“Sheraton-BWI”

Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Linthicum Heights
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Sheraton-BWI”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I booked this hotel via Hotwire. Upon arrival, the front desk clerk was very nice and accommodating. Unfortunately, that is the only pleasant thing I have to say about this hotel. Our room was right by the service room which was very loud. The room was dark and felt dirty. The shower could have used some bleach. The obnoxiously loud heating/air unity made it impossible to sleep. We checked out at 7am and after finding out our flight was delayed I immediately called the hotel to see if we could come back for a couple of hours, they stated that our room was already clean and we could not check back in unless we paid for the room again. I guess I understand why the room appeared dirty.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Jennie B
EDebsia, General Manager at Sheraton Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton BWI to be your home away from home. I really appreciate your feedback and your business. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future for any of your needs. … thanks and safe travels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Washington DC
Reviewed 15 January 2014

For me, the primary reason to stay at an "airport hotel" is the convenience of getting to the airport. Unfortunately, this hotel nearly failed to accomplish its primary purpose.

I had a 7:30 am flight and stayed at the hotel the night before the flight. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was told that the airport shuttle runs 24 hours a day, and you should be downstairs at least 15 minutes before you wish to go. I got up and was downstairs ready to go at 5:45 am. Since it was Christmas Eve morning, a number of people were already downstairs waiting to go to the airport. Around 6 am, a van arrived at the hotel that clearly could not accommodate all the people waiting. Instead of using the two larger vehicles that were sitting in the parking lot, the hotel packed as many people into the smaller van, and told those who did not get in that another van would arrive "shortly."

Shortly turned out to be another half hour. A different van arrived this time that still could not accommodate all the passengers. The driver of this van (who was at the end of his shift) said he would take half and another staff member (just starting his shift) would get a second van to take the rest. After waiting 15 minutes, the staff member, who said he was going to get a second van, returned and said another van would arrive "soon."

Soon turned out to be close to 7 am. After dropping off a customer at the Amtrak station, who had been waiting longer than me, we finally got to the BWI terminal. I was so late for my flight that they called my name, while I was going through security, and told me I had one minute to get to the gate or lose my seat.

Until this "airport hotel" can operate an efficient and reliable shuttle service, I will not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank CapTrav2012
Williamsburg
Reviewed 14 January 2014

As a long time guest of Starwood/Platinum Level - I found the Sheraton BWI a very pleasant surprise for Airport Hotels.

The MGMT, service and staff were friendly, helpful, and excellent.

The facilities were well maintained for an Airport Hotel.

The Hotel Bar/Dinning were busy but, service was very good. They have a pretty good wine list by the glass.

The rooms were comfortable, quiet and a good size.

Price wise provided good value.

Room Tip: I like room on the upper levels but, the hotel is in a very quiet so no matter where you chose in th...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Our family and friends decided to throw an art auction to aid the Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan and we needed a venue that was close to everyone, the BWI Sheraton was the perfect place. The portion of the ball room they put us in was more than enough space for the number of artist we were showing. The GM and the Banquets Manager were very attentive with the large cheese/cracker/fruit platter keeping the crackers filled and clearing plates quickly. For the auction being tossed together last minute it was a huge success and we thank the hospitality of the Sheraton for their excellent service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Henderson, NV
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Our family booked this hotel due to being stranded during the winter storm. We had originally stayed for two prior nights in New York (1/6-1/8) but our turbo-prop flights kept getting cancelled. So we took Amtrak to the BWI Airport Rail Station and made a reservation for Southwest Airlines' nonstop 737 service on 1/9.

The experience began with me calling at 12:44pm to request shuttle service at the rail station. I specifically requested pickup at the "BWI Airport Rail Station" which is the common name most people know it as. The employee on the phone did not know what I was talking about. She asked, "What is the BWI Airport Rail Station"? I thought I might have called the wrong city but the employee then asked, "Do you mean the Amtrak station"? I said yes realizing she did not know the full name. It actually is not solely an Amtrak station but also a Marc station. So the employees should be more familiar with the various names it is referred to as well as the official name. I was given about a 20 minute wait time. At 1:04pm I called inquiring why the shuttle had not yet arrived. This other employee stated that you have to call when you arrive at the station. I told her that is exactly what I did 20 minutes ago. I was then told one would be sent over. Still no shuttle so after 15 minutes I called a third time to get a estimated time of arrival. I was told 12 minutes and this time it finally came. I was happy to get out of there and on on to the hotel because the cab drivers were being really obnoxious with people. I wanted to use the shuttle service since it is incuded in the hotel rate. Anyway the driver whose name I forget was extremely kind and understanding of our situation being stranded. He knew all about the aggressive cabbies soliciting people for rides at the station. He also went on to explain all of the hotel's food and beverage options which was really helpful. This was my favorite employee at the hotel.

