“Poor people skills”

Hampton Inn Laurel (Fort Meade Area)
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Laurel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Greenville, South Carolina
“Poor people skills”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I won't go back. Darnell [--] who at first seemed to be a very friendly Manager, I needed a remote control for my room. I walked up to the counter. Manager ignored me as he stood staring at another person's laptop. I stood there without acknowledgement for 5 minutes. I broke their silence and said, "Can I ask a quick question?" He broke his stare and looked up at me. I said, "My remote isn't working; do you have any batteries or do you have another one?" He looked irritated that I had spoken and curtly said, "Yes I do", and proceeded to stare at the other man's computer once again. I stood there until the silence was obvious. I told him that I was in room 217. I asked him if he got the number and I got no reply. I have no idea what was going on there but I know something was. I went back to my room and called corporate and asked them to get me a remote. A few minutes later, the Manager called and said that he was checking in guests and that he did not have time to bring me the remote. He went on to say that I could pick it up at the desk. I said, "That would be fine". He immediately hung up on me without a salutation of any kind...RUDE. I walked up to the desk and placed my old remote on the counter. He didn't acknowledge me again and simply placed the new one next to mine and turned and walked away. As I walked away, I told this fellow, "You know you didn't handle this right. He asked what did I say and I repeated my comment. What is up with this guy? I'd never seen him before in my life. Hampton Inn's have ALWAYS been the best. I am shocked at his behavior. Come on people! I can spend my money anywhere! Is it too much to ask for a little courtesy?

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Stacey S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Laurel (Fort Meade Area), responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Hello Devon,

I wanted to show my appreciation for your reaching out to us to share your feedback. This is very important to us as we are making great strides to improve our service and hotel. I have taken each word of your review to heart and will do everything possible to ensure that no other guest has this same experience here. I have just recently taken over managing the hotel so please be assured, I take customer service very seriously and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to stay with us again.

Stacey Schuhardt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fredericksburg, United States
Reviewed 13 January 2014

While at the front desk to correct what should have been a very minor problem with TV remote control batteries, the manager and his associate ignored my presence while playing on a tablet computer toy. I stood there for 5+ minutes and made noise to be noticed. I was still ignored. Once I finally interrupted, the manager was less than pleasant and continued to be so throughout my stay until check out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Hello James,

I am truly sorry you encounted such a negative experience while staying with us. I have just recently taken over as general manager of this hotel and will do everything possible to ensure our level of customer service improves and actually exceeds the expecations of our guests. Please think about giving us another chance as we are working very hard to make improvements. I would love to have an opporutnity to show you how we are moving in a positive direction.

Stacey Schuhardt
Montauk, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I was on a road trip and I saw a Hampton Inn sign on I-95. I figured it was an easy on and easy off location close to the interstate. Not. It was an about 4.5 miles from the highway with many turns to get there. I wasn't too crazy about the location the hotel was in. There is major construction going on in the hotel. Hopefully it will be nice when complete. Not sure I would stay here on a future visit considering the location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Darnell J, General Manager at Hampton Inn Laurel (Fort Meade Area), responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you rossvin324 for your letter alerting us to the problem you had with our property. I am sorry you have been subjected to such a frustrating series of events. We are currently renovating our property. The projects will be completed in phases and the finished product will look amazing. We pride ourselves on responding to customers' concerns very quickly, so what you have experienced is inexcusable. I extend my own apologies for the inconvenience this problem has caused you.Please contact the hotel directly so we may discuss your concerns further.
Forest City, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 December 2013

When I am in the area, about 3 times a year, this is my place to stay. They are currently remodeling the lobby. The staff have always been so easy to work with. The location is convenient to so many things and the MD/DC area. We find it easy to catch the Metro to go into DC at the Greenbelt station. Columbia/Baltimore is close as well. Right near the hotel are plenty of restaurants - I suggest Pasta Plus - and any shopping areas. This hotel is a great value and I tend to be picky about where I stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fred B
Darnell J, Manager at Hampton Inn Laurel (Fort Meade Area), responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hello FredB, thank you for the wonderful comments about your stay and for always choosing the Holiday Inn Laurel Washington DC!! We strive to make every guest experience a fun and memorable one and by your comments, it looks as if we succeeded!! I will be sharing your review with all of our staff as a motivational tool and for recognition. Anytime you are in the Laurel area, please stop by and say hello. Have a great day FredB and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!
Pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The staff and the rooms in this hotel are what you would normally expect at a Hampton Inn. However, the signature breakfast that normally comes with the Hampton Inn is LACKING...serious lacking. The main reason is the hotel is under construction. Until the construction is complete I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you George W for your comment alerting us to the problem you had with our property. I am sorry you have been subjected to such a frustrating series of events. We pride ourselves on responding to customers' concerns very quickly. I extend my own apologies for the inconvenience this problem has caused you. Please contact the hotel directly so we may discuss your concerns further.
Watertown, United States
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Very good service from beginning to end. Felt very warm and just like home. A good experience from the hotel and home to stay in the Hampton inn again. Very well located and near all shops for close shopping. Rooms were in great condition and made you feel comfortable to be there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hello MattewF, thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Laurel Washington DC!! We are extremely happy you had a wonderful time while here. We take pride in knowing that our guests have a memorable experience every time they stay with us!! Please stop in to say hello the next time your travels bring you to Laurel, have an awesome day!!
DOVER PLAINS
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Love the bedding and that you get a hot breakfast, and my hubby is happy with the coffee they provide, would recommend this hotel highly, no problems here, nice and clean, love these inns, would stay any time

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Darnell J, Manager at Hampton Inn Laurel (Fort Meade Area), responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Good day RITAL, thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Hampton Inn Laurel! We are extremely happy you had a wonderful time while here and I will share your comments with everyone at our next staff meeting. We take pride in knowing that our guests have a memorable experience every time they stay with us!! Please stop in to say hello the next time your travels bring you to Laurel, have an awesome day!!