“Nice customer service, terrible nights sleep.”

Motel 6 Washington DC Northeast - Laurel
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Laurel
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The front desk clerks were very nice and friendly. My room, on the other hand, was a nightmare. I reserved my room online and the pictures online were beautiful and comfy look. I got my key and went to my room expecting something nice. The photos online were a LIE. The room was tiny. Not meant for a family. It was the wall, AC unit, bed right next to the AC, a space of one foot, second bed, wall. No walking space at all. The bed felt like a brick. i had driven for 16 hours and wanted a good nights sleep. I woke up the next morning with a sore back feeling worse then before. However it was clean. The wifi is $2.99 a day. No breakfast. Shady neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank jco0031

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Someone took a page from Red Roof Inn, but not the same by a long shot. Renovated rooms, hard floors, flatscreen tv, new furniture, new color scheme. No where to put your clothes if your stay is more than a day or two. Cut my hand on the faucet of sink. If you come for romantic stay, dont plan to have fun in the bathroom, it is outrageously small.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

First the staff was friendly and helpful and the room was clean. Other then that... The internet is not free. I also think many of the guests are their under welfare housing. They were noisy, loud and sure did a lot of loud swearing. The rooms were small with tiny shower. Its OK for a one night stay, but no more. THe price was too high for this type hotel. With tax it was just shy of $70.00. I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank CherylnMarty
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Friendly staff, clean rooms, nice pool area. Parking lot quiet at night. Well worth the money. We stayed there for 3 weeks while working in Jessup. Nice clean laundry room. Over all, for the price, you couldn't ask for better.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank LaJeana C
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed here in July when I was in the DC area with my son. The motel was perfectly good for our needs - we were touring so we left early and came back late so we didn't have time to use the nice pool that they had. The woman at the front desk (Breidan) was friendly and made an extra effort to help us make sure that we knew about our phone calls etc. The location is great and it is not that far to get back in to DC. And the thing about DC is that there are all of these cool things that I was not expecting - the National Cryptologic Museum is at the next exit which would have been super cool to go to and we drove by the Godard Space Center every time we went in to DC. The area is convenient and when we left the DC area we were on the north side and out of DC which was just where we wanted to be.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This was the worst vacation I have ever been on. We called the Motel 6 in Laurel because it was the cheapest of the many in the area, the employee's also informed me that there was a shuttle bus from the Airport to the motel and from the motel to the Greenbelt Station Metro. None of these statements were true, After calling several times to the Motel 6 desk we finally found out the clerk wasn't even from the area and had no idea if there was a shuttle of any kind. After an hour and a half of nothing happening it cost us $53 to hire a cab. The room was paid ahead of time so we were pretty much stuck there. 7 days of bad information, bus lines that are never on time, unsecure laundry rooms, pediatric sized toilets and we couldn't wait to leave. The only saving grace was room service, everyday she was there with fresh towels and ready to clean. The Motel 6 "Highly recommends" Order Inn for room service, takes an hour to deliver and its all over-cooked and cold, we ordered a Gyro that was overstuffed with lettuce and a Turkey club on white bread. The bread on the club was (no joke) left over French toast.
The Trip to Town: Being a low income section of town the employee's of the CMRT bus line who seem to be able to make their own schedule stopped caring a long time ago unless it had something to do with a new hairdo. Barring a neck injury or whiplash after making a couple of transfers you make it to the Metro where if you are lucky you find the half of the Metro employee's who are helpful. The Metro is this cities saving grace even under construction.
Inner City: Everything in D.C. is over by 7:30 pm so plan ahead (no one told us that) some things close a lot earlier like 3:30 3:45. Before you go there thinking of The Ivory tower like it was some 20 years ago, think instead of deforestation, scorching heat, inconsiderate Segway tour-guides, slowly declining trash retrieval, and thousands of humans who don't care about anything but themselves and you have "The National Mall". If you go ready to dodge Segway's, get sunburn from the lack of trees, get photos when lucky, run most of your day to beat closing times, and buy $3 20oz sodas every ten minutes you'll be ok.
The White House: What can I say but OMG. I now know why I hear so many stories about how often the President is on vacation. I would be embarrassed to live there. I understand large cities have pollution but this is horrible for the home of the our nations leader, the particular head of state is irrelevant, this is a lack of respect by us. I approached The White House after dark to get the photos of the lighting I wanted from the direction of "Freedom Park" where revelers danced to live music and it was nice...cross the street and I stumbled into the Pershing Monument where all of a sudden I feared for my safety.
When it works: When we were able to see a sight or visit a museum that didn't require someone unknown giving garbage facts, it was good. Most of the Smithsonian Institutes buildings you can tour at your own pace and have a decent time. But if you want to visit something like the Holocaust Museum you need to know ahead of time in 100 degree weather that the drink you just bought before you got in line to go inside is now going to waste once you get to the door because you can't bring it inside.

Room Tip: Find a hotel near the airport you want to get the services you need...2 miles from the airport the s...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Washington DC Northeast - Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear Isaac L – We apologize for the incorrect information you received regarding transportation during your recent stay and for the unsatisfactory experience you encountered with the Order Inn service. Please consider contacting our guest relations department so we can have a record of your experience to serve you better in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

I drive between my homes in Florida and New England once a year, and I decided to stay here because it is about 2/3 of the way to my home in Vermont and it was the only property in the area that wasn't going to charge me an arm and a leg for my cat. In fact, they didn't charge me anything. It's a typical Motel 6 - the rooms are small and spare but clean. And the staff is perfectly lovely. I would stay here again except there are too many sketchy characters loitering around the property and coming and going at all hours. Despite the time and effort involved, I unloaded and reloaded my car of anything remotely valuable. The domestic disturbance in the next room (complete with banging on the walls, yelling and door slamming) at 5:30am was a lovely bonus given that I am a light sleeper and insomniac and had a real problem getting back to sleep. Given that the clientele is nothing that the property management can do anything about, I will probably take a pass next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo