“Just what we needed.”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Laurel
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We just needed an inexpensive, nice hotel to stay for the night and this was it. Staff was friendly, accommodations were clean. If we're ever back in Laurel, MD, we'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
AdamGMLaurel, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2011

Hi, My name is Adam Shiel and I am the General Manager of the Fairfield Inn Laurel. I wanted to take a moment to thank you for writing a review on the hotel. It is so appreciated that your experience was a positive one and that you wanted to share it with the folks on Tripadvisor. We truly want to make sure each one of guests have a great stay with us! I hope that we see you in the near future! Have a great summer!!

Reviewed 24 June 2011

At 8:30PM on the road from SC to NY, I stopped here for the night. The 80 yr old man ahead of me was asked if he had AARP or AAA and he said no. He was quote a $149/night price and started to walk out when the person at the desk offered $109/night. He took it and was gone. Then it was my turn. I had both AARP and AAA and was quoted $119 a night. Excuse me? When I confronted her about the man ahead of me she dropped it, unwillingly, to what the old guy was paying. Guess anything goes at this lovely establishment! Then got to my room and there was ONE bath towel, ONE washcloth..COME ON PEOPLE!!!

Room Tip: Guide to the best room? Check in early ,
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
AdamGMLaurel, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

My name is Adam Shiel and I am the General Manager of the Fairfield Inn laurel. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. I have to apologize that there was a mistake with how the rates were given to you. We have some new staff at the front desk and they made the mistake of offering different rates for you compared to the gentleman in front of you. Depending on the day of the week our room types have different rates, I was thinking possibly the gentleman in front of you had a less expensive room type than the one you were given. Either way I apologize that you left the hotel with a bad impression and that your room was not stocked properly with towels. I hope that if you return the hotel you will see that your experience will be a positive one. Thank you again for taking the time to comment and I hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2011

Fairfield is the low end of the Marriott, but still this one was worse than disappointing. Mother and daughter arrived @ 10 PM on Sat nite, not exactly a busy time. Desk clerk was engrossed in tv, blaring across the lobby. Ck in took about 20 minutes, mostly because she couldn't take her eyes off the tv and kept making mistakes and having to re-do. She was clearly not the least bit interested in providing customer service. I asked where to park, and she said "In the lot". I asked how to get to the room, and she said, "Go down there, to the elevators", and gestured down a hallway that had several hallways coming off it, and many turns to choose from. Several times I asked questions and got no reply, as she was watching tv and not paying attention to her duties. I went out to park, and found "the lot" to be very dark and scary. I found our room after wandering around looking for the elevators, and entered the room TO FIND IT WAS ALREADY OCCUPIED!!! The occupants were quite angry and yelled and cursed at me, which, although terrifying, I could understand how they felt, with someone walking into their room at 10:30 at night. I went back to the desk, and the desk clerk was just as unconcerned as she had been when she checked me in. I asked for an explanation about how such a mistake should be made, and she said that "someone" had checked in a guest and not put it into the system. I explained that that made no sense at all. I asked how she "the system" could let her check into a room that had already been occupied and she said it wasn't occupied, or else she couldn't have given me the key. I said that it surely was occupied, and she just shrugged. She said all she could do was "try to find me another room". I reminded her that I needed a quiet room, away from the elevator and ice, as my reservation had indicated, and I wanted assurance that the room I was given was not already occupied. She said that it is not possible to assign a room that is already occupied.(???) I asked if she would go up the the next room and check to make sure it was unoccupied, and she agreed. She really was not the least bit concerned, although she did say blandly, "I apologize for your trouble". By this time it was about 10:45. She took me to the room, which was across from the elevators. The room was small, and like the hallway smelled of mold. There was a strange screeching sound coming from the basement area of the building, and highway noises, as we'd been placed on the noisy side of the bldg, despite my asking for a quiet room. I turned on the fan to mask the noise, but it screeched and also cycled on/off. The beds had no mattress pads and were quite hard and lumpy. The bathroom was not clean, but there were disposable glasses. There were two towels and two face cloths, so not very well equipped. When we checked out the clerk was on a personal call, so I waited while he finished. I told him I needed to put the charges on a Marriott vacation card, and he said that would "take a while, and maybe I wouldn't want to wait". I told him I wanted him to do it as quickly as possible, and the card was simply run through just like a credit card and the other charges needed to be voided. He sighed and said he's have to call his manager. Fortunately, his manager was available, and she walked him through the transaction, but it did "take a while", like 20 minutes. So between the 45 minutes spent at check in and the 20 minutes spent checking out, I spent an HOUR getting into and out of this awful place mostly because the staff are poorly trained and really not interested in doing better. They are also not at all polite. I was very happy to be leaving. The breakfast, by the way, was about average, and the lady setting up the food there was pleasant and cheerful. (The other help could certainly take some lessons from her!) I did send the manager a note and also wrote about my experience in the online survey, but there was no follow up from either. Altogether poor service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nhpotato
Reviewed 9 March 2011

