“Crabs served and made to smile”

Kevin's Corner Kafe
Ranked #3 of 35 Restaurants in Leonardtown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Leonardtown, Maryland
“Crabs served and made to smile”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

(Diners: Hubby, myself and 7 yo kiddo.) We had been searching for a decent seafood place in Southern MD for quite some time and I think we finally found it. Kevin's is a fabulous little place to take a family or a somewhat casual date. The atmosphere is cutesy-homey and the folks who run it are very personable and not afraid to answer any questions and will tweak things to be just how you like it. (You can get it broiled, fried, blackened or battered--oh my!) The prices are very reasonable for seafood and all the veggies we had were freshly made, no canned stuff here. The grilled squash (special) was very nice with my meal. We tried many things and had the kid along who really enjoyed the popcorn shrimp. We also got him the chicken tenders, but the batter on those could have used more flavor. The tenders were not frozen and were juicy, so points there for sure! They did offer sauces to go with, but kiddo is a ketchup guy and likes his meats seasoned, not sauced, so we'll just do fish next time. He and I both really enjoyed the popcorn shrimp. The fries were even really excellently done. One can tell that the oil is really fresh and each one had delightful little crispy bits on the outside while being soft and flavorful inside, making them excellent sides for seafood. My broiled scallops were, honestly, some of the best I've ever had. They were the "dry" type and cooked perfectly and seasoned very nicely. The coleslaw had wonderful flavor, not too sweet, like many are and just the right amount of pepper.
We also tried the creamy crab soup. My son loved it and said he would come back just for that alone. Even though it was a bit peppery, (how I like it) it was chock full of crab and perfect temperature for us to enjoy. Hubby got a big platter with and assortment of things. Most of which were battered. The rock fish was a standout and excellently prepared. The only two somewhat letdowns were the batter and the crab cake. The batter on things just needs more flavor. Or, perhaps offer two styles of batter (something no one does anymore) one for dipping-- plain and one for straight up eating-- seasoned. Also, the crab cake was just a bit burnt and the flavor was lacking any tang. It may have needed a kick of onion or some lemon rind, not sure. But there was enough crab in it to feed a whale. Big points there as many places seem to just stuff them full of bread crumbs; that's definitely not the case at Kevin's. Our only other nitpick was that there were no real desserts offered. A nice slice of key lime or lemon pie is always my go-to after a fish dinner. Even a slice of orange cake would have been a nice ending for us, as we normally don't drink dessert wine at the end of a meal or if we are driving. I wanted coffee, but passed when I realized there was no real dessert selection. (Perhaps contract with the nice pastry shop in Wildewood, guys. They make awesome and cakes!) My son was endlessly entertained by the host's mention of serving him "fish eyes". He thought maybe a "Little Skipper Fish Eye sundae" would be cool with candy "eyes". Anyway, the meal was good overall, the atmosphere relaxed, even while busy, and the portions were spot on for the price. We will return and that's saying a lot as we don't eat out often. I will click reservations accepted, although I don't know if they do, but I don't see why not.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Key T

Calabash, North Carolina
“pricey”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

good food, but spicy. expensive nice lil restaurant 3 blocks from hotel but off the main street. good seafood choices

Visited July 2014
1 Thank omnidrew
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A hidden treasure for sure and so good”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Okay I will start off with I loved this place! I was actually looking for another place to get crabs. I was in Maryland and if I didn't get crabs, real Maryland Blue Crabs I was going to be upset. Fine the other place and it did not look that great from the outside. So off to look for something else, I saw a small sign for Kevin's and it was on the list of possible places to eat that I made before I left. It was kind of hidden and the parking lot scared me a little as I wasn't sure where to park. So we get in and I was in love. Small, quaint and charming. I saw the price of crabs (it was a very bad year for the crab crop, so they are a little bit pricey), I passed, but I got my crab in the form of crab balls (Kevin's only uses locally caught crabs so they were the real deal), they were so incredibly yummy!!!!!!!!!! I had them with sweet potato fries. To start off, my mother (who is not a fan of crabs) had the cream of crab soup. I had never had this soup before and it was incredible! I wish I could have taken some home. The staff was very friendly, I had a nice time talking with our waitress and Kevin was there too, he is such a nice guy. If you ever find yourself in Leonardtown, Maryland please stop by, I will!

• Visited June 2014
Lusby, Maryland
“Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We found this restaurant by accident. It is tucked away behind a GMC dealership with no sign pointing the way. It is a casual place. We walked in and was greeted by a chipper waitress. She was very friendly and informative. You order at the counter and the waitress brings the food to you. Drinks are self-serve. My husband ordered the double bacon cheeseburger and fries. It was $6.99 and he loved it. It was huge, spilling over the sides of the bun. The fries were crispy and amazing with Old Bay sprinkled on them. I had the crab cake sandwich. It was $12.75. It was delicious. Very little fillers and nice and crispy on the outside. We will definitely go back to try some of the other menu items.

• Visited June 2014
“Best seafood in Southern Maryland”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Kevin's is the epitome of southern Maryland food and hospitality. You won't find a better place for that good ole feeling. The food and atmosphere will win you over, but Kevin's hands on approach are second to known.