“Could be a 5 but not there yet”

Fairfield Inn Laurel
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Laurel
Forest, Virginia
“Could be a 5 but not there yet”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

This Fairfield is located close to DC & Baltimore in an area that looks to be in transition that is convenient to shopping & restaurants. I'm pretty sure it has been through a recent renovation because everything seems to be sparkling and new which is a good thing. My king room was very nice and spacious but had a couple of shortcomings:

1) Being a regular business traveler (3-4 nights/week) I like hotels that have some sort of sofa, loves seat or comfortable chair to sit on at night while watching TV & relaxing. This large room could have easily accommodated an easy-chair but there was a bare-bones chair with a very upright back and very uncomfortable. There was a nice large ottoman but matched with that chair it was pretty much useless after a few minutes. I ended up putting a pillow in the mesh desk chair and putting my legs up on the bed but still paid the price with back pain.

2) I had a cubby-hole with the furniture-stand to hold the microwave & fridge but there was nothing on it. I missed the microwave since I couldn't pop popcorn and usually once a week I get dinner from a grocery store deli. There was a fridge in the room but it was very noisy while trying to sleep. It made a clicking noise constantly and I finally had to get up and unplug it which brings me to my final issue.

3) The PTAC or through the wall heating & AC unit did not have the standard "continuous fan" feature that provides better air circulation and that "white-noise" that covers up those little annoying noises that keep you awake in hotel rooms. The 2nd night I found a white-noise generating app for my iPad that solved the problem.

4) There was some sort of energy-saving light switch in the bathroom that I'm not sure if it was a timer or motion-sensing that was very annoying especially after the lights went out both mornings while I was in the shower.

Now for the positives - spacious rooms, sparkling clean, everything new, small but nice workout room, good breakfast area, reasonable rates and convenient to DC, Baltimore, I-95 and lots of restaurants & shopping. Also, Jamar that checked me in was very personable, professional and thorough.

I would definitely return here because I feel like the negatives are fixable and I know what to expect on my next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank GRofVA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Allenstown, New Hampshire
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I always stay at Marriotts and most of the time I don't know where I'll be staying until a couple of hours before the end of the day. I use the IOS Marriott app and it works great!, This place was one of my better stays, big, clean and was thanked for being a Marriott member. Most importantly it has high internet speeds so I could stream things from my tablet to the TV. I would highly recommend this location to anyone needing a place to stay. I have added it my preferred list so if I have to be here again I will surely stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Sicklerville, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

It has been a couple of years since I had stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Laurel, MD and I am so happy that I came back. I was greeted by a wonderful guy and after giving me my room key and saying that he hopes that I enjoy my room, I asked if the fitness center was still down the hall and he told me that it was behind me now. He then explained the renovations that they have done to the place and the place looks great. The fitness center is totally worth spending time in now! No need to run the stairs or do push-ups in the room anymore. The hallways were redone as well as the breakfast area. The wi-if access provided a very strong signal to my room so I was able to get my work done quickly without interruption.
Can't wait to be back in the area.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael D
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Michael-

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you found the new additions to your liking. We did undergo renovations recently and a few things were changed and other added such as the hot breakfast.
I am also pleased that you were treated well by the staff members that you interacted with.
Once again, thank you for your business and your feedback.
Bombay
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here overnight with family on our trip to the south from Toronto. Loved our stay, hotel is very neat, good food is also served in the morning. Front desk was friendly n welcoming.
Will not hesitate to come back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are honored and humbled by your positive comments.

We were recently renovated, and the brand added the new hot breakfast items that have been well received. Despite the additions, staff service is what makes guest such as you return and I am happy to hear that the staff here was friendly and very welcoming.

We are honored to have earned your return business.

Kindest regards,
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed with family over a long swimming event (Tom Dolan Invitational) weekend and enjoyed ourselves. The room was comfortable, the free breakfast quite good, and, best of all, the front desk staff was friendly, superb, and helpful. I needed to ask for a 1 pm checkout, and the staff quickly accommodated us. Well done!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Swimmer Dad-

First of all, thank you for your business; it is very much appreciated.

We are also humbled that you took the time to provide some feedback about your recent stay with us. Your words assist us in identifying what we are doing well and were we can improve.

I am pleased that, you not only found your room comfortable but that the breakfast was quite good as well.

All the amenities we offer are tied together by the staff that we have on hand here at the hotel. I am pleased that not only were they friendly, but helpful as well.
On behalf of everyone here at the hotel, we are honored to have been of service.

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I would highly recommend a stay here. Everything was what I expected from a Marriott-owned properity. The king-sized bed was very clean and comfortable. The front desk service was outstanding. Even the breakfast was tasty! I have stayed in other hotels that served low-grade breakfast but this one was quite nice.

I live in the Laurel area and now I know that if I need a local hotel stay - this is definitely the place for me!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Tony R-

Thank you for you review and your recommendations as well.

I am very pleased that we are a home away from home for you. The staff and I are pleased to have earned your return business.

We have recently upgraded the facilities here and the breakfast offerings as well, I am happy that all are well received.

Once again, thank you for your business and your vote of confidence.
Orem
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have stayed here many times because it is the only Marriott property in Laurel close to family. We were pleasantly surprised by the new renovations. The carpeting is very soft in the hallways and the new room furnishings are very nice, especially the extra outlets at the desk area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bombay-GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Laurel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Ralph-

Thank you for this review and for being repeat customer as well.

I am very happy to hear you were pleased with the upgrades that were done to the property. The room upgrades as well as the new offerings for breakfast we believe enhance our guest stays.

If there is anything we can do to make you future travels to the Laurel area much better, please let me know.

Once again thank you for the review and your repeat business.