After a HORRIBLE experience at Courtyard Marriott South Portland Maine, I had sworn off any and all Marriott properties forever. However, I did have this reservation and the room was free because I used up my Marriott Rewards points. Well, this may be the turn around on my feelings on Marriott. This was a wonderful hotel. The staff was courteous and helpful from the moment we walked in until we left 2 days later. The only issue I can really say was, I wish the breakfast staff was a little friendlier. But, that did not damper my stay at all. We requested a refrigerator and the girl at the desk put an order in and we had one delivered to our room quickly. The hotel itself was neat and spotlessly clean. I have stayed in several Marriott properties over the years and this is BY FAR the nicest one I have stayed in. It was also convenient to anything and everything you could possibly need or want. We will be making a return trip in August for my grandfather’s 90th birthday and we plan on putting a call in for reservations here. Thank you to the staff that made our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

My name is Adam Shiel and I am the General Manager of the Fairfield Inn Laurel. I wanted to take a moment and thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I'm very pleased to hear that you had a great experience with us and will be making a return visit. I apologize that you felt the breakfast staff was less than friendly as we make it a point to provide excellent customer service. I hope that when you return in August that you leave with an impression that the entire staff that you come in contact with provided you with a great experience!. I look forward to your next stay with us and I hope I get the chance to say "hello".

Reviewed 27 July 2010

It was okay for a stop-through, but not on the level that I'm used to all. The beds were comfortable. The room was clean. The staff were friendly. It just had a "blah" feel to it, though. Too much light shone in from the hallway because the door was not flush against the floor and sides. There were no informational-type booklets in the room. Nothing about the hotel and its surroundings. Nothing grand.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
GMFairfieldInnLaurel, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2010

My name is Dan Jasinski and I am the General Manager for the Fairfield Inn Laurel. I wanted to thank you for your feedback concerning the hotel. I appreciate the comments concerning the comfort of the bed, the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff. I wanted to apologize for the issue you had with the light through the door. It is something I will definitely note and look into a solution. It is comments such as those that can make out hotel better.
I apologize for the lack of information for the surrounding area. The area has a lot to offer and obviously the hotel needs to do a better job of communicating that to our guests.

I am hopeful that your next stay the hotel can provide you with more information

Reviewed 24 July 2010

The beds were comfortable even though the hotel was outdated.
However when we asked for an extra blanket (IN JULY) we were told they had none available.
The extra blanket was needed due to the outdated ventilation system which never shut off the fan.
The breakfast buffet was subpar by typical hot breakfast standards with poor quality food/ poor quantity available and totally unusable on weekends due to crowds. If they are typically that busy during busy season then they need to adjust breakfast buffet area.
Pool: closed at 8pm!
i assume based on crowds that most people were staying there due to close metro station and free parking at metros on weekends. If this is true then i dont know who could get back and relax in pool after trudging through steaming hot DC by 8pm.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tmt14

My name is Dan Jasinski and I am the General Manager for the Fairfield Inn Laurel. I wanted to take the time to respond to your feedback concerning your stay at the hotel. Thank you for your positive comments concerning the comfort of the beds.
It is important to us that you stay is as comfortable as possible. I wanted to apologize for the breakfast in which you encountered crowds and poor food quality. The breakfast is an important amenity and the Fairfield Inn brand just recently updated the offering on the breakfast. I am hopeful that next time you experience breakfast at this hotel it will be a better experience. Also I understand your frustration as it related to the pool hours. I will definitely look into expanding the pool hours later particularly on the weekends. By law we are required to have a lifeguard on staff when the pool is open so this limits the hours available. You make a great point on wanting to relax after a long hot day in DC.

I look forward to seeing you again at the hotel and hopefully your next experience will be a better one

Reviewed 11 May 2010

I stayed here for one night with a bunch of business colleagues. The hotel is clean, and the rooms are not spacious, but adequate. I was really impressed with the shower. I had a handicapped room with a removable slide-bar fixture, but I don't know if this is standard in all rooms. The pressure was great and a great shower head! They put out a decent complimentary breakfast. It consisted of most of the normal fare, but with the added bonus of a microwavable bacon, egg and cheese sandwich that was pretty tasty. There are several restaurants within walking distance, including a Famous Dave's BBQ and a Greene Turtle.

The hotel is set back a bit from busy Route 1, and they must have sound insulating windows. My room faced the road, but the traffic noise didn't bother me at all. The only real drawback is that you cannot turn left onto US 1 from the street on which the hotel is located. The front desk clerk suggested that we cut through a parking lot across the street, and turn left from there - - kinda funky, but it worked.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

My name is Dan Jasinski and I am the General Manager for the Fairfield Inn in Laurel, MD. I wanted to take the time to thank you for your feedback concerning your stay at the Fairfield Inn. Your feedback on the breakfast and the shower are most appreciated. I apologize for the traffic issue but as the front desk agent stated there are some ways to help work through it. I look forward to seeing you again at the hotel.