“50% Discount for Room with no Shower”

Holiday Inn Express I-95 Beltway-Largo
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Largo
South Carolina
“50% Discount for Room with no Shower”
Reviewed 15 July 2009

This Holiday Inn Express, like the others, is a very comfortable and clean hotel. The staff is extraordinary - courteous, friendly, helpful. Breakfast is well above average and the food is constantly refreshed and tables cleaned.

Unfortunately, the shower faucet in our room became broken on the second night so that neither my wife or I had a way to take a bath or shower. The hotel was booked, so no other room was available and at that time of night (11 pm) maintenance was not available. I complained to the front desk, and the best he could offer was a 20% discount on our room rate for the night. After returning home, I appealed to the hotel general manager and he felt that it would be fair that we receive a 50% discount for one night's stay. Not exactly the way to delight your customers in my opinion. Obviously the hotel cannot control whether things go wrong, such as a broken faucet, but they own the response to negative experiences, and this response was underwhelming.

Even though there were many positives, unfortunately I would not recommend this Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We picked this hotel because of its proximity to DC and the 6 Flags America, the HIE breakfast and the pool for our two children, 10 and 12. I booked it online from the HIE website, pre-paying for it in advance to get the best price.

We arrived after a long hot Friday in DC in July, checked in, then headed for the pool. When we arrived at the indoor pool, the guests there told us that it was just closing. Sure enough, the posted sign outside the pool door said it closed at 10pm. The kids were bummed and so was I because I wanted to soak my feet in the hot tub as well. They mentioned something about a county law requiring a lifeguard at all pools, which meant the hotel had to hire a lifeguard and thus only had limited hours for the pool. I believe the posted pool hours were 4pm-10pm M-F, 9am-10pm Saturday and Sunday.

As we were going to 6 Flags America the next morning, we wouldn't have time to go to the pool Saturday, so we planned on using the pool Sunday morning after breakfast, before checking out and starting our 7-hour drive home to Ohio.

Saturday morning, we went to breakfast and had a unique experience. This will sound horribly racist, but it's true: the entire crowded breakfast area, and all the hotel staff were African-American. Maybe I'm just naive about this area between DC and Baltimore, but it was just different for my white family of 4 to be in such a situation where WE were the minority among maybe 30 or so people. The hotel and the breakfast were very nice, but it the racial component was unexpected and I've traveled quite a bit.

We did encounter two incidents that were a problem. The Sunday morning swim we had planned before checking out did not happen because we found the door locked at 9am, all ready with swim wear. The front desk told me it didn't open until 10am and claimed they had no idea the sign outside the pool said 9am because "It's always been 10am".

I used the hotel computer to map out a drive home, but while I was there, a youngster who seemed to be hanging out everywhere around the hotel as if he was a child of a staff member, opened the door behind me and said, "Hey, what are you doing?". Naturally startled as I was reading the screen, I turned and really had no idea what to say to such a rude action. I asked him if he needed to use the computer, which he declined. He said, "You looked like I really scared you, huh?", then he told me for some unknown reason that he was going to the gym to work out. I found his disrespect for adults to be pretty bothersome. He also was at the pool when we found it closed at 9am and told us it didn't open until 10am, which lead me to believe he wasn't a guest.

At checkout, I brought up the issue with the limited pool hours and the incorrect signage, and how it wasn't mentioned on the HIE website. We had stayed 2 nights and were unable to use the pool at all during our stay. I felt we were due some recourse for the lack of facility usage, especially since we had 2 children that were very disappointed. The front desk clerk told me in an unapologetic way, "I told you the pool didn't open until 10am." When I reminded her that the pool hours sign didn't say that, and that the HIE website didn't mention that the pool hours were so limited, she still didn't apologize. I asked for a minor rate adjustment to compensate for the situation, at which point she looked up my room rate and showed it to the other clerk at the counter and they both just rolled their eyes, as if I had some nerve asking for a discount off of the prepaid discount I had from the HIE website. She noted that I was a Priority Rewards member and told me that she could only give me points because the rate I was charged was already the lowest they offered. I declined that because the amount of points wasn't enough to use and I doubted I would be able to build up enough to be able to use the points for a free room later. I informed the clerk that I do follow--up surveys and leave reviews for my travel and that I know the first thing that is asked is if the guest informed the staff of a problem. She then apologized, finally. I asked for $30 off of the $230 bill, which she said she could not do and instead gave me the card of the manager who was out of town that day.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank buckvikes
rosiji
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I am a traveller . I have travelled all over the world and stayed in all name- brand hotels but there is something peculiar about this particular hotel which drew my attention and that is; the customer service and staffs are phenomena. The management and staffs will go extra miles to make your day. My entire stay with my family was made worthful and kudos to these great team players. I will be back again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Maryland
Reviewed 2 June 2009

i attempted to reserve a block of rooms for my wedding guests in october. steve nagar, the sales manager, lied and told me that they had no rooms available. he did not know that a young lady in reservations had already told me that they had plenty of rooms available for my dates.

