guests to use in the lobby, one of the guests sat down with a bag of chips and pop and browsed the internet for more than the 45 minutes we waited for a turn.

The experience in that hotel was one of the worst we have ever had. We could not get past the different foul odors and how dirty it felt. Stay away.

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank andreitamas
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Capital Beltway, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Dear andreitamas, On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I sincerely apologize for the issue with the smell and this matter is currently being investigated by our operations manager.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

The sfaff was friendly and went above and beyond the call of duty to get us into the room we most desired. The continental breakfast bar was excellent. I loved making my own waffles.

Room Tip: Call the hotel yourself instead of using the online rates and request the lowest available price.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear linrudy, Thank You for commenting on our hotel. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. A lot of guests enjoy making their own waffles, so we are glad you this opportunity. We look forward to accommodating you again at Best Western Capital Beltway.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I would consider this stay to be a comedy of errors. This is an older hotel, the elevator is so tiny that if a cleaning lady is in there with her cleaning cart, there is no room for anyone else. We stayed for a week. We moved 3 times on the second day. There is a lounge/bar downstairs that is only open on Fri and Sat nights according to the hotel information. However around 10pm on a Sunday night there arose such a clatter, actually a pounding/vibration that shook the whole hotel. I went down to the lobby around 10:15pm to investigate and there were a dozen other guests there also complaining. Apparently the hotel booked a private function in that bar/lounge and the DJ was playing his funk/rap music so loud that the building was vibrating. The night manager was no where to be found, the desk clerk paged him/her 5 times and no response. No doubt he/she was hiding not wanting to deal with the guests complaints. We were told the party would be over at 2am... I pointed out that the hotel has a no noise after 10pm policy but the clerk just shrugged that off. At 2:15am I called back down to the lobby because the racket had not quit... the clerk said any minute now. Well it was 2:45 am before the music stopped, but then the ruckus out in the parking lot began and continued till 3:30am. I was first in line at the managers office when she walked in the next morning. She offered her apologies and a 1/2 refund for the evening, I said that wasn't acceptable and insisted on a full refund which she gave me. I must say that General Manager - Helen [--] was sincere with her apology and she didn't argue with me when I insisted on the full refund. I asked if there were going to be any further private parties and I was assured that there wouldn't be but Helen wanted to move me elsewhere in the hotel where she felt I would be less likely to be disturbed. So up we went to the 6th floor. It wasn't long after that while I was trying to nap and get caught up on lost sleep that a ruckus arose in the room next to ours. It sounded like 3-4 children were in the room next to us, running, jumping, yelling, screaming. I called Helen and asked her if there happened to be a day care center in the next room, she said no, so I told her what was going on and she acknowledged that she could hear it through the phone... she checked and it seems that she had moved us into a room next to a family of 6 who have been staying in the hotel for 41 days with an open date for checking out... Well we are not getting any peace and quiet next to this noisy family so Helen once again moved us to another room.. on the 5th floor. This seems to be quiet for the time being.
The internet is slow and suddenly during our 4th day it just quit. The Assistant Manager Sheri explained that the hotel was in the process of upgrading their WiFi. I can't be without internet so I went out and bought a broadband stick for my laptop.. if the hotel can't provide me a signal, then I will provide my own. When I went to get the stick, I found our car (which has been parked in the parking lot at the hotel for 4 days) plastered with glue on stickers, advertisements for local clubs and dances. Actually glued to the windows of the car. Sheri said she has been trying to catch these guys who do this. So now I have to deal with getting these stickers off the windows so I can see to drive the car. What else can go wrong... Well the breakfast is mediocre at best, although they do a better job on the weekends, but expect the bare necessities during the week. The shuttle to the Metro is a bonus, that is why our car never left the parking spot. Restaurants are close by and so is grocery shopping and laundry. A big hotel like this and they do not have laundry facilities. We were told the reason was because guests are on holiday and don't want to bother with laundry... HELLO... yes I am on a two month holiday, but I need to do laundry once a week. I could go on and on about this hotel but I have said enough... Helen and Sheri did do their best to accommodate us. I think when I come back to Washington DC I will probably look elsewhere and it would probably be wise to spend a bit more for the room. It costs $18.00 for a day pass for 2 on the Metro.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill M
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Capital Beltway, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear laplaya29, Thank you for taking the time and consideration to let us know about the circumstances surrounding your recent visit to Best Western. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconsistencies in service you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Dirty rooms, corridors, dining room. Sticky door handles, stained and grey sheets. Bar, and I guess restaurant, only open on Friday and Saturday they said, but you would not want to walk outside in that area to find a bar or restaurant to use. Breakfast room dirty and gloomy and choice of breakfast items very, very limited.
After taking my morning bath I walked around the room in bare feet and after 20 minutes the soles of my feet were really dirty. The chambermaid didn't show up so the beds were not made nor the coffee sachets replenished.
Could not wait to leave to return to our Best Western hotel in New Jersey, now that one really is BEST Western.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank borrowedtheboots
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Capital Beltway, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear borrowedtheboots, On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Don't be fooled by the picture in the ad - does not look this good. It is an older Best Western. Lobby is nice and they do have a van that takes you to the Metro but undependable for picking you up on time. Breakfast was good but always ran out of food. They only had one individual working. Pool was ok but always ran out to towels. They do give a discount if you stay for three nights.
Not the greatest.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Capital Beltway, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear epmmrp, On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanham
Metro Points Hotel - Washington North
Days Inn Lanham Washington D.C
Holiday Inn Washington DC / Greenbelt
Courtyard New Carrollton Landover
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC - BW Parkway
Staybridge Suites Washington D.C. - Greenbelt

Been to Best Western Capital Beltway? Share your experiences!