“Uneven Experience”

Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Pittsburgh, PA
“Uneven Experience”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

After checking Hilton website, I called the hotel directly to ask some questions. Although they would not match the Hilton website rate, I booked directly through the hotel. When I made the reservation the night before our arrival, I specifically asked if the pool and hot tub were working. I was told that they were. When we arrived the next evening, we went down to the hot tub only to find out that the hot tub heater was broken. We, along with several other guests, were disappointed. When we asked one of the other people there if the hotel knew the hot tub was not working, the person told us that it had been broken for a couple of days, including the night before when I had asked about it and made our reservation. As it turned out, the person that we were talking to was actually an employee of the hotel. In a bizarre twist, all of the hotel employees (maids, maintenance workers, etc.) along with their families were allowed to use the pool, hot tub and exercise room on the Saturday night that we were staying there. It resulted in an extremely overcrowded pool area and a scene reminiscent of the pool scene in "Caddyshack". It was completely unexpected at a Hilton Inn. We also found one of the maids' pass keys on a table by the elevator (which could have been used to gain access to any of the rooms) and turned it in to the front desk. The hotel is located in a business park setting near the airport. After waiting over 10 minutes to get into a half-empty Bob Evans restaurant next door to the Hilton, we left and went a few blocks further to a Ruby Tuesday's restaurant. The food and service at Ruby Tuesday's were excellent.

On the positive side, the rooms were clean and beautifully decorated and the beds (with customized sleep settings) and pillows (both down and foam) were extremely comfortable. The breakfast buffet was also excellent.

Overall, however, based upon our experience, we would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank PghZorro
JackieMHilton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for choosing Hilton Garden Inn BWI and taking time to inform us of your observations. We here at Hilton Garden Inn BWI take pride in the appearance and cleanliness of our hotel, we are appreciate your compliment!

The pool/hot tub is a great area for our guest to have fun or just relax. However, this area is not open to our staff members. I spoke with the lifeguard, and he told me about a busy Saturday night that he had a few weeks ago. He informed that at no point did he allow any staff member to hang out in the pool area, and the large crowd was due to a function that was held at our property that weekend. I want to say thank you bringing your observations to my attention.

We hope that you stay with us again in the future, we would be honored to have you back! I would glad to help create any future reservations for you. I can be reached directly at 410-691-0507. Thanks again, for your time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Glen Cove, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Needing to be in the suburban Baltimore area for an early business meeting tomorrow I decided I'd drive in tonight and get a room. I generally don't like the Garden Inn brand by Hilton but since I'm a HiltonHonors member I decided to give it a try. I'm so happy I did. I was a bit grumpy from the long drive and when I walked into the lobby I was met with the most wonderful smile and vivacious personality of a front desk clerk named Margaret. Her infectous tsmile urned my grouchiness to happiness. I had completely forgot about my HiltonHonors but Margaret reminded me and even looked up my number as I had left my card at home. The room was very clean and standard for a Hilton property but as I only needed a comfortable place to stay so it more than met my expectations. Margaret apparently not only serves as the front desk clerk but also the concierge. She recommended the most wonderful restaurant for Maryland blue claw crab cakes (even though she said she didn't eat them herself). I passed the front desk 3 times in the course of the night and each time was greeted with a hello and a smile. I must say I am more than happy with my experience and will no longer be reticent about staying in a Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jackfromnyc
Dear Valued Guest:

We are glad that you decided to take the trip and stay with us! Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to you staying with us again, and hopefully you get to meet the rest of the wonderful staff at the hotel! Hope to see you soon!
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Probably the first mistake was made by me. We have stayed in several Hilton Garden Inns and all of them were two room suites, with a half wall dividing the sleeping area from the living area. There is a huge flat screen TV that rotates between these two rooms.

I was, therefore, shocked when we entered our room in Baltimore only to discover that we were in a regular, if somewhat smaller than normal, hotel room. With both of our suitcases open there was barely room for us to stand.

Apart from the size of the room, almost everything else met the standard of a Hilton property. The free wi-fi worked well. The room was immaculate. The towels were fluffy. The water was hot. There were several pillows from which to select just the right pillow, and the bed was comfortable. There was a flat screen TV; although it was a bit small.

My biggest problem with this property is in the construction. The walls are exceptionally thin, and the doors are very heavy. Every time someone opens a door and allows it to close the entire wall vibrates and the noise is dreadful. If you are staying in this hotel when it is filled with teens, as it was on the night we were there, you can expect your sleep to be disturbed.

The second mistake we made was tolerating this situation for several sleepless hours. Once we requested that the front desk intervene everything became quiet and we were able to sleep.

