“Think twice before you pick this hotel.....”

Days Inn & Suites Laurel Near Fort Meade
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Laurel
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I signed up for a 2 Bed Queen Executive Suite online, when I arrived at the hotel I was given a regular 2 bed queen room. This was clearly not the room I wanted to stay in, I was told that I would have to pay more money in order to stay in the executive suite.(REALLY). My comformation from the hotel clearly stated a 2 Bed Queen Executive Suite and the clerk was not willing to give me what I had aready been charged for. She said oh do you want to cancel (what) the contract states that if you cancel you will be charged 89.00 and other fees. (Really I'm just going to give you 89.00 + for nothing). I room was not up to my standards of a quality hotel. I could have gotten better for the price paid. Don't reserve online book in person so you can see what you are getting into.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Days Inn & Suites Laurel Near Fort Meade

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had been allocated a room (139) in the separate block and found it very convenient and that explained what I couldn't understand when booking, so I was able to park outside my door and didn't find it too inconvenient having to go to the main building for Breakfast and use of the Business Centre. The location was at right angles to a very busy road, so I was not disturbed by traffic noise and the room was very clean, well appointed and comfortable and I enjoyed my 4 nights stay.

Room Tip: Be aware that there 2 buildings as you may have a preference for either an outside or inside entranc...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ManicUSAVisitor
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We chose this hotel based primarily on the reviews and our expectations were met. Our group is pretty well traveled and this hotel is typical of the places we normally stay.

The Room:
Our family of five stayed in one of the suites, with two king size beds and a twin size sofa bed. The room is equipped with a decent size flat screen TV, a desk and chair, a table with two chairs and a dresser. For the size of the room, I expected more drawer space. There are an abundance of night stands and lighting, but only three drawers for a room that sleeps five. A larger dresser would have been great. Maybe swap out the dresser for a chest of drawers to gain storage without losing floor space.

The beds are comfy but the sofa bed (as a bed) has seen better days. It is about as comfortable as one might expect a sofa bed to be. I found that slipping the chair cushion under the mattress provided enough padding so it didn't feel like I was sleeping directly on the metal support frame. Also, when we arrived the bed was made with only a sheet to cover the mattress, no flat sheet and no blanket, but when I went to the front desk they gave me an extra sheet and blanket without delay.

Plenty of outlets! Call me easily amused but this was a highlight. Even when traveling alone, I find that most hotel rooms have a shortage of electric outlets for charging modern devices - phone, computer, camera. For our large group, I was worried we'd have to share one or two outlets Not only were there several available but they were also easily accessible and not hidden behind heavy furniture.

Housekeeping:
I have only small complaints about housekeeping. For the six nights we were there, our room was made up only 4 times. The cleaning staff comes by early (like 9am) and if you're still in your room they won't clean and they don't come back. When they did clean our room, the sofa bed was not made up for three of the four times they cleaned during our stay. Not a big deal but it would have been nice to come back to a tidy bed like the other two in our room. Clearly they are capable of it because on the one day, it was made with tucked sheets and a fold down.

The room as we found it had only three bath towels. I asked at the front desk for two more. Unfortunately, when our room was cleaned they took five towels and replaced only three and each day I had to ask for more. What's odd is they intentionally gave us multiple shampoo bottles and soaps to accommodate our larger group but failed with the towels.

There aren't many, which is probably why the room rate was lower than other places we considered before making our reservation. There is no pool and the fitness room is tiny. The guest laundry room did not have a working dryer and apparently they have no plans to repair it.

They make up for this with an outstanding breakfast, but there were bumps in the service. Although there were no pastries, only bread for toast (no bagels, sadly) with butter, peanut butter and jelly, there was also a selection of juices, cereal & milk, and a variety of yogurt. The hot oatmeal and scrambled eggs was an added bonus you don't normally see and there was enough choice to please everyone in the family. The problem was they did not seem prepared for the number of guests who wanted breakfast. Every day they ran out of juice and eggs and made no effort to replenish during the short breakfast service. If you're going to eat breakfast, arrive EARLY. We stored bagels and cream cheese purchased at the local grocery store in our room fridge and used the toaster in the breakfast room each day.

Location:
I think this depends on your preferred mode of transport. Normally, we prefer public transit and since our destination was downtown DC we had to travel by car for quite a bit to reach the nearest Metro station. But for the day trip into Baltimore, we were really close to the expressway, making it super convenient for driving. The hotel is also reasonably close to several shopping areas, which was handy for picking up those inevitable forgotten items.

Staff:
All of the people I dealt with were pleasant and accommodating. During our stay, I received several packages, asked for directions, asked (repeatedly) for extra towels, asked for change and asked for recommendations on local dining. The staff was always attentive and polite.

Overall Value:
All things considered, this is a good value for the cost of the room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JanTraveler2014
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

My family of four stayed for two nights. Overall, the place was clean, quiet, with a decent continental breakfast and a reasonable cost.

One thing that was strange. One day we left the room at around 11:30 am, and took the "do not disturb" sign off. We returned to the room for a half hour around 3 pm, but otherwise we're gone until 10 pm. We returned to find that the room had not been serviced. Then, the next morning, at about 9 am and with our "do not disturb" sign on, a housekeeper opened our door and started to come in; she didn't bother to even knock, never mind the fact she shouldn't have been bothering us in the first place. Moreover, she stood in the door attempting to have a conversation with me in Spanish, which unfortunately i do not speak.

Kind of strange, but nevertheless, the overall stay was fine.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We reserved this accommodation under Trip Advisor and got a very good price. The room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, oatmeal, different breads, juices, and more, much better than the usual continental breakfast you get at many other motels. Location is in the main area of Laurel and near the major highways between Washington and Baltimore. for those wishing to see Baltimore and Washington for a few days, but not overpay for a room, this is a good choice. Also some of the rooms have a door to the adjacent room to accommodate peoples/families traveling together, etc.

Room Tip: Book through Trip Advisor.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

None of our issues were resolved! And 4 days after we returned home no member of management has contacted me. Please explain how a key to our room was given out at 3:30 am. My children, mother-in-law, husband and I were in the room. No sleep for the adults.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn