“And I don't even like BBQ that much!”
Review of Klobys Smokehouse

Klobys Smokehouse
Ranked #8 of 197 Restaurants in Laurel
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Kloby's Smokehouse is family owned and operated. Kloby's Smokehouse is known for its great food and service in a casual dining atmosphere. Kloby's serves up the best smoked Pulled Pork (served Carolina-Style), Beef Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and all of your favorite "made from scratch" sides. We pride ourselves with taking all of the time needed to BBQ all of our fresh meats in an all-natural hard wood pit to give you the best smoked, finger licking BBQ flavors you crave. No matter what occasion you decide to celebrate, be sure to celebrate the day at Kloby's Smokehouse!
Reviewed 17 June 2014

If you like BBQ, and even if you don't prefer it like me -- go get some great food at Kloby's. The restaurant is always packed, and it's never disappointing. They have a great ambiance, and their servers are very very friendly. I have enjoyed my last few outings here, and I would definitely recommend their mason jar meal thing -- it's amazing.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We ordered two carryout meat platters - pulled pork and smoked beef brisket - last night and were a bit disappointed. The beef had not been trimmed before smoking and had lumps of fatty tissue but the pork was fine. Mac-n-cheese was tasteless Velteeta, not baked and had no buttery flavor. The green beans were fresh, whole and had only been blanched - they hadn't spent time lingering with a ham hock, garlic or onion - only a dash of boiling water. The corn bread was 'corn cake' - sweet, sticky and oily - not crumbly like it used to be. My favorite hush puppies were a fail - instead of six like they promised, I received 4 plum-sized slightly burned dough balls.
The owners are concentrating on seat expansion but have ignored food quality. My humble advice is buy better meat cuts and re-train your line cooks. There's plenty of competition in the area so don't sit on your laurels. The food coming out of the kitchen has chases away this loyal customer - if others go, your bigger restaurant will be empty.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I love going here and have gone many times. I never have to wait for a table during lunch time even though it is very popular. Everything I had was good, but I really like the Jar-B-Q and brisket cheese steak!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Kloby's is located in a strip mall right off of Rt.29, not really convenient unless you live in northern Montgomery or southwestern Howard county, or else work at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab which is very close by. But, in hopes of finding something a little better than Urban BBQ, we checked it out and it fit the bill. All of the meats were well cooked, although I think Urban BBQ in Rockville is better in terms of their seasonings. Kloby's has their own BBQ sauces that they sell retail but I would grade them only "ok". I liked their baked beans and collard greens, corn bread was only fair, too dense and sweet for my taste. The service was really good, esp. notable for such a casual restaurant. They also offer beer flights , bourbon tastings, and bread pudding flights, which I think sounds amazing, if you can save an appetite for dessert after a meat heavy BBQ meal. Late night hours are a big plus on weekends.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I was in the mood for BBQ and stopped by here last week. Weny in around 6pm and sat at the bar. They have a lot of different beers on tap and have an electronic menu above the bar advertising what they have. One thing I noticed was that the screen made a point of instructing you to take care in what you choose as if they pour, you pay. Most bars that have a wide selection will offer a shot glass sized taste before your order a pint. Odd.

I ordered the Dirty and Old wings which were advertised as being fried after being smoked and then with Old Bay and BBQ Sauce. The wings did not taste fried but were cooked well. The sauce was almost indistinguishable. The good news is that my fingers remained relatively clean but there was no real flavor other then the smoked meat. Not sure if they missed the sauce?

Had apple streudel bread pudding to go, was very good, the highlight of the meal. I will probably be back to give them another shot.

This is located in a strip mall and there is too little parking in an oddly configured lot. Hopefully the mall will expand the parking as everything in this mall is very busy,