Check-in was efficient and the front desk agent was extremely friendly and informative aout the hotel. Upon entering the room I noticed the safe was locked by a previous guest so it was unusable. We asked the front desk for assistance. I had mentioned that the prior guest might have left something inside. The front desk agent thought that was silly and that anyone would have called if they had left something valuable in the safe. But how do you really know until maintenance gets it open? People might not realize they had left something in there until a day later. Anyway, we got it open and the front desk agent's intuition was correct. The prior guest did not forget to take anything out, they just failed to leave the safe open prior to leaving. This is where houskeeping should come in. They should check that the safe doors have not been locked and get maintenance into the room to open it back up. This way the next guest does not have to waste time going down, asking for help and waiting a while for the right person to fix the situation.

The room itself was underwhelming. It had a loud heat/air conditioning unit so it was kind of distracting while watching the television. We had to get our earplugs on to sleep. At the window there was also a lot of dust and a dead insect of some type just sitting there. Does housekeeping ever check the window sills? The bathroom was just strange. The shower area was not elevated at all from the regular bathroom floor area and the shower curtain only extended from the top to 1ft above the floor. So every time a shower was taken the water would pool 1-2ft onto the regular bathroom floor and one had to mop up the flooded area. Otherwise the next person using the sink would step in wet water. I'm wondering if this was a handicap/accesible room due to the shower configuration and large square footage in the room. If so, we should have been informed at check-in or the room should have been labelled as such. The TV had no guest service function to be able to check the folio, so no Express checkout at your TV either. Sheratons almost always have this as a standard feature.

Sometime in the late afternoon the fire alarm went off. We took the appropriate stair exit but then saw everyone in the lobby from the outside. So we went into the lobby. I struck up a conversation with a fellow guest who had stayed the prior night and she stated the fire alarm also went off at midnight on her first night. She said the same thing happened, the firetruck drove by without stopping (probably because they get a lot of false alarms from this hotel). Just as the prior instance mentioned by the guest, there was no "all clear" communication from the aloof staff or management. Everyone kind of just decided to go back to their rooms on their own. Bottom line, the hotel needs to get their act together with its alarm system. If it keeps going off during a stay where a guest is staying many nights, they are just going to ignore it.

One positive aspect about this hotel is all of the food choices. Its a good thing because there is nothing else within walking distance nearby. We had a great lunch. The broccoli soup and salmon wraps were delicious and I took advantage of the extensive menu at the bar later in the evening. The $15 breakfast buffet was also great to get our day started. Our server was very nice and was prompt with coffee and orange juice refills. You don't have to sit in the dining area either. You can order something there and take it up to your room.

Checkout went well. Its nice to have the computer terminals in the lobby to check in for your flight and check email. But the printer was not aligned properly. The printed Southwest boarding passes came out with all information cut off two inches into the left margin. So our names didn't show up fully and had to get them reprinted at the airport. We requested a ride to the airport on the shuttle and it arrived in ten minutes.

So overall, the hotel is just kind of average for me. Certainly not to the standards of a Sheraton in any given major city, but ok for one night if no other option is available. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Meadows015
New Mexico
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I did not have a good experience at this hotel. We were only there for one night, which was a good thing. The staff was nice, and we appreciated that. We got off the elevator and tried to walk down the hall to our room. Two cleaning carts were in the middle of the hall, which we had to push out of our way. Not a person was in sight. Our room have could certainly used an update. We found marks on the walls in our room and bathroom, as well as hair. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. And there was a musty odor of some sort. We are Starwoods Gold members and think most of their hotels are wonderful. We were disappointed in this property.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Kellynewmexico
EDebsia, General Manager at Sheraton Baltimore Washington Airport - BWI, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have had family from out of town come for a visit and recommended this hotel. Their room was great and staff was very accommodating. We had dinner one night at the hotel restaurant and it was superb. The GM was in the hotel that evening and stopped by our table to check in. Very pleasant atmosphere. This is the hotel of choice for all of my out of town visitors!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family