Extended Stay America - Baltimore - BWl Airport - International Dr.
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Phoenix
“Not as bad as others say”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I was reluctant to keep my reservation after reading the other reviews. Much of the negatives others have written are either false or have been corrected. In either case, this hotel is just fine for a short or longer term stay.
The negatives: Short on frills. No pool, no fitness or business center, no breakfast, no airport shuttle, few restaurants in walking distance. The hotel is an extended stay property and many of the guests are traveling contractors and the like. So it wasn't difficult to find empty beer bottles on the grounds but not to excess. The hotel is in a business park so weekends are very quiet.
The positives: Clean, modern rooms, small kitchen with a full size fridge, relatively comfortable bed, quiet, and a friendly helpfull staff.
I found a weekend rate that was 1/2 of what other hotels in the area were charging.

In short, I would reccomend this hotel if all you need is a safe, clean and reasonable place to stay for a night or two.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Baltimore
Reviewed 30 December 2009

Here’s what you can expect when you first check in:
The rooms are very small, and the kitchen is hardly useful. There is no dishwasher, no dish soap, no range, and only 2 of each dish. The dishes are dirty upon arrival, and mine had food caked onto them even. The microwave is filthy and most of them barely work. The TV was damaged and you get a dozen different stations. The bathrooms are very dirty and will often still have soap scum, hair, and whatever crap stuck to the sink and tub. The Internet moves extremely slowly, making most things a complete pain to do, like opening pages with a lot of Flash on them, or the like. The rooms smell horrible. They smell like stale cigarettes and body odor. I tried airing out the room for an hour at a time (despite the below freezing weather) and it just doesn’t help. The problem is that the heating unit for all of the rooms is connected, meaning if someone lights up a cigarette down the hall, you will smell it in your room, or if someone burns some popcorn downstairs, you will smell it. Unless you turn the heater off, you get every bad smell in the building right in your room.

The staff is very mixed. Some people are very helpful, some people, not so much. When I first got there, they gave me my room key and I went to my room only to find that someone was already staying there, so they tell me they don’t have a room for me. After a lot of disjointed and confused phone calls, they finally place me in a room.

I had extra charges thrown randomly on my bill and yet no one seems to have any clue as to where they came from. No one seems to know much of anything around here. It's really irritating that they are so disorganized, meanwhile, I've got an extra $500 on my tab that I do not owe and no one has a clue how to get rid of it.

Also, you ever wonder why they don’t include pictures of the rooms online? Maybe it’s because if you saw the rooms, most people would be turned off immediately. They are small, dirty, not well ventilated, and the “kitchen” is a total joke. The rooms look nothing like the floorplan included in the pictures. If you want to save a little money on a place, just go to Motel 6 or something, but this really isn’t worth the money and aggravation.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank FlippyMcDoogle
Hawaii
Reviewed 20 July 2009

The Homestead consists of three main two-storied buildings and one or two outbuildings. Only ten minutes from BWI airport, it cost a mere sixty-some dollars a day for the week I stayed here. There is a movie theatre next door for entertainment purposes, a Ruby Tuesdays across the street for meal purposes, and a Wendy's a parking lot away (for snacks). Other than that, nothing is within walking distance of this hotel.

The rooms are spacious and have full cooking amenities provided (like real silverware). Tubs are clean enough to bathe in; this is of note, I've been to some hotels I barely feel safe showering in. The maids only come around once a week to tidy up and replace towels, though, and if you want them to come by more often you must pay additional service fees.

Speaking of service fees, you are charged a one time fee for WiFi. It was slow for me, but it got the job done.

The clerks at the front desk are courteous and friendly, but for security reasons, one must use a phone to dial the front desk in order to access the main lobby. Also annoying, the front desk closes at nighttime and doesn't open until 0700, so if you're trying to check out while they are closed, you might have to jump through a few hoops.

Recommend staying here if you are on a tight budget and don't mind giving up a few luxuries.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank hawaiianthunder
Virginia
Reviewed 27 October 2008

I checked in late and the desk clerk was friendly and helpful. I was not suprised when the room was sparse and older, since I had paid a very reasonable rate.

I was awakened at 12:30 am by banging on the door of the room next to me and kept awake until 3:30 am by loud, violent voices, things being thrown against the wall, doors slamming. I tried to call the front desk twice but got no answer. I was fully prepared to pack up and leave, but to be honest, I was afraid to leave my room.

They left the room next to mine around 3:30 and did not return before I checked out at 7:00. I mentioned the problem to the front desk clerk when I checked out and she was very apologetic. I have written their headquarters and not received a reply.

I would not recommend this hotel nor will I ever stay there again.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Dangerous environment
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank rebeccacovb
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 27 May 2008

I stayed in this hotel during memorial day 2008. It was much better than poor reviews it has got. I arrived at 2AM in night and there was person at the desk during that hour! (of course I call the hotel on the day of checkin for inform late arrival - its a standard practice I follow). Everything about the hotel was good.

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 February 2006

My husband and I recently spent a week at Homestead Studio and Suites nearby BWI based on the positive reviews that it received on Tripadvisor, but we were disappointed by the less than professional customer service we received.

We asked for clean sheets because they were dirty, but the sheets never arrived until a couple of days later when the helpful desk clerk personally brought them up. We noticed that the kitchen lacked a sponge to clean the dishes with so we asked for one on the first day we arrived. We did not receive it until nearly a week later, after making three more requests.

We repeatedly asked for full clean-up service, which we were entitled to as our stay was longer than a week, but it was never performed. We were in the room for half an hour to shower and get ready on the day the cleaning personnel was around, during which time the "Do Not Disturb" sign was hung up. However, the cleaning personnel neglected to check again and failed to clean the room on the day it was scheduled. We were assured that our room would be cleaned the next day and we were told to talk to the cleaning person ourselves to remind him. When we asked the individual responsible for cleaning our room, he informed us he didn't have us scheduled as he had a second job he was rushing off to. He gave us some fresh towels and left us the cleaning agents and rags so we could clean the room ourselves.

When we checked out of Homestead, we noticed that our bill was calculated at a higher price than the discounted weekly-rate that we were promised on the phone. While this was an honest mistake and quickly corrected, it was nevertheless another indication of the lack of attention to details and customer service that plague this establishment.

Stayed February 2006