i don't quite understand his approach in refusing the rooms to my wedding guests - in these economic times, 10 guraranteed rooms sounds like a great deal for business to me.

quality of service is dishonest, rude and insensitive. not the kind of place i'd want to give my money too. i will never stay in this hotel and my guests will give their business to another area hotel.

• Stayed June 2009
hilargo, Guest Services Manager at Holiday Inn Express I-95 Beltway-Largo, responded to this review, 9 June 2009
Dear MyAdvice1

Thank you for reviewing Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, largo MD regarding your recent experience with the hotel services.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We completely understand your frustration that we were not able to accommodate your wedding group. At our new hotel we have a total of 89 rooms, with 5 different room types, which are again split into 90-10 ratio of non smoking to smoking rooms.

The weekend that you were inquiring accommodations for, we did not have enough rooms to commit ourselves to your wedding group. Since our reservation agents are trained to accept reservations for hotels around the DC Metro area. The agents are able to see the total number of rooms available to sell in the system including the suites, smoking and non-smoking rooms for all the hotels in the area varying in size from a 70 room hotel to 600 room hotel. Therefore, their idea of plenty of rooms was different from what we suggested you. As discussed over the phone when you called, we are still committed to the Special Event which is held in the area every year for the room types that you requested, and also the room rates for that weekend also reflect the scale of the event.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.
Sharon, MA
Reviewed 26 April 2009

While driving on our way to the hotel from DC, we were slightly skeptical about its location (which is at the last stop of the Metro blue line) far away from the city and sort of the middle of nowhere.

However, we were pleasantly surprised about not only the cleanliness of the property but also the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. This hotel worked out great for our family of four on our four day trip to DC.

For starters, the hotel is about a 20-minute Metro ride to the National Mall and the hotel staff made it easy to use the Metro with a complimentary "on-demand" shuttle.

After a day in DC, the hotel staff came to pick us up at the Metro and the kids were treated to complimentary chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies. The pool even had a lifeguard -- which we had not yet seen in a Holiday Inn Express.

Don't get put off by the fact that the hotel is basically located in an office park...it proved to be a great spot for our roadtrip to DC.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank roadtrip38
Irving, TX
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Just returned from a fabulous stay at this hotel. The property was well kept and the facility was spotless. I couldn't believe the quality of the free breakfast. We never waited more than 10 minutes for the hotel shuttle. Even the free internet worked well. Best of all were the staff! Everyone we had contact with-from the front desk staff to the breakfast ladies to the shuttle drivers-- had a friendly smile and tried their best to be helpful. I have never received service this good at even a so-called "fancier" hotel! In these days when customers are often treated more like a bother than anything, you should know that you have a fabulous staff at this Holiday Inn Express! They are a wonderful asset to your coorporation! I will certainly stay here again if I'm in the DC area!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mili007
Oregon, Ohio
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The hotel was spotless and the staff were always friendly! Everyone from the shuttle drivers to the front desk to the breakfast staff had a smile & something pleasant to say. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a shuttle. We didn't have a car so we took the metro everywhere (our first time using this) & found it was very easy to get around. Took 25 minutes to get from the Largo metro station to the Smithsonian station. The free breakfast was out of this world! Best I've ever had at any hotel where we stayed. Rooms were quiet and the free internet worked well. Probably the only "negative" I can think of is the pool is a little small. I would very definately stay here again!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank joheyOregon_Ohio
hilargo, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express I-95 Beltway-Largo, responded to this review, 24 April 2009
Thank you for your review regarding your stay with the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Largo, MD. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business. We are always very happy when a guest writes about the wonderful service they have received. As soon as I received your comments, I immediately shared with my the staff to let them know what a great job they have done. Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largo
Courtyard Largo Capital Beltway
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Largo/Washington DC
Hotel Largo
Hotel Largo
#1 of 3 in Upper Marlboro
Residence Inn Largo Capital Beltway
La Quinta Inn & Suites DC Metro Capitol Beltway
Extended Stay America - Washington, DC - Landover

Been to Holiday Inn Express I-95 Beltway-Largo? Share your experiences!