Overall, we had a good experience at this hotel. We were disappointed because of our unrealistic expectations, but the hotel was perfectly fine and met our needs effectively. It is a place we would stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Busy-retired
JackieMHilton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, 3 June 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I am very sorry for the noise disturbance; I hope that the staff's efforts to quiet the noise resulted in rest for you and your family. I am glad to hear that the rest of your stay was pleasant! We hope to have you staff with us during your next trip to Baltimore. Thanks, again!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We are military so we got a good deal on the room with breakfast. We paid $112/night for two nights and that included the full breakfast each morning. We arrived Friday. The hotel boasts a "$3 million dollar upgrade". The outside and grounds looked nice, and so did the lobby. The pool and hot tub are small. 3 ft to 5 ft deep which is good for smaller children. More than 5 splashing kids in that pool could wet the walls around the entire enclosure. There is a lifeguard on duty there while the pool is open. There is a workout room next to the pool that looked decent with a few treadmills (with video screens), a TV, free weights, and a water cooler.
I'm a Hilton Honors member (from buisness travel) and usually get a warm welcome and free water when I check in. That didn't happen. Also, my profile states, "low level away from the elevator." We were put on the top floor in the far corner. Not a big deal. But we booked a month in advance so I'm not sure why that wasn't honored.
The A/C and heat are on the wall. The unit was blowing the entire time and the room stayed between 74 and 78. Not a problem the first night because it was in the 50s outside. Saturday night (when we got back from the AWESOME NYY/Orioles game) it was muggy and hot in the room. My husband called down to ask about it and he was told to "play" with the controls. Well, nothing worked and we were uncomfortable all night. We didn't complain any further because we didn't want to move rooms at midnight before we checked out. I found out later from two other guests that they had the same problems with the A/C though they both moved rooms.
I don't know where the $3M went but it didn't go into the bathrooms. I like a clean bathroom. That's the first thing I notice when I open the door. There were new towels mixed with the old, gray ones (that look like they came out of the laundry on a Navy ship), the caulking was moldy, and it generally looked like it needed to be cleaned.
The front desk staff was very friendly. And the cook staff, too. The breakfast was worth the money (~$10 pp); all u can eat and made to order. Note: if it's busy you may have a long wait and may need to remind him that you ordered 20 minutes ago.
We put the DND sign out on Saturday morning so we could have breakfast and get ready to head out to the game without having people in and out of our room (the cleaning crew was already cleaning at 8). We told the front desk (by phone and as we were walking out the door) that we removed the sign and would like our room cleaned/fresh amenities while we were out. We came back around 10:30 that night to find that the room had NOT been touched. No towels, no shampoo/conditioner/soap. It was another minor inconvenience that made us decide NOT to stay here next time we come up. Oh, and we woke up Sunday morning to the carpet moving (ants were everywhere). This was NOT due to the trash not being emptied. In fact, we couldn't find the entry point anywhere. But there were tons and had infiltrated our dirty laundry bag. The front desk said they'd "send someone right up." An hour later we were checking out and nobody had been up to check.
Maybe, just maybe we got the crappy room because we paid a discounted price. If you are going to pay any more than $100 I'd look for somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: If you aren't happy, ask for a new room!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
JackieMHilton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We thank you for being a loyal Hilton Honors guest and taking the time to comment about your stay!

The Great American Grill does indeed have great food and prices with a wonderful staff!

We apologize for your requested room type not being honored, these details are very important to us as much as they are to you.

We will use your comments in our next scheduled training class to improve our staff and procedures.

If you would like to discuss anything further, or would like assistance in creating a reservation, please contact me directly at 410-691-0507. Thanks, again!
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 April 2011

The Hilton Garden Inn near BWI is a great place to stay. My wife and I were flying to Mexico on a very early flight and decided to stay near BWI overnight, as we live about 90 minutes from the airport. After contacting several hotels near the airport, we decided to stay at the Garden Inn as we are members of Hilton Honors and because the price included the convenience of leaving our car at the hotel and a pick-up at the airport upon our return a week later. This arrangement worked very well for us. The room was clean; the staff friendly and helpful, and the drop-off and pick-up at the airport on schedule. We will strongly consider this hotel as part of our future travel plans.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HoweJa
JackieMHilton, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We are so happy to hear that you were able to advantage of our complimentary 24 hour shuttle service! Hopefully you had a chance to enjoy breakfast at The Great American Grill before you flew out. Whenever you find yourself in the BWI area, we hope that you choose to stay with us again! Thank you for your kind review!
Timberville, Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We ALWAYS stay here when flying out on vacation. Love the clean, simple rooms, the pool and most of all LOVE< LOVE the shuttle drivers. We have been taken to and from the airport at all hours of the day and night. The drivers are always friendly and smiling no matter the time. The bargain price of "park & fly" and the easy friendly service are just wonderful.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dcvalley
JackieMHilton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We certainly appreciate your loyalty to Hilton Garden Inn BWI! We are so happy to be able to offer this shuttle service to our guest. Being an airport property, the majority of our guest's are traveling through BWI airport or the train station, and by offering this service we hope that it makes traveling a little bit easier. We look forward to you returning to Hilton Garden Inn BWI!
washington d.c.
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I stay in HGI's all over the country due to a bad back and the Garden Sleep System, but these 2 weeks killed my back - some of the beds are getting old and no longer change firmness. The furniture was also worn - no handles on my dresser drawers.
The service in the restaurant and the front desk was spotty - I walked by the front desk most days with no greeting or acknowledgment from the staff - I could have been a non-guest and they would not have even known I went into the hotel. Some of the staff were great - but very inconsistent.
Overall, this place is fine, but not the typical HGI standard I am accustomed to.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
JackieMHilton, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn BWI Airport, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay, we certainly do appreciate your feedback. We understand how the comfort level of a bed can affect the quality of sleep. We are very sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused during your stay. We appreciate your observations regarding the staff, and we will incorporate this in our on going training. We hope you decide to give us another chance if you find yourself in our area again. Please, contact me directly 410-691-0507 and I would be honored to assist in creating a reservation or to address any further comments or concerns. Thank you for your time and